New Humidor Construction:

PigFish

For giggles I thought I might write up a little about the new humidor project that I started a couple of days ago. From the look it would appear to the layman that there is little or no difference from my published project but looks are deceiving. I am applying some new theories to this model (V 3.0) so that I may try to lessen two effects common to sealed refrigerated humidors.post-79-1256109571.jpg

1) Their natural tendency to creep up in humidity during certain months.

And

2) Their tendency to continue to cool past their cooling cycle as the cooling coils absorb energy from the cabinet.

Changes in this humidor which might aid in humidity creep. I am largely separating the cooling coil from the interior now. Behind the cedar is an ABS plastic sheet designed to now limit non-deliberate airflow from contacting the cooling coil.

post-79-1256110492.jpg

As a result there may be lesser residual moisture returning to the interior verses being recycled into the humidifier. I am now using a NC relay to lock out the humidifier during refrigeration cycles. As a result the two systems will not work as hard against each other by not allowing the humidifier to pump moist air into the environment while the cooler is running only to be stripped out by the cooling coil. This may result in a greater drop in humidity during cooling cycles but it is my that it well help reduce overloading the humidor during times of cooling. I am exploit the best of both systems; one where a passive humidifier is used (a full stabilized humidor) and active systems where "new" water vapor is required to bring the humidor to the desired levels.

I am also changing airflow in the humidifier as a whole and I am greatly anticipating seeing how certain theories work out as a result. I am reversing the airflow over the cooling coil from pulling cool air off the coil to suppling warm air to it. This should increase the circulation of cool air and shorten the cooling cycle. I have now used the thermocouple provided by the cooler manufacturer by modifying it to shorten the duty cycle of the refrigerator.

post-79-1256109642.jpg

As the cooling plate cools the thermocouple will be used in series with the control relay to cycle the refrigerator on and off while the cooling fan runs continuously. When called upon to deliver cooled air, the refrigerator will run independently reducing sub-zero time at that coil. This theory has worked nicely on the test bench so far.

post-79-1256110139.jpg

Next I will be installing variable speed controls on both the humidifier supply fan as well as the humidifier controlled circulation fan. By being able to independently control the fans one will be able to fine tune the amount of circulation from the two DC fans in order to trim up the system and tweak it on the fly to meet changing conditions. The humidifier circulation fan is now segregated and not ported to the cooling coil. This allows for general circulation in the enclosure without the additional cooling effect of using air ported to the coil.

There is now an exterior vent that will allow for some airflow and evaporation between the interior and the exterior of the humidor.

post-79-1256110197.jpg

I am theorizing that in cooler whether when the cooling system has little demand and lesser subsequent effects on interior humidity the cooler dryer outer environment will allow for diffusion of moist air and cause a steady but gradual loss of moisture in the unit more like natural wood humidors.

I don't know that I will be creating a new how-to project as that is a considerable amount of work. Much of the theory remains the same but rather than shortcutting wiring as was done in my last projcet I am going out to the next level for control purposes. Hell, I even considered the purchase of an independent relay timer and control unit.

-Maybe next time! - :clap:

post-79-1256109894.jpg

post-79-1256110016.jpg

Would be very interested to see if you theories work out in application. Please do keep us posted.

Interesting project. On a related note, I am looking for any info on creating one of these refrigerated cigar storage devices using a freezer. Any tips, links etc are appreciated.

I have zero experience on this subject but I've wondered how something like this would work with a freezer.

http://www.kegworks.com/product.php?produc...=778&page=1

Great Post as always Piggy :jester:

Will be watching this one with much interest

For I will probably be going down this road myself in the not so near future.

so a little knowledge is not a dangerous thing. :D

Cheers Oz :lol:

I have to admit that humidors blend a lot of my interests and I really do enjoy making them as well as engineering them. I like the cigar aspect of course; then there is building a better mousetrap through creative construction and some application of science in the design. I toss in a little simple woodworking and walla!

This was my first day back at the project after a week off for another fun-filled stay in my beloved local hospital! But it is back on my feet again and back to the mousetrap! I admit to pondering almost endlessly about how to make it better while i was not working on it. I may end up changing this one before its completion. - :pig:

I have to admit that humidors blend a lot of my interests and I really do enjoy making them as well as engineering them. I like the cigar aspect of course; then there is building a better mousetrap through creative construction and some application of science in the design. I toss in a little simple woodworking and walla!

This was my first day back at the project after a week off for another fun-filled stay in my beloved local hospital! But it is back on my feet again and back to the mousetrap! I admit to pondering almost endlessly about how to make it better while i was not working on it. I may end up changing this one before its completion. - :2thumbs:

Piggy...sorry to hear about your hospital stay. Glad to see that you are up and about again.

• 3 months later...

Hi Ray

was just wondering how V.3 was going and how much you have deviated from original revision plans

cheers Oz :cigar:

I haven't unfortunately. I have been feeling a bit poorly lately... part of the problem relating to my cigar funk no doubt. I am still trying to figure out if it is my heart again or something else.

It will be based on 160 bottle cooler. I have yet to buy the cooler but have been working on functionality ideas when I have the time. I am stalled a little here until I feel a bit better. A healthy cigar lust really gets me stoked to build a project like this and it just has not been there. I mean yesterday I lit up an '04 PLPC and only smoked it for 10 minutes.

If this goes on much longer don't be surprised if I am starting save the whale threads!!! :cigar:

You know Ozzy I think I read your post wrong. I thought you were talking of my V 4.0 project not this one. Confusion is my middle name these days!

This one is all done and it really works very well. In the time that it has been running I think I have only put about 3 oz of water in it and it does not really recycle water meaning that the evaporation vent is doing its job. It goes through a small amount of water and never really goes over humidified. This system also has a high humidity trigger for the cooling system. It cycles the system on really fast to lower humidity over 66 rh.

My shop should be in the 80's today and maybe a good day to data log the system again today. On the changes I think I went over most of them in the previous posts but I will have to reread them to recount them. I will try to do that for you in the next couple of days and perhaps write up a summation. This, I do believe, is the best system have built so far. I think it is better than can be bought by the major US companies. JMHO!

Cheers Mate! Thanks for asking. -R

Thanks Ray

That is really good your theories seem to be bearing fruit ,but more importantly lets hope this funk ,passes soon ,stay safe and stay healthy

cheers mate

Steve

Cedar planks are re-sawn from 5/4 cedar rough lumber and planed by yours truly. The rough cedar I get from a local supplier.

hahaha now i feel like a dork cause i didnt even think about getting the rough lumber and planing it down hahaha thanks !! :D :D :rolleyes:

If the weather holds I will be running more tests on this box. Yesterday showed that I needed to move off "winter" settings and back to warm weather settings. I also added some water. This could be short lived but I moved the cooling system temp down and the humidity "high" level down. If the shop heats up I should get a good test.

This is the box now. As I count 33 boxes of cigars (plus or minus)!

post-79-1266507750.jpg