Vote for Daily Smokes thread duration

Daily Smoke Thread - duration  

63 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hey folks, the first FOH Daily Smokes thread ran for about 10 days and generated 7 pages of responses. I did not count up the number of cigars smoked. Since we're at the start of a new month, it seemed like a good time to take a poll to see how long FOHers think the thread should generally run. Please cast your vote! Weekly threads would start on Monday I think so that we can share our cigars for the entire weekend. Half a month means something like a posting on the 1st and 15th of each month. Once a month would mean a new thread on the 1st of every month.

Wilkey

I voted a week. If a page a day gets posted that well make for some long-ass threads. Unless I am different it get most of what I want to see via the EM subscription process. I don't do a lot of page walking but I do like to see what others are smoking and how much they smoke. -P

Well having read Ginsengs comment on the number of pages and responses in a 10 day period, I have voted for a weekly duration so as to accumulate and digest the information as quickly and accurately as possible. ;)

Hey folks, the first FOH Daily Smokes thread ran for about 10 days and generated 7 pages of responses. I did not count up the number of cigars smoked. Since we're at the start of a new month, it seemed like a good time to take a poll to see how long FOHers think the thread should generally run. Please cast your vote! Weekly threads would start on Monday I think so that we can share our cigars for the entire weekend. Half a month means something like a posting on the 1st and 15th of each month. Once a month would mean a new thread on the 1st of every month.

Wilkey

first up, may i say i love that the voting options for the daily thread do not include daily.

when i floated the idea, i was thinking it should be a daily thread but the realities are such that i agree that would be unweildy. i think weekly the best idea.

Wilkey, on some boards the thread is not limited, and the posts run into the hundreds, if not thousands. On these boards, I always go to the last post on the thread, and read back from there to see other posts I want to review.

Why should there be any limit?

Good point, Bob. This gets to the question regarding the purpose of this thread. The only reason I see for making the duration shorter and shorter is to make it easier to mine for data by splitting smoker's posts into buckets. I believe Ken espoused this use back in the other discussion thread and there seemed to be some support for that. Another legitimate and common use for such a thread is simply to provide a place for forum members to sound out with no expectations or demands. Sort of like tacking up a flyer on a telephone pole, or providing a streetcorner soapbox. This latter purpose is the one I have seen this type of thread fulfill. And I have never seen anyone do anything or report any analyses of the data in these threads.

Personally, I am in favor of the "endless" form but since the question was raised, I posted the poll. Perhaps I should make another poll (yeah, I know) which includes the "endless" option. What do you guys think?

Wilkey

I do not like the endless option because it is tedious (to me) to go to the end every time.

I voted for the week option, but would suggest that it start every Friday so that the beginning posts are the ones from the weekend when people have more time. I know I usually reserve or set aside more "special" cigars for the weekends and look forward to them all week.

In the end I don't care all THAT much as I will likely read whatever is decided. Just my 2 cents.

I won't "mine" any daily thread for info. If I am looking for an opinion about a cigar I will likely look for reviews or start a thread and ask a question. I don't like long tedious threads, that is my bias. I don't think that huge threads are easy to use and that defeats the purpose of them.

There are other considerations and those include some technical ones. Is the server more prone to error while compiling a 1500 page thread with 30000 posts? If the data is lost via 1 huge thread, does it matter? As the thread grows, which may include links to pictures and so forth what is the likelihood that a thread will cause problems?

This is just a little food for thought beyond my disliking huge threads.

I am curios as to whether these threads affect the creation of more formal reviews. If that is the case the daily smoke thread is counter productive as I see it. Formal reviews, no matter how simple create a paper trail of useful information regarding specific cigars. When those reviews are placed in the right forum there is no need for any additional forum manager work on them. A daily smoke thread has no such value to me, although it is thought inspiring and enjoyable nonetheless. I will use both and enjoy both regardless the final outcome. -P

To be honest, I find the "what are you smoking" threads on various boards a bit tedious. I haven't bothered opening the one here for the last week or so.

I agree with PigFish that full, or even short reviews of specific cigars are more worthwhile -- particualarly if I know something about the reviewer's palate and preferences and how they compare to my own.

That's not to say that there isn't a place here for the threads if they are of interest to others.

To be honest, I find the "what are you smoking" threads on various boards a bit tedious. I haven't bothered opening the one here for the last week or so.

I agree with PigFish that full, or even short reviews of specific cigars are more worthwhile -- particualarly if I know something about the reviewer's palate and preferences and how they compare to my own.

That's not to say that there isn't a place here for the threads if they are of interest to others.

Agreed - All these "what are you smoking" and "what music are you listening to", etc etc reminds me of Twitter. Probably won't read it myself, but I know a lot of people seem to enjoy them.

I like the idea of an unlimited continuously rolling thread.

You can always go to the last page of any thread if that is where you want to go.

I like the idea of a living history.

Dean

I agree Dean :surprised:

......not that it means anything :frown:

• 1 month later...

My thought is that weekly would be better.

I'm looking at it from a 'Search' standpoint. If I put a certain cigar into the search box, all I get is the thread...a continuous thread could make it almost impossible (and frustrating) to locate what the search engine found within that long thread. A more manageable and shorter weekly thread seems better for that.

Also, in regard to searching, should we have a format and start off each post with the cigar being discussed....ex.

Partagas Lusitanias, TEB MAY 08

I smoked this cigar last night while enjoying a few glasses of HC7.......blah, blah, blah

Would this make it easier to find if it was searched for?