Partagas Series D No5 Limited Edition

asmith

Very surprised that these are so poor. Cant say I am a big fan of the size of these but I am a big Partagas EL fan in general. Most Parti ELs have benefitted greatly from ageing, so maybe these just need a couple of years to develop. The 01 PSD3 was near unsmokeable when young and I nearly traded away all my boxes in disgust, they are now some of the best tasting cigars I have.

Very surprised that these are so poor. Cant say I am a big fan of the size of these but I am a big Partagas EL fan in general. Most Parti ELs have benefitted greatly from ageing, so maybe these just need a couple of years to develop. The 01 PSD3 was near unsmokeable when young and I nearly traded away all my boxes in disgust, they are now some of the best tasting cigars I have.

LOL, I am glad no one likes these...I have a box, and they are the top 5 cigar of the year for me. More for me to buy I suppose.

LOL, I am glad no one likes these...I have a box, and they are the top 5 cigar of the year for me. More for me to buy I suppose.

You are not alone mate. I know of plenty of other guys who love this cigar. Al I can say is that we really do want to like it........but can't.

As for you Van.......sorry to let you down but we are no "by the numbers" type of guys :cigar:

Wow

Really surprised at the review. I am a big fan of Partagas and love the flavours I can only get from them. For it to get thrown in the Stinky must have been really bad. Here's hoping they are not all like that

As the review progressed, I was reminded of my first box of PSD4's from 2006. To describe my reaction as a disappointment would be a gross understatement. My first thought was, "This doesn't even taste like a Partagas..." There was absolutely NO pepper, and only very mild spice. It had flavor, but frankly it was more reminiscent of a Hoyo Epicure. I thought that it must have been a bad cigar. So, in a few days I smoked another. Same damned thing. I sold the rest of the box and ordered another box with a different boxdate.

Yep, you guessed it. After a month or two I broke into it, expecting that classic Partagas pepper and spice. Damned thing tasted just like the previous box. I chalked it up to the aged fillers that appeared in early 2006, and wondered if PSD4's would ever be strong and spicy again. Disgusted, I put 'em in the back of the humidor and forgot about 'em.

In early 2008, I came across the box while re-organizing my stock. What the hell, I thought, and lit one up. What a great surprise. No, there still was no peppery spice to speak of, but I was rewarded by one of the smoothest, creamiest vanilla and cinnamon profiles this side of an aged Cohiba Robusto. Delicious, but unlike any Partagas I've had before or since. I don't smoke from this box very often, but when I'm in the mood for something medium-bodied and super-creamy, it hits the spot.

I chalked it up to the aged fillers that appeared in early 2006, and wondered if PSD4's would ever be strong and spicy again.

Interesting, Shrink. I know there have been some concerns regarding longevity with the aged fillers. Your post makes me give thought to

what impact if any, they may have on overall flavor. I guess only time will tell.

This thread also gives me cause to ask: what are ELs supposed to be? (I'm not trying to open the are they worth it / value discussion)

Are they supposed to be representative of their marque, simply in a size not normally available in said marque?

Are they supposed to represent the pinnacle of expression for a given marque? Is it marketing - generic flavor profiles banded to give the

impression of belonging to a particular line?

I don't know.

As for you Van.......sorry to let you down but we are no "by the numbers" type of guys :P

Well, if you won't do it yourself, I will do it for you. According to the comments by you and Smithy, this is a two smoke ring cigar -- flawed, but not unfit for consumption.

As the review progressed, I was reminded of my first box of PSD4's from 2006. To describe my reaction as a disappointment would be a gross understatement. My first thought was, "This doesn't even taste like a Partagas..." There was absolutely NO pepper, and only very mild spice. It had flavor, but frankly it was more reminiscent of a Hoyo Epicure. I thought that it must have been a bad cigar. So, in a few days I smoked another. Same damned thing. I sold the rest of the box and ordered another box with a different boxdate.

Yep, you guessed it. After a month or two I broke into it, expecting that classic Partagas pepper and spice. Damned thing tasted just like the previous box. I chalked it up to the aged fillers that appeared in early 2006, and wondered if PSD4's would ever be strong and spicy again. Disgusted, I put 'em in the back of the humidor and forgot about 'em.

In early 2008, I came across the box while re-organizing my stock. What the hell, I thought, and lit one up. What a great surprise. No, there still was no peppery spice to speak of, but I was rewarded by one of the smoothest, creamiest vanilla and cinnamon profiles this side of an aged Cohiba Robusto. Delicious, but unlike any Partagas I've had before or since. I don't smoke from this box very often, but when I'm in the mood for something medium-bodied and super-creamy, it hits the spot.

The notorious PSD4 "dumb period" strikes again. Classic story that I and many others have experienced and told about with respect to these particular cigars.

In our defence Tom, I /we don't give a flying fig about the band of a cigar be it D5 or RR. Consistently the D5 has underperformed in our tastings. Taino loves them, you love them so that means that you are both seeing something we are not.

There is no discrimination on LE's from the panel. Cuaba Piramide was reviewed highly. Monte Sublime same. Take the Cuaba Piramide....we had doubts that we would like it. It changed our minds through performance.

We wanted the D5 to succeed. It didn't and that would be the 20th I have had from various boxes. Some are better than others but none have represented a complex Partagas cigar.

One thing I will always do is bag a cigar if I believe it deserves to be bagged. What I will never do is bag those who enjoy that cigar. I suggest you do the same.

If a cigars tastes like **** young age will not make it any better!!

A blender blends a cigar to smoke young and if it taste great most likely will have the legs for aging .

No one is going to buy a box of cigars that taste like **** or bland fresh because cigars over all are to be smoked young as most do.

If a majority of these cigars suck than well they will always suck.. j

I happened to thumb through a copy of Cigar Aficionado at the local bookstore yesterday and I was stunned to find that the PSD5 was the top rated "Miscellaneous" sized cigar with a 92. "A short dark plug of a cigar with an even draw that is full of rich cocoa bean and earth flavors and a hint of leather. The finish is long and full bodied." Box date was Jun 08. In fact, they had it tied with Partagas Short as the top rated Cuban cigar this month.

I happened to thumb through a copy of Cigar Aficionado at the local bookstore yesterday and I was stunned to find that the PSD5 was the top rated "Miscellaneous" sized cigar with a 92. "A short dark plug of a cigar with an even draw that is full of rich cocoa bean and earth flavors and a hint of leather. The finish is long and full bodied." Box date was Jun 08. In fact, they had it tied with Partagas Short as the top rated Cuban cigar this month.

Sounds about right to me...never did like the party shorts TBH.