Cohiba Gran Reserva

asmith

Cuba is not France. Picture Bordeaux in Angola.

Cuban cigars went backwards not in the past 10 years, 20 years or 40 years but from the moment the Industry was nationalized. You lost a passionate individual or group of individuals who walked the floors of the Galleria and the finca and knew what they were trying to produce and proud in doing so. It really cannot happen today. There is simply no incentive.

Since 2000 steps have been made toward linear and consistant trends in cigars. They are only halfway through the process and getting this far has not been easy. They can do exceptional things (Gran Reserva) but they are a long way from "consistency" in their lineup of staple and regular production "Super Premiums" (Maduro 5).

I have said it before that there is no way they can capture consistency until you have well paid rollers.

I'm glad you had an amazing experience. I think it reminded us all of our own moments of clarity, those rare moments when aroma align like planets, and we suddenly reach Nirvana that can only be interrupted by the Nag of a wife or the call of a child. But like most Marcas and Vitolas, consistency at that level is almost impossible, I can't imagine that you would be able to have the same experience twice out of the same box(25). In the past serveral years, when has an official production release ever matched the quality of a Festival Premiere showing like you had here? (ie Magnum 50, Maduro 5)

Cuba is not France. Picture Bordeaux in Angola.

So for now, would it be fair to look at the Gran Reserva as a stand alone cigar - a possible window into the future - and let's see where it leads?

Or am I way off track........

the best way to go hold of one of these is to ply the prez with vino on the deck (mine, not his) and then get him to make silly bets with one of these as the prize! (of course, if it goes wrong, buggered if i have any idea where i'll get one to pay him).

Would you believe I am having a similiar experience with an ABR 07 RASS? Just enjoying the hell out of this smoke.

What a pleasant surprise and proof that smoking Nirvana is available in many marcas.

However, this will not keep me away from the GR. To classify it as an epiphany smoke makes me want it that much more...and if I don't smoke one for years, then the anticipation will be just part of the fun.

Rob, how much do you think the pre-aging of the tobacco has to do with this? I feel pretty strongly that Habanos should consider aging tobacco for most if not all lines before shipping them. I understand that this tobacco was the best of '03, but how great would these have been fresh?

Rob, I am not sure if you remember my good friend Richard, but he was down at the festival and actually sat next to you at one of the dinners. I think you gave him a 2 pack (the same one you showed us in the video review), and we tried one 2 weeks ago. We both enjoyed it....it tasted like a regular Siglo VI for the first 1/3, and then it got progressively better!!. BTW, Richard told me that you were an ANIMAL down in Havana :D

No way........that would have been a different Rob. :)

..........and Rob, if you want to send me one of these, Lisa has my address ;)

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...