New Cigar Protection Society? or Frauds?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems to me that he's trying to set up a web page that will have lots of links to it from other sites (increases the search engine scores) and will eventually generate a ton of hits (how many people search for "Authentic Cuban Cigars" every day?) He's even asking readers to look at the lists and let him know if he missed anybody. People will bookmark it as a reference and come back to it often. Once there they will click through several pages. Every time they think of buying from an on line vendor they will come back to check their "score." The more activity he gets the higher his search engine score becomes. The more link backs from other pages he has, the higher hi search engine score will become. If all goes as planned he will quickly move to page 1 of several search engines.

The higher search engine score he gets the more hits he'll receive. Eventually he'll be getting tens, maybe hundreds of thousands of hits per week. You may even see a bunch of Google-ad links on his pages (you know, those little annoying pop-ups you get when you hover over a particular word.) People will click them and he'll get paid for each click-through. Eventually (probably only a few months into it) he'll be able to sell the site for a pretty hefty sum.

The idea is frigging' brilliant! I wish I had thought of it.

So in efffect it is not in their interest to remove sellers of fakes. I mean, our Costa Rican mates may provide high traffic.

Similarly, I won't be providing them any information. Am I able to remove my site? can anyone?....or is it simply not in their interest to do so.

It has nothing to do with assisting buyers. A dodgy letter from HSA, Moderate Pricing and voila.....Just Fakes is no # 1 :confused:

what does (10)0% mean?

we say 100% but really only mean 10%?? 10.0%?? 10 x 0%?? 10 ratings of 0%??

You can never deny another man his own hustle.....but this is pretty weak. He clearly has no buy in from anyone whatsoever, and is knocking this out from his kitchen table. If I wanted to search for trusted retailers, the only sites I would ever view as credible would be a list of approved retailers on either the Habanos SA site or a regional distributor like PCC or H&F, not some joker who calls himself M*.

Shelby has a point though - the beauty of the internet means you don't necessarily need a great idea, you just need an appropriate one that preferably works with Google.

*it could just be that he has a really tragic surname like 'Mingemuncher' or something, at which point I would offer my heartfelt apologies and pity. I once worked with a guy called Michael Hunt, no joke. Didn't like being called Mike for some reason.

I also like these retailers listed on the site:

Visible domain registrant: Estonia; Business address: Belize (sounds more like an illegal weapons trade route)

Visible domain registrant: Ukraine; Business address: Moldova (anyone read the book "Molvania"?)

To the site's credit, they got a low rating. But as you guys said, they still have the opportunity to increase that.

So in efffect it is not in their interest to remove sellers of fakes. I mean, our Costa Rican mates may provide high traffic.

Similarly, I won't be providing them any information. Am I able to remove my site? can anyone?....or is it simply not in their interest to do so.

It has nothing to do with assisting buyers. A dodgy letter from HSA, Moderate Pricing and voila.....Just Fakes is no # 1 :confused:

If you have some clout with H SA you might ask them to put up a prominent notice on their web site stating something to the effect that they do not support or endorse any independent sites that claim to identify authorized distributors of Habanos. In fact, I would think they'd be a bit pissed about some whack job potentially pointing people to sites that sell fakes and turning people away from legitimate sites who don't buy into it. I don't know of any way you could stop them from listing your site.

The first to sign up will be the fake purveyors. What a blessed opportunity for a stamp of approval. It is like having a gold medal on a bottle of wine .....except this gold Medal would be the Angolan Wine Show.

:confused::rotfl::rotfl:

Does Ken judge there?

I also like these retailers listed on the site:

Visible domain registrant: Estonia; Business address: Belize (sounds more like an illegal weapons trade route)

Visible domain registrant: Ukraine; Business address: Moldova (anyone read the book "Molvania"?)

To the site's credit, they got a low rating. But as you guys said, they still have the opportunity to increase that.

thanks kanga! tonights reading... the jetlag series is great

haha Molvania, a land untouched by modern dentistry! make good cigars though...

thanks kanga! tonights reading... the jetlag series is great

haha Molvania, a land untouched by modern dentistry! make good cigars though...

