Deletions 2010...

Which 2010 deletion would you save?  

231 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Neal,

I have bought and smoked many boxes of both the Diplomatico's on the cut list and regularly purchase #1's and #3's when I come across them if a reasonable price.

As far as I am concerned, this is far more about homogenization of brands and the marketing of "flagship lines". Just because the market or profit margin for, say the diplomatico, is not as high as say a 100 dollar siglo 6, Coro, PSD4, or RyJ Churchill, does not mean that there is not a valuable and devoted buyer base for them.

IMO, this was a poorly thought out marketing decision, and not one based on sound business thinking.

It seems more and more, HSA is far more interested in creating homogenous lines of cigars, indistiguishable from one another, as well as focusing on production of RE's, EL's. I guess, as long as people clamor for the newest limited release, attention is diverted from the quality and diversity of the rest of the HSA portfolio. It appears that HSA sees the future of their business in limited release stuff and the collapsing of lesser known brands (some fear of brand dilution perhaps?)... I think it's a huge mistake.

The future is looking more and more like you will be able to either purchase one of 5 different regular production robusto's or CG's suffering inconsistent quality or taste, or you can drop twice the coin for some RE with the hope that it will be worth it...not a pretty sight IMO.

I'm sorry that you will be losing a favorite smoke of yours. I went through that last year with the SS 1, Bonitas and Immensa-- so I get it.

I'm not sure that I see homogenization of the brands going on here as you indicate. Instead, I think they are letting the market dictate what they should continue to manufacture. That is not a bad marketing decision, it is the only correct marketing decision for them to pursue. All companies support their winners and cut their losers if they want to remain profitable. Promoting flagship lines is the essence of what the marketing department is in the building to do. The road is filled with the bodies of brands that tried to tell the majority of consumers that they were wrong.

I don't have one single stick in my humidor over 50 ring gauge--most are under 46-- but I am not in the majority and I am getting whacked by the times we live in.

If you were the head of marketing at Habanos, you would be doing your job superbly by creating a $100 Siglo VI that not only produces great margins but generates tremendous public relations and editorial ink and furthers the brand mythology as a whole. A product like this is pure brand gold. You can only be a hero by green lighting this one. In fact, they'll write books about what a genius you were in a decade or two from now. But none of this momentum is created by a Diplomatico anything. At one time maybe--but not now. Punch Churchills and RG anything will be in stock for years and we all know why. It's time for change and the market has said that this is where that change should take place.

But, as I said earlier, I think we can save the Connies and I think we should focus on doing so. That would truly be fantastic.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Neal,

I have bought and smoked many boxes of both the Diplomatico's on the cut list and regularly purchase #1's and #3's when I come across them if a reasonable price.

As far as I am concerned, this is far more about homogenization of brands and the marketing of "flagship lines". Just because the market or profit margin for, say the diplomatico, is not as high as say a 100 dollar siglo 6, Coro, PSD4, or RyJ Churchill, does not mean that there is not a valuable and devoted buyer base for them.

IMO, this was a poorly thought out marketing decision, and not one based on sound business thinking.

It seems more and more, HSA is far more interested in creating homogenous lines of cigars, indistiguishable from one another, as well as focusing on production of RE's, EL's. I guess, as long as people clamor for the newest limited release, attention is diverted from the quality and diversity of the rest of the HSA portfolio. It appears that HSA sees the future of their business in limited release stuff and the collapsing of lesser known brands (some fear of brand dilution perhaps?)... I think it's a huge mistake.

The future is looking more and more like you will be able to either purchase one of 5 different regular production robusto's or CG's suffering inconsistent quality or taste, or you can drop twice the coin for some RE with the hope that it will be worth it...not a pretty sight IMO.

I'm sorry that you will be losing a favorite smoke of yours. I went through that last year with the SS 1, Bonitas and Immensa-- so I get it.

I'm not sure that I see homogenization of the brands going on here as you indicate. Instead, I think they are letting the market dictate what they should continue to manufacture. That is not a bad marketing decision, it is the only correct marketing decision for them to pursue. All companies support their winners and cut their losers if they want to remain profitable. Promoting flagship lines is the essence of what the marketing department is in the building to do. The road is filled with the bodies of brands that tried to tell the majority of consumers that they were wrong.

I don't have one single stick in my humidor over 50 ring gauge--most are under 46-- but I am not in the majority and I am getting whacked by the times we live in.

If you were the head of marketing at Habanos, you would be doing your job superbly by creating a $100 Siglo VI that not only produces great margins but generates tremendous public relations and editorial ink and furthers the brand mythology as a whole. A product like this is pure brand gold. You can only be a hero by green lighting this one. In fact, they'll write books about what a genius you were in a decade or two from now. But none of this momentum is created by a Diplomatico anything. At one time maybe--but not now. Punch Churchills and RG anything will be in stock for years and we all know why. It's time for change and the market has said that this is where that change should take place.

