Amazon Kindle

I got the Amazon Kindle for Christmas. I read quite a bit and it will be a very thing to have handy. However, the downside is that Im still young, I would like to eventually have an in home library filled with the physical relics of things I've read. Upon getting the Kindle, I saw this future desire diminishing. Should I just get over wanting a library with endless books and bookcases, and just enjoy the Kindle for all it greatness? I havent bought any books on it yet, but I did just get it, hehe, so any thoughts or criticisms on the device?

My brother has had one for over a year. He swears by it. I had a chance to play with it my last visit. I'm not a fan. I'm a touch and feel paper kind of guy. One of my hobbies is observing with a telescope (the skies, fellas, not the neighbors' windows :huh:). While I use software for looking at charts on my computer, I still love looking at bound paper star charts and always take them outside w/ me while observing. The big plus for a kindle is if you travel and read a lot. My brother reads a ton for work and is on the road... lots of newspapers, magazines, journals, trade papers, technical books, etc. It certainly saves a lot of space. Maybe save your downloads for things like these, as well as airport novels or beach reading. Get paper versions of any more substantial books or things you may want to keep (not sure how you determine that up front). You can always get a paper copy of something you want to have after you Kindle it. I have had good luck getting inexpensive used books in great condition from AbeBooks ( http://www.abebooks.com/ ) or from Amazon's used vendors. (On edit: Many of these are new books that were closeouts or remainders... mint condition at steep discount used prices.)

Regards,

Rick

I've had mine a month. It's fantastic. I hear the traditionalist argument, but the kindle is very light and easy to hold and the list of books, magazines, newspapers and blogs that one can get is getting better and better. Holding a big hardcover can be a bit awkward. The light weight and the speed of the page change have sold me. The thing is great.

I haven't had any interest in it, or its Sony counterpart, because of the "traditionalist" thing. I like flipping pages and reading hardbacks. However, my closemindedness (sure, its a word) led me to believe it was just for books, so I paid no attention. The idea of reading newspapers and magazines on it is intriguing to me. Might be worth looking into for that purpose. However, I'm pretty sure I would stick to my hardbacks.

I'm a bibliophile. I love the feel and smell of books. I read voraciously and have a fairly extensive collection of books.

I also have a kindle. We're actually a three kindle family (myself, wife and daughter). The kindle is just entirely too convenient and I spend an hour each way on the train every morning. Carrying books is a pain and the kindle is *perfect* for commuting. It was also perfect for when we went on our Alaskan cruise.

I thought I wouldn't like it because I love books themselves. However, I also love my kindle. I highly recommend it.

-- Gary F.

I like the look and feel of the book too... All the physical parts of it. The Kindle was a gift though, I never saw myself owning one. Ive already taken a liking to it though, I am now subscribed to the Onion :huh:. I love the paperback and there are used book stores everywhere with cheap ones... Im happy with it.

I hear the love of physical books argument. But, I am old enough to remember the people who said the didn't like CDs because they didn't have liner notes, lol. I think the Kindle type device is the wave of the future and as resources become scarcer paper books will become very expensive and less available.

i have absolutely not a clue what a kindle is (when i saw it on the amazon site, i assumed it was big lettering or something like that but sounds not). if it means i can't have my books, then no interest. have piles of them all over the house and bookshelves full, some read, far too many still in the 'must read that' category but would feel naked without them and no one wants that.

I agree completely with Ken on this one--I have acquired in the last couple years a staggering amount of books that I have yet to read that all sit up on the bookshelf. I like the tangible nature of newspapers and books...and I don't want to have to re-buy books I already own physically.

That said, if it were a gift, I would probably grow to enjoy it and use it on my commute.

It doesn't mean you can't have books, it means you can carry 1500 books with you in a ten oz format. If you travel it is a god send. My pals in the publishing biz say it is coming and you won't be able to stop it.

I love physical books and thought that would keep me from enjoying the Kindle, but after using my wife's for a short time I had to have one. It's perfect for travelling. We used to pack an extra suitcase full of books for our trip to Jamaica, now we save the extra baggage cost and bring our Kindle instead. It's also perfect for one handed reading since you just press a button to change the page. Give me my Kindle, a cigar and a beverage on the deck and I'm happy.

It's got a built-in dictionary so you can highlight any word and instantly look it up.

My first "ah-ha" moment was when I finished the book I was reading on the flight to LAX. I walked into the overpriced bookstore in the International terminal and downloaded several sample chapters on the Kindle for books that looked good. I walked upstairs and had dinner while reading the samples and choosing a couple to purchase. I then had a couple books for the flight to Taiwan. So simple, so convenient.

I can't imagine life without it now.

Reading on a kindle screen is *nothing* like a computer screen. The display is an "electronic ink" display. It's not backlit and its extremely easy on the eyes. Like reading ink on paper.

-- Gary F.

I'd go so far to say it's a bit better than a physical book. One can adjust print and line size. Add in the speed of page turn and the light weight of the device of the Kindle and it's a winner all around. I don't know anyone who has one who doesn't love it. The list of available books needs to grow but I have down loaded stuff that is fantastic for next to nothing. The entire collection of Sherlock Holmes, which I have not read, for something like $4.

Reading on a kindle screen is *nothing* like a computer screen. The display is an "electronic ink" display. It's not backlit and its extremely easy on the eyes. Like reading ink on paper.

-- Gary F.

Interesting - thanks for enlightening me! :) This goes a long way towards explaining their growing popularity.

Am I the only one who remembers WHERE things are in books? This might seem strange, but I often remember the physical location of some fact in a book. I actually feel like the physical location helps me remember the fact. That is something that is totally absent in electronic text. I have tried reading a number of books on my iPhone, but I always feel somehow less connected to the information and have a harder time remembering what is going on in those books.

Brad

Am I the only one who remembers WHERE things are in books?

No, you're not. I use that kind of visual cue a lot.

But, this thread got me to go look at the Amazon site and check out Kindle.

I didn't see anything about pictures. If a book has pictures, do they appear in the Kindle?

Is there a way to make notes on a page?

I guess those questions mark me as old-fashioned. Or too academic-minded. Or as someone who just likes to look at the pictures. All true. I can, however, also see the benefits of this thing.

No, you're not. I use that kind of visual cue a lot.

But, this thread got me to go look at the Amazon site and check out Kindle.

I didn't see anything about pictures. If a book has pictures, do they appear in the Kindle?

Is there a way to make notes on a page?

I guess those questions mark me as old-fashioned. Or too academic-minded. Or as someone who just likes to look at the pictures. All true. I can, however, also see the benefits of this thing.

The Kindle does show pictures, they're obviously black & white since it's not a color device. You can also make notes on a page.

As for the "where" something is, it may not be exactly what you're looking for but there is a scale at the bottom of the page so you always have a feel for "where" in the book you are. One oddity is there is no concept of page numbers, which makes sense when you realize that you can change the font size which changes pagination.

If you know someone who has one, check it out. Not sure if they still do, but Amazon used to allow people to join a list on the Amazon site for people nearby who wanted to check one out.