What's your favourite vitola

Your favourite vitola  

173 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The Corona is king, 42 ring is perfect and I see many Dahlia and PC lovers agree. I feel the corona is the perfect balance of length and girth. To those that love the Dahlia, and I agree that is a great size I say smoke two coronas.

I clicked on "Lonsdale", even though it is not an official vitola de galeria.

I've always considered the Dalias (43 x 6 3/4) and Cervantes (42 x 6 1/2) to be mostly interchangeable and lumped them in my mind as Lonsdales. If you add the totals for Dalias and Londsales, this size is second only to the Corona Gorda in pouplarity among those casting votes.

And by the way, "Figurado" is not a vitola, but, as I understand it, is a generic term for all cigars that are not Parejos -- i.e. oddly shaped cigars such as belicosos, piramides, salamones, etc.

Looks like Corona Gorda is going to take this out. Followed by the Lonsdale/Dalia combination which could probably be lumped together as was mentioned. Robusto & PC are in third.

Corona Gorda - 5 5/8"; 46 - relatively thick, relatively long

-RyJ Ex.3

-Punch RS11

-ERDM Gran Coronas

-Punch PP

-Hoyo Epi 1

-Cohiba Siglo 4

-RG CE

-SLR Serie A

-JL1

Based on this, the preference of the people for longer, thicker cigars seems to justify HSA's decision to go for thicker cigars in their repetiore.

BTW, I thought figurado (like Cuaba) needed a mention somewhere in there. I assumed that most people who smoke a figurado shape, are smoking Cuabas, or NCs.

Based on this, the preference of the people for longer, thicker cigars seems to justify HSA's decision to go for thicker cigars in their repetiore.

No doubt that they'll produce what sells, but it seems they've been producing many 50+ ring cigars - quite a bit thicker than the 46 of a CG.

Personally, I've always liked the CG size and find it is nicely proportioned - unlike my feeling toward cigars like the petit edmundo or sublimes.

While I cast my vote for the Dahlia, as it is my favorite vitola/size at the moment, I do enjoy CGs as well. 46 or 48 rgs are fine and work well for me. 50 and 52 is getting up there, but I find it is worth it if the cigar is good in flavor and body. 60 is just plain ridiculous...I've seen a lot of DRs and NCs going that way.

Corona Gorda - 5 5/8"; 46 - relatively thick, relatively long...Based on this, the preference of the people for longer, thicker cigars seems to justify HSA's decision to go for thicker cigars in their repetiore.

While the girth of the CG vitola is nearing the outter limits of what I usually smoke, the nominal difference in thickness from a corona/cervantes to a corona gorda to a Robusto to a Duke is exactly the same, making the CG, in my eyes, several steps down from the goat-chokers Hsa has been pushing on us recently.

Had the Prominentes vitola scored better in the poll, it would be easier for me to take at face value what you suggest.

Then again, your average FOHer isn't your average cigar smoker. As sad as I find it, it sure seems that a combination of economics and general market preference for honkin' big smokes is driving things. The degree to which that preference is affected by marketing/status consciousness is unclear to me, but my guess is that it's considerable.

My vote goes for Laguito 1/2.

The Cohibas, Montecristos, Trinidad, and especially, for me,

the Partagas in these vitolas represent IMHO, the ultimate expressions of Habanos.

They combine both power and elegance.

That being said, I don't actually smoke them very often.

Being on a tight budget the last few years, most of my purchases have been in the value end,

such as the former machine-mades,

or vintage machine-mades in cello, which can still be found cheaply.

A typical weekday smoke might be a Partagas MF or PCE, perhaps R&J CenC,

just as I'll drink simpler, and cheaper wines.

But on a weekend evening, especially when good friends are around to share,

the good stuff will come out!

Good poll Kanga.

i was in agreement and then thought about this. the danger is that someone from habanos has a squizz and says, well these are the three or four that everyone wants and no one wants this, that or so-and-so. and so we get culling. the reality for me is that it is a fine line and much depends on mood, time available, cigars available, company and so on and so on. there are quite a nmber of vitolas that have received next to no support yet i'd be horrified to see them cut back.

I prefer the lonsdales. Figurado cigars have always kept their lure, although the availability and variety is rather limited. However, THE special box or cigar is very welcome irrespective of vitola.

Ive always been a fan of larger ring guage cigars, so robusto is prolly my fav. I do enjoy the belicoso tho, and and some smokes, I'll opt for a corona size. I rarely go up to a churchill though.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...