Montecristo Petit Edmundo

Had this last night and thought it was spectacular. Here are the highlights:

Construction - looked perfect. No veins, flecks or inconsistencies. Firm but a little spongy along the whole length.

Pre-light aroma - Sweet, earthy, could smell it at a distance of about half a metre.

Upon lighting - Immediately noticable sweet tobacco aroma

1st/2nd third - didn't really change much in terms of intensity throughout the first 2 thirds. The taste was typical Montecristo - can someone please help me express this in words? It's sweet, possibly cocoa or chocolate... The Edmundos and Especials have a similar flavour which I would describe as "typical Montecristo..."

3rd third - Increase in flavour, much more chocolate, spice. I always enjoy the last few centimetres of this cigar more than the first two thirds.

Smoke - Lots of smoke, fairly loose draw. Extremely delicious aroma. I can hardly breath today having inhaled about half of the bloody smoke through my nose trying to catch the aroma as much as I could

Burn - Shithouse. Tunneling, uneven, constant touch-ups. How do you keep one of these things properly burning??

Smoking time - 1.5 hours. Had to take it slow as it a strong cigar. Felt light headed after (which never happens usually).

What a stunning cigar! Monte is my favourite brand, and I think it cops a a fair bit of **** on the forum for its inconsistencies (not to mention the Open Line which probably deserves what it gets). Petit Edmundo was actually the first Cuban cigar I ever smoked, and is the reason why I'm still smoking Cubans to this day. It took me away from that terrible NC habit I'd developed, so it certainly deserves some credit.

So leave Monte alone! They rock.

In fact, why not do a round of Monte reviews here! Too much Bolivar all the time!

Nice review, do you happen to know what the box code was?

No box code. I got a single sent to me from CC last month. Wanted to see how they are smoking these days. So if Pres knows what box they were taken from, then he could answer your question...

Thanks for the review.

I have to admit I've never tried one - I just can't come to grips with the format.

Is there really such a thing as too much Bolivar? :clap:

Colt, you have to try one!!! I would say they're slightly better than their big brother Edmundo... What's wrong with the format?

Ok, I was probably going a bit over the top with "too much Bolivar"... Humble apologies

:rotfl:

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with Colt, in that I'm generally not too fond of short, large-ring cigars. However, I have really enjoyed my 06 PE's. I do have some 08s as well, that I've not yet sampled. Like others that have responded, I've also found that the draw tends to be open on these, so I tend to use a very small punch or cut the smallest possible opening in order to avoid ruining the draw.

Nice review mate. I actually had a Monte Edmundo Tubos the other day at the pub and enjoyed every second of it. I wasn't expecting much in all honestly but I was met with some spice and almondy flavours throughout the smoke. Mixed with a few cold extra drys it made for an enjoyable hour or so.

Long live Monte!

I like the Monte PE because I'm a big fan of shorter smokes and the PE is one of the few shorts with a thicker ring gauge. Most of the shorties to choose from have 40-42 ring gauges. You've also got the SD5, Hoyo Short Robusto, and RyJ Short Church. I think the Monte PE is the best of the bunch. I wish they made more shorties in thicker rings, not like turds, but say 46-52.

had one tonight. very good. was also the first cuban i tried. had a 3pack gifted to me at the start of the year. those had a nice peppery start and moved into a creamy and then mocha/cocoa type complexity.

tonights (from a second 3 pk purchase) was good and although i got some nice coffee cream type flavour profile 2 & 3rd never really hit that mocha/chocolate note which i hoped for after my previous experience. an extra layer of complexity which would have been nice. lovely plumes of thick smoke, and decent (slightly too loose) draw but it was also for me a massive pain keeping this thing burning straight! also had to chuck it with a fair length left. different, probably younger origin from the fist lot of 3 i had. ha watch this student NOT leave anything to rest for more then 3/4 months! i wish!

having said that it was still very enjoyable, and a bottle of redman coonawarra cab during with mates kept it fun!

Hi, my name is Arne. I didn't get to introduce myself yet, but I just had to reply here. I just love this cigar and this was the one which really got me hooked on cuban cigars about two years ago, so I'm probably a bloody beginner. While I had smoked a couple of cubans before that, it was the first time i got that milkcoffee and cream taste. I've had some with a disastrous burn, ones with a very loose draw and even some on the tight side, but the taste was always on.

Like in whisky, there is a cigar to get everyone hooked. THis was my Ardbeg 10. I've got a box from 07. And after just having smoked a non cuban (Danneman blabla reserva) I think I should light one up to redeem myself. So thanks for mentioning my first love (which burns and doesn't fade away).

Ok, this ones draw is a loose as can be...

Had one in Barcelona last week. It was as black as a Dominican Maduro. Never seen such a colour on a Cuban cigar before.

The aroma was exactly like the appearance of the cigar - thick, chocolately, pungeant. However, the cigar was not as full bodied as I'm used to from PE, and the flavour did not develop that much.

Still love em though. Was also my first Cuban ever.

• 4 weeks later...

really interested in this review. have notes for one i'm intending (good intentions) to post. also thye full (edmundo) monty, as it were.

also staggered by the responses. to pre-empt myself, it started superbly with classic monte characters but for most it was simply awful. the full (edmundo) monty was another kettle of fish - absolutely superb. will get the reviews up asap.

• 4 weeks later...

Monte Petite Edmundo GEA SEP 08

Pre draw had good cedar, spice and a hint of sweetness

Wrapper was Montecristo Brown/Tan, not oily or dry, no veins, foot was a little mangled and cigar was hard, tightly packed

Burn was slightly off but never caused a problem, draw had some nice resistance

Started off Mild-Med then progressed stronger

I will agree that this is the strongest Monte I have had so far

63 min smoke time

Initial puff was like Banana Peppers spicy

It had a subtle smoke with some flavors to keep your attention

This was the second one I bought and was a lot better overall than the first one I smoked, probably to letting it settle in Humi

Flavors were dry cedar, dry mocha, chocolate, strong tobacco taste with some light ground pepper…..Very Zesty overall

Aftertaste was like a light, Hershey’s Kiss flavor

9/10

I would buy a box just to see what happens down the road

Bart

• 3 weeks later...

Monte Petite Edmundo RTO MAY 07

Got a box of these after enjoying some singles I tested

Very similar review to my other review above, but this cigar was a little more rich and smooth, tad more complex

Flavors: Tannin, dry cocoa, salty.........rich tasting with some heat

Initial puff was like sweet Wasabi

Creamy Latte in 2/3

Smoke time was 47 mins

Cigar was hard, almost thought too hard until I lit it up and then it was great, some veins, stretched wrinkled wrapper

Overall pretty good and I am happy with my box purchase

9.15/10

Bart

About a year ago, I got a box of SEP07. The one I sampled was really strong and tannic, so I put 'em away.

I thought it had potential, though.

KG:

really interested in this review. have notes for one i'm intending (good intentions) to post. also thye full (edmundo) monty, as it were.

also staggered by the responses. to pre-empt myself, it started superbly with classic monte characters but for most it was simply awful. the full (edmundo) monty was another kettle of fish - absolutely superb. will get the reviews up asap.

Someone asked about original release - well i've got half a box of 10 left and i can happily agree with KG and shrink - a hint of montecristo flavour here and there but on the whole strongleather/tannic but not particularly enjoyable. Nice to look at but that's it. I have little hope that the rest will age gracefully!