Suckling bites the dust after a RA

I wonder how much of it he smoked - one third? lol!!

The Killer Cigar

I have a drippy sinus this morning and my head doesn't fell all that well. I am a bit clammy and I can't breathe perfectly well. If I was passing through the airport, a health official might stop me. They might think it is swine flu, or some strange respiratory bug.

But it is the aftereffects of a very strong Cuban cigar that I smoked after a dinner at my friend's house in Hong Kong. My friend warned me. And now he simply says it is the effect of the killer cigar ­—a 1994 Ramon Allones Gigantes. The double corona was like a double-barreled shotgun to the head.

I haven't found a Cuban cigar like that in a long time. In fact, it was Habanos from about 1991 to 1995 that I remember being the most powerful. I still remember smoking a Bolivar Belicoso Fino in 1995 in London that made me dizzy. I had to put it down.

Honestly, I am not a great fan of such strong cigars. I like the better-balanced smokes. A great cigar is not about strength but harmony and balance.

I heard a story about an American who came to visit the tobacco grower Alejandro Robania at his plantation in Pinar del Río. The big man said that he wanted to taste the strongest cigar the veteran tobacco man could make with his family reserve of tobacco. So Alejandro made one with almost all ligero—the strongest filler tobacco.

Alejandro said he turned green after a few puffs and puked [suckling's brother?]. The old man still laughs when he tells the story. "Stupid man," he chuckles. "The man was really crazy."

Maybe some people like getting stoned on cigars. But I can't say I do. I am going to take note next time my friend tells me "I have a special cigar for you," even if it's after a few bottles of great wine.

(BTW, I don't regularly visit this site. Just today I have very little to do.. ahem...)

Someone needs to tell Jimbo to put his "Big Boy Pants' on and get a grip. His panties getting in a wad does not make him look much like a professional, opps, did I mistakenly refer to him as a professional?

I've read some his reviews.. Just wondering why people don't like him?

James appears to polarize the cigar community. Some love him and some hate him.

I like James. We have had some pretty good discussions on cigar/cigars and he is certainly knowledgeable and passionate. What I like most about James was he/his taste was unfairly criticized by a HSA Exec at a private tasting in Havana this year. The retort by James was furious, articualte and absolutely correct.

James is not everone's cup of tea. Neither am I. There are plenty out there who believe I am a loudmouth, opinionated, uncultured, drunk pirate who is a scourge in this industry. For all our faults, one of the things that James and I do have in common is that we are both passionate about what we do ( although we have divergent opinions) and we really coudn't give a rats arse about criticism from people who really don't know us.

There are plenty out there who believe I am a loudmouth, opinionated, uncultured, drunk pirate who is a scourge in this industry.

You say that like it's a bad thing. ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

I don't know James Suckling.There are two things that make me skeptical about him:

-His employer

-The "watch me buy real PSD 4s from a convenience store in LA" video that he did, which I thought incredibly irresponsible.

That said, perhaps I'll meet him some day and change my mind.

In the limited interactions I have had with him and witnessed with others, albeit mostly of an internet nature, I have found him to be egotistical. I think he believes his own hype and thinks quite highly of himself. In that regard, he feels quite free to dismiss those who do not possess his level of "expertise," haughtily and sometimes rudely, I have found.

Rob you are many things but you are honest, outspoken, and if both of your feet are not on the ground than your ass cheeks are. Don't sell yourself short.

Being "uncultured" is something to pride yourself on. Being "cultured" is a title one gives oneself, and we know how much self-given titles are worth.

It isn't what he does, but how he does it. David Savona does the same thing, but he seems like a really nice, genuine guy that you'd enjoy having a beer with. He's incredibly lucky to have the job he does and you can see he knows it. Suckling comes across as pretentious and whiny.

Suckling sucks, period.

I have to admit I come down on the side of disliking him due to his arrogance. One would think with all his expertise on all things Cuban, that he would go to the trouble of learning some Spanish. That's shameful in my opinion.

To be fair, James speaks Spanish quite well these days. Technically he is very good...accent could use some work but that is the same with most people learning another language.

Rob, I normally understand your position, yet this time Suckling has earned the mass dislike from the cigar community because of his attitude. He comes across with his "Holier than Thou" attitude that "He" and "Only" he knows what is good, or correct or whatever position he takes about Cuba is the Only opinion (which he states as a fact) and that Everyone else is wrong. As I said, he acts like an ******* and then requires everyone to bow down to him with reverence for his supreme knowledge of all things Cuban.

Rob, I normally understand your position, yet this time Suckling has earned the mass dislike from the cigar community because of his attitude. He comes across with his "Holier than Thou" attitude that "He" and "Only" he knows what is good, or correct or whatever position he takes about Cuba is the Only opinion (which he states as a fact) and that Everyone else is wrong. As I said, he acts like an ******* and then requires everyone to bow down to him with reverence for his supreme knowledge of all things Cuban.

I am pretty old school Chuck. I keep hearing the points you have brought up but I have not "experienced it" nor "seen it" first hand. On the contrary, I have only met and spent time with James in Havana. His interaction with local Cuban friends of mine has always been humble, courteous, engaging and full of enthusiasm. Our discussions have also been the same.

In the creed I hold I judge a person by first hand experiences/interaction over time. That doesn't mean I have to agree with what they say and I know james and I have differing viewpoints on several subjects but when discussed one on one it has always been an enlightning, lively discussion devoid of hubris.

We all have our own style of doing things. In many ways I am sure we are polar opposites......but wouldn't it be a boring world if we were all the same :unsure:

Maybe people are just jealous of him because he has a dream job or he really does not fit the profile of a so called cigar connoisseur.Lets face it we have some real cigar snobs on the Internet and about so they talk bad about him and its like a domino effect when most never meet him.

This is not intended for no one here just giving my view on why he is not very liked as I have been on many forums over the years and most have nothing good to say about him.And I think most have never meet him but have judged him already just by what they hear from others over the years.

Hell I know some people that did not like me and told me after I meet them from the way I say things on the computer. But I am now very good friends with some of them and talk to them by phone regularly after getting to know me in person.

Maybe we should not judge somebody until we meet them face to face sometimes its a hard thing to do in some cases but its the right thing to do.

Again this is not intended for know one here .....