But, as I said earlier, I think we can save the Connies and I think we should focus on doing so. That would truly be fantastic.

small point but am I wrong in thinking that not all of the vitolas are being deleted, rather just some packaging sizes. i.e. the Punch Churchill will no longer be available in a 50 cab, but you can still get it in a 25 box. Unless I've misread the other posts of course...?

I agree Neal.

The one thing that HSA may take into account is the argument of a migration to NC and hence less dollars spent on Habanos at a time when every cent counts for them.

I think this is a good tack.

My logic goes something like this. The loss of these cigars in favor of larger ring cigars (RE, ELs, etc) will alienate the small ring aficionado and he will be lost as a customer. His preferences will force him to migrate to NC and hence. . .

Wasn't REY DEL MUNDO CHOIX SUPREME on the original list?

That' the one I would have voted for

Just the 50 Cab of the Choix Supreme. They will still be available in the 25 Box.

I'll do whatever I can for this effort. Knowing that my favorite Cigar, the SP Sanchos, has already been discontinued, and that this has already pissed me off to no end - I have yet to try the Party Connies, but with such a following, I don't want anyone else to lose their favorite cigar when I already lost mine!

VIVE PARTY CONNIES! And to a lesser extend, the SLR Coronas, which I voted for :D

Just the cab of 50 is on the list.

Thanks for the explanation, tandblov; glad to learn that my Choix suprême are safe :D

As someone who still has a lot to learn, I wonder if someone could explain the codes following the cigar names, e.g.:

SLB-UW-GPSR-M-n-50 (Following ERDM Choix Suprême), etc.

Thanks

lots on there that I am going to be sad to see go but the LGC Med #1 hurts the most I'm afraid. Connie 3 close 2nd and Dip 4 close 3rd. ERDM GDE is on that I have had just begun to really enjoy but dont have enough experience with. Not yet at least.

I agree as the LGC Med #1 is the only one I have had multiple boxes of. It's one of the most relaxing and elegant cigars I have smoked. I have never tried any of the Partagas Connie's but am very intrigued now. The Dip 4 and punch royal seleccion 11 are a close second and third.

I'm wondering if this is just a marketing ploy to drum up sales of under performing cigars(sales wise) . What is the historical precedence on cigars being taken off the "final" deletion list?

While I understand the sorrow over the Connie line, I would have to cast my vote for the Punch RS11. My second choice would be the RGCE. These would be the two smokes that I enjoy the most of this list and therefore would be the most sorry to see them go.

Only one, it would have to be SDC #1.

Close behind, though, SDC #2, #3; LGC #1, #3; RG Coronas Extra,,, (sigh!)

I'm wondering if this is just a marketing ploy to drum up sales of under performing cigars(sales wise) . What is the historical precedence on cigars being taken off the "final" deletion list?

Two years ago, at my hotel's cigar shop in Cuba,

I saw a few boxes of Partagas Coronas Grandes, dated 2005.

These cigars were officially discontinued in the great shake-up of 2002.

I even tried a few singles, but, fool that I am, did not buy a box.

According to MRN, these have always been rare cigars,

even when supposedly in regular production.

So, whatever posessed HSA to do a production run in '05??

It was certainly not that customers were clamouring for them,

as very few experienced smokers had ever seen or even heard of these cigars.

did they find a bunch of empty boxes of the Corona Grande size,

so they produced cigars to fill them?

Perhaps the cigars were actually rolled in '02 or before, but they had no boxes until '05!

Did they happen to have a quantity of just the right tobacco?

We'll never know.

Partagas Connie 1/2/3, Dip 4,5 ....Punch Royal Seletion 1&2......LGC No 1?

Like trying to choose which child to save.

Just what I was thinking.

I love the PC's especially since the best ones are disappearing quickly which includes the D-4 and the RS-12. The fact remains however that with the likes of the P SdC #1 gone along with the ERdM GdE, there are very few Habanos worthy of my money left to buy.

I have not been a fan of the LGC line in general but they are stalwart cigars none the less. Killing whole families of cigars is genocide in my book!

FU Tabacuba!

I voted Connie #1 even though my personal favorite of the group is the #2 (based on value). I am going back to weeping in the recliner now!

Like saying which arm I want to cut of...

Diplomaticos #4

Diplomaticos #5

La Gloria Cubana Medaille D'or No.3

Partagás Serie Connoisseur No.1,2,3

Saint Luis Rey Churchills

i dont even know how to order them, I will miss them all, defintiv get several boxes to have a bit of stock

Voted for Rey del Mundo Grandes de España.

A question to El Presidente:

How do the cigars on the deletion list fare in your sales statistics? A quick run-through of the cigar review forum seems to indicate a lack of interest in the cigars listed. Might be an unfair method, but somehow my feeling is that we all bear some responsibility...

This deletion list really sucks!! I was just getting into trying and purchasing some of these cigars to add to my regular rotation and now they are disco'd. :party:

I voted for the Partaga Sdc No.1 as it is one of my all time favorite cigars.

• 3 weeks later...