The new Molvanian Montekristo "Aspic Series". A flavour explosion of horseradish, with hints of Bulgarian pepper, mushroom-conserve, and baked beans. Washed down witha pint of garlic vodka.

Cigar Aficionado's "Cigar of the Year"

This sounds eerily similar to a group in CA that is involved in the Online Pharmacy business.

...and we all know how 'Authentic' they are!

They are trying to stay anonymous.....

Domain ID:D156226365-LROR

Domain Name:AUTHENTICCUBANCIGARS.ORG

Created On:25-May-2009 07:17:32 UTC

Last Updated On:11-Aug-2009 08:48:31 UTC

Expiration Date:25-May-2012 07:17:32 UTC

Sponsoring Registrar:eNom, Inc. (R39-LROR)

Registrant ID:8d21c768ea20770e

Registrant Name:WhoisGuard Protected

Registrant Organization:WhoisGuard

Registrant Street1:8939 S. Sepulveda Blvd. #110 - 732

Registrant Street2:

Registrant Street3:

Registrant City:Westchester

Registrant State/Province:CA

Registrant Postal Code:90045

Registrant Country:US

Registrant Phone:+1.6613102107

Registrant Phone Ext.:

Registrant FAX:+1.6613102107

Registrant FAX Ext.:

Registrant Email:[email protected]

Admin ID:8d21c768ea20770e

Admin Name:WhoisGuard Protected

Admin Organization:WhoisGuard

Admin Street1:8939 S. Sepulveda Blvd. #110 - 732

Admin Street2:

Admin Street3:

Admin City:Westchester

Admin State/Province:CA

Admin Postal Code:90045

Admin Country:US

Admin Phone:+1.6613102107

Admin Phone Ext.:

Admin FAX:+1.6613102107

Admin FAX Ext.:

Admin Email:[email protected]

Tech ID:8d21c768ea20770e

Tech Name:WhoisGuard Protected

Tech Organization:WhoisGuard

Tech Street1:8939 S. Sepulveda Blvd. #110 - 732

Tech Street2:

Tech Street3:

Tech City:Westchester

Tech State/Province:CA

Tech Postal Code:90045

Tech Country:US

Tech Phone:+1.6613102107

Tech Phone Ext.:

Tech FAX:+1.6613102107

Tech FAX Ext.:

Tech Email:[email protected]

Name Server:NS1.NAMECHEAPHOSTING.COM

Name Server:NS101.NAMECHEAPHOSTING.COM

Name Server:

Name Server:

Name Server:

Name Server:

Name Server:

Name Server:

Name Server:

Name Server:

Name Server:

Name Server:

Name Server:

The previous information has been obtained either directly from the registrant or a registrar of the domain name other than Network Solutions. Network Solutions, therefore, does not guarantee its accuracy or completeness.

Show underlying registry data for this record

IP Address: 208.116.62.218 (ARIN & RIPE IP search)

IP Location: US(UNITED STATES)-NEW YORK-NEW YORK

DMOZ no listings

Y! Directory: see listings

Data as of: 23-Apr-2008

Phishing expedition. . .

Kind of my thought as well - money maker / information harvesting.

The second to sign up will be those afraid of missing out. I look forward to seeing who hold strong and treat this with the contempt it deserves and those who cave like subservient dogs.

I find it hard to believe that any legit merchant would give this email a second thought - straight to the trash.

If anything, perhaps find a way to keep from being listed.

My worry is that this will just be another source list passed around everywhere, like vaadaa did at CA awhile ago. That caused trouble and bad news then and after that. Too much broad exposure is bad for North American clientele, myself included. I like the idea but it will only end up biting everyone on it, IMO, except the purveryors of fakes.

Seems interesting, but I'm not sure how much money can be made by one web site to redirect people?

There is an entire industry based on this concept. Billions are made.

I think its legit, but don't know how useful/accurate it will actually be. But as mentioned, with some cleverness they can get a lot of traffic.

Problem is that if it becomes popular enough, it can become a worthwhile target for law enforcement.

I'm late onto this topic... and I'm still shaking my head from it.

But, you have to respect the guy who's doing it... he seems very 'entrepreneurial'. If I was running a scam business I'd be calling him for advice.