Perfecting cigars!

I have been corresponding privately with a some folks about cigar preferences and some of the philosophies behind our smoking trends and beliefs. As a result we have touched on some interesting topics; topics which might provide for some interesting community involvement.

I have often thought of posting a thread about the life stages, or evolution of the Habanos smoker. I think that at this point I have observed enough neophyte and seasoned cigar enthusiasts to conclude that we all tend to evolve and it is my belief that we venture through this hobby in similar fashions.

Avoiding my initial draw to this topic; talking about the evolutionary stages themselves, I have decided to talk a bit about the two extremes. One, the position of many a neophyte; exploring and looking for the perfect cigar and two; looking to perfect cigar smoking.

I am categorizing myself into category number two; looking to perfect cigar smoking. You see I believe that I know a little something today of the strengths and weaknesses of the Cuban cigar. That cigar wisdom has been acquired over many years of smoking both CC and NC cigars alike. I admittedly know lesser about NC cigars today as they are not my passion or pursuit. I do still have experiences with them however and those experiences guide me and keep me on the path to the best cigars, those being of Cuban provenance.

Now I am not saying that there are limitations, numbers of years or numbers of cigars smoked to graduate into this realm. I am suggesting though that my evolution has been an organic process, one not really by design at the onset but one of deliberate focus now nonetheless. I think that I explored CC smoking like many a neophyte. I used a shotgun approach and looked to smoke as many cigars of different sizes and shapes, years and makes to try and find my niche. Today, I believe that I have found that niche. The "niche" is the cause of my opinionated nature on the subject and the impetus for my impassioned writings. I am no longer searching for the perfect cigar, I am attempting to find perfection in smoking them.

What I mean by finding perfection in smoking cigars is really described in a topic that I wrote here a while back which referenced "up-averaging." I am not really going to go back into that topic as that is more about the introduction into the process whereas this topic is about where you are, where I am, and the hows and to whys we are getting to where we are going.

Are you a modern animal, or are you still evolving. Open minded, opinionated and stubborn, curios, lost and searching or confident and searching; where do you fit into this chronology and where is it taking you; other than the poor house? Thanks for reading. -Senior Pig

Are you a modern animal, or are you still evolving. Open minded, opinionated and stubborn, curios, lost and searching or confident and searching

Objectively, I'm probably a bit of each. Subjectively, I'd like to think I'm open minded, curious, searching, but confident in my ability to

separate the wheat from the chaff.

But with regards to Cuban cigars and the company that produces them, fairly recently I've come to the realization and understanding that

what happens really doesn't matter all that much in the grand scheme of things. The politics involved, decisions made and to be made,

pricing, quality, etc, etc, etc - I've pretty much let it all go.

I have very little in the way of control in these matters, other than choosing what I smoke and choosing to smoke at all, so I no longer allow

any of these matters to bother me. Truth be told, smoking a cigar is a simple pleasure for me - really nothing more. It's not about status,

it's not about snobbery. If it were to ever become work - more than the simple enjoyment it is - I can easily walk away.

Are you a modern animal, or are you still evolving. Open minded, opinionated and stubborn, curios, lost and searching or confident and searching; where do you fit into this chronology and where is it taking you; other than the poor house? Thanks for reading. -Senior Pig

I am a modern animal and I am still evolving.

These two are not mutually exclusive.

When I am not being a curio I am a mundane. I enjoy being both but try not to be arrogant about it.

If I am opinionated it is not about the same issue twice in a row.

I try not to confuse opinions with facts, or confuse being serious with being somber but I have a tough time with this one.

I never ever think, talk or write in absolutes.

I was almost sixty when I tasted single malt for the first time but I drink hot tea with my cigars.

When I was blacksmithing I really liked Parodi cigars.

To me it is less of a linear chronlogy and more of an iterative process so I often find myself somewhere that I've already been. But since I'm lost most of the time and have no memory to speak of, it doesn't matter anyway.

Recently I accepted the notion that I would probably not know perfection if it jumped up and bit me on the ass.

I move effortlessly from fantasy to fantasy.

Piggy I guess for me its a bit of both as well. Only having been seriously into Habanos for 2 years now I recognize that I am very young experience wise. Having the opportunity to smoke with those who have been enjoying Habanos for 20+ years is a great experience for a few reasons. I can see my tastes expanding and preferances changing over the years but that doesnt leave me worried about a purchase I am considering today. I mean, I dont hesitate to buy a box of something I know I will love today worried about whether 8 years from now I will generally prefer X type of cigars. With that said I am confident in myself and what I like. Currently I am working/buying actively toward finding both the perfect cigar AND perfecting the smoking experience. I do recognize that there is just no replacement for experience and I cherish every great cigar I smoke and experience it creates, its why I love this hobby.

I am still open minded on recommendations. I am also confident and searching as I believe I have a good idea about what I like. I think both complement each other and make perfect sense to me.

It is the search that I enjoy. Knowing fully well that the path is not straight and narrow.

I embrace the journey. - The Kat

Avoiding my initial draw to this topic; talking about the evolutionary stages themselves, I have decided to talk a bit about the two extremes. One, the position of many a neophyte; exploring and looking for the perfect cigar and two; looking to perfect cigar smoking.

are you still evolving. Open minded, opinionated and stubborn, curios, lost and searching or confident and searching; where do you fit into this chronology and where is it taking you; other than the poor house? Thanks for reading. -Senior Pig

Senior Piggy,

I'm a part of all that you described and of none that you define.

After more then 38 years My quest is still the same.

This , for me, has been my ultimate search when it come to cigars.

I have used it for years. It's always been my goal.

" Découverte, Passion et Maitrise du Habano "

Now it's up to you to translate and you'll see that all of what you're saying

is sumed up in those words. ;)

I suppose Piggy I am continually searching for the Holy Grail but long ago I worked out that it is not one Marque or vitola. I have enjoyed thousands of cigars, liked thousands, so so on thousands and been disappointed by a thousand more.

Yet there have been cigars which have captured my imagination, cigar experiences which have stopped me cold in wonderment at the flavour and complexity. They are the cigars which I remember to this day and they number maybe 100.

They are the cigars which keep me coming back, they are the Holy Grail and they don't necessarilly come with Cohiba, Davidoff, Dunhill or LE bands.

I'm definitely still in the former category rather than the latter. Being new to the Cuban cigar expereince, I am still in search of those particular smokes that really standout and make an impression upon me. Hopefully soon I will be able to evolve.

I have smoked 4 cuban cigars in my life. Each one delicious, each one different. I am not new to cigars, but to CCs, I'm very new. Ive been doing my research about the tobacco, the land, the people, the process, and the culture, and I am definitely open to learning more about the cuban cigar. As for NCs go... Id like to think that I am relatively knowledgeable in that area.

Interesting topic. Similar to Samb, I am very inexperienced with CCs. As such, I try to experience as many vitolas and marques as possible. What you describe as the "shot gun" approach many would characterize as a necessary part of the learning curve. Knowledge of CCs is not the same as wisdom. It takes experience, time, and desire to acquire the later. Or as J.S. Mill presciently stated:

"It is better to be a human being dissatisfied than a pig satisfied. Better to be Socrates dissatisfied than a fool dissatisfied. And if the fool or the pig are of a different opinion, it is because they only know their side of the question.”*

Therefore, I am curious, open minded, and sometimes lost.

*That is not meant as a slight toward you Mr. Piggy. I enjoy your perspective as you make me think critically about this hobby.