A realization

I have come to the realization that out of the many cigars that I posses, that I only have 1 box of RyJ cigars and about a box full of singles! It is amazing to me that after smoking hundreds of samples I am so underwhelmed by the entire line. I can't find a box on the horizon that I wish to own either. With the newest member priced around $20 a stick and being the size of "super-supositoryio No. 00" I can find a no reason to start!

Are you guys RyJ fans? I have only a few from the '80's, a few churchills, coronas and some cazadores; that's it! With the RyJ coronas being one of the few left I wonder if I should give it a try again and see how the new vintage is smoking.

Thanks for reading. - The Pig

I like the Cazadores. Bought some short churchills because the wife likes them. But they have been smoked and as they don't appeal to me I am not inclined to get more.

I have a half box of Hermoso #2's LE that are good. Otherwise, I don't have any. In the past I have had good late 90's Churchills and some '04 Exhibition #4's that were really good.

That is about it.

I like the Cazadores. Bought some short churchills because the wife likes them. But they have been smoked and as they don't appeal to me I am not inclined to get more.

I have a half box of Hermoso #2's LE that are good. Otherwise, I don't have any. In the past I have had good late 90's Churchills and some '04 Exhibition #4's that were really good.

That is about it.

Damn... forgot about those! I too have the remainder of a box of those from when I considered the EL's as a buying option. Okay... so I have about 3 boxes of RyJ's. -LOL

Aside from the Churchill, Cazadores, and Short Churchill, I don't really get much from RyJ. I do like the occasional Ex4, but not enough to invest in a box. About the only other vitola in this marca that I find appealing is the Coronitas en Cedro. Overall, Not a lot of love for the line.

Wilkey

I think the Churchill's are great, and don't have many from my 05 box left :pig:

Otherwise, the short churchill is nice, but again I'd buy as singles as there are others in that size I prefer.

Good post by Pigfish though that has me thinking - Romeo y Julieta and Punch are two lines that despite being large, I barely ever buy, without really thinking about. Funny how you seem to naturally gravitate to certain brands over time. RyJ could do with losing the exhibition line IMO, and maybe having another look at their torp.

I think it is a very inconsistent brand, probably too many vitolas, to take advantage of the name. I have liked, not loved, a handful of Short Churchills. I will smoke one for variety, not necessarily as a go-to smoke.

Piggy, I was just having this same conversation with another BOTL and decided that while I enjoy the occasional cazadores nothing I have picked up other than some 90's churchills have wowed me.

Let me pose a question for those that have them, if I were to pick up a box of hermoso #2's from 04 would these be a good representation of the marca? Would they be worth the price of admission?

Funny. I'm actually smoking a 06 RnJ petit corona as I read this post that I'm actually quite enjoying. These have been a staple in my humidor for a few years. A lot of members will probably think I'm crazy for saying this. I think they are just as good and more consistent that the Monte 4. I also have a box of Short Churchills that are OK but would probably benefit from some aging.

My two cents.

G

Cedros are a staple in my dash and grab desktop, Although some can be tightly rolled, when they are on they are stella, for me anyway!!! You can always seem to find boxes with at least a few years on them which is a bonus.

They seem to be popular among novices, and people buying cigars as souvenirs. I saw confirmation of this when I was in Barcelona at the famous cigar shop there. 50% of the cigars which were purchased were RyJ. I was standing in the line, and witnessed not only singles being purchased but also copious amounts of boxes. The other cigars bought were Cohiba and NCs.

I refuse to believe that all these people were experienced smokers, as their choices were so typical for novices...

Personally I have never had an RyJ which I can honestly say I enjoyed. On the other hand, my humidor is stacked with quite a few Sancho Panzas which I adore. Go figure.