Juan Lopez Seleccion no.1 SMG MAR 08

I have looked at the cigars reviewed on the forum and nowhere was my JL SEL No.1 to be seen.

Is there something aganist this cigar that I'm not aware of ? Anyway, I must admitt that I'm a CG

fan and the JL is one that I haven't had in a while, maybe because they were not what I was expecting.

It has been like this for some years now.Well, recently,I got myself a box of 08 and I was wondering

If I had made the right move.

First the cigars were just beautiful in their cab of 25 with a wonderful Colorado wrapper.I let them sit

for about 5 days and then ,once I could not control myself anymore, I grabed one to smoke.

The cigars were well made and filled just right with no soft spots. cutting the cap, the Sel no. 1 had a

draw that was just fine for me. The smell of the cigar before lighting was very woody with humide

earth, It was very pleasent.

post-3705-1240693494.jpg

The first puffs brought out a light spicyness with toasted bread flavors and humide earthyness.

post-3705-1240694143.jpg

In the second third the cigar came down on a slower pace in flavors with hints of dryness and without

any evolution in the taste.

post-3705-1240694447.jpg

But, the last third was the big surprise when the cigar picked up with bold richness and body.

Great expresso coffee and spicey flavors, all in a fantastic complexity, mixed with nutmeg and soft café

creamyness.

post-3705-1240694838.jpg

I didn't have time to finish.

Overall this JL 08 surprised me with It's complexe aromas and flavors that have been missing since a long time. I was very pleased to see a true comeback on this wonderful CG.

I would rate this Seleccion no. 1 4 out of 5 just for the effort of coming back to life.

Fantastic review, I loved your background in the pics. It truly is a most agreeable cigar, with great construction and burn, while being forgiving of poor smoking methods. The taste for me was very vegetal, but not in a strong grassy way like a Cohiba, but more of a soft earthiness. The finish was also slightly spicy and sweet. I'm gonna get a box on payday.

I like the JL#2, but the youngest JL#1 I've smoked is an '03.

Can anyone compare the 2008 Juan Lopez No. 1 and No. 2?

I have tried 2 from my box of JL #2 and 2 JL #1 singles, all of which are '08s. The #2s are slightly more harsh at this point in time, and is less aromatic. It also tends to get hot very quickly, while the #1 is forgiving of frequent draws. However, it gives plenty of flavor from the get go, while the #1 needs time to develop. Flavor wise, I would define the #2 as Medium-Full, with the #1 Mild-Medium.

I will be tasting the JL Petit Coronas next.

Thank you for a great review. Loved the shot with the Havana Glass, were you having a mojito or just white rum and what do you think of having mojitos with a rich cigar? Do you find that it compliments it or makes the flavours a bit sour?

I like the JL#2, but the youngest JL#1 I've smoked is an '03.

Can anyone compare the 2008 Juan Lopez No. 1 and No. 2?

Great review of one of my favorites! Nice pics as well.

Shrink - As said above, my JL #2 from 08 are good, but a bit harsh and brash. Should turn around in a year or so.

The JL #1 from 08 seems more forgiving in terms of harshness. Very nice flavors, medium body - a real winner. Both are ok - good now and have great potential in a year or 3.

Great review. I just received my box of #'1's and can't wait to give one a try. 28 days to go. ;)

28 days? You mean 28 minutes ?

He means 28 days... until he gets out of rehab for Habanos addiction.

• 2 weeks later...