Cohiba Gran Reserva

asmith

I couldn't help being reminded of the Meg Tilly orgasm-in-a-restaurant scene in When Harry Met Sally.

"I'll smoke what they're smoking."

Meg Ryan. ;)

Although, Meg Tilly would have been pretty interesting too. :wub:

Wilkey

Rob, I am not sure if you remember my good friend Richard, but he was down at the festival and actually sat next to you at one of the dinners. I think you gave him a 2 pack (the same one you showed us in the video review), and we tried one 2 weeks ago. We both enjoyed it....it tasted like a regular Siglo VI for the first 1/3, and then it got progressively better!!. BTW, Richard told me that you were an ANIMAL down in Havana :wub:

Josie shoot via PM Richards e-mail as I would like to say hello ;)

* No final price nor final delivery timetable for these. They will be expensive. As they say, if you have to ask :wub:

* They took the best of tobacco leaf of 2003 from select finca's and put it aside for this project. While a Siglo VI in pedigree it is not really a Siglo VI.

I've mixed feelings about this..........

This is what HSA can do. Imagine all three year aged tobacco used for all cigars. Granted, there's only so much AAA tobacco to

go around. What are HSA / Cubatobacco? Are they as a first growth Bordeaux house, with Cohiba their first cigar, and the other

marques seconds and less? Or do all the marques come under the same umbrella, supposedly of the same quality with varying profiles?

I understand that top wines from a producer use the best grapes, and require varying aging techniques as compared to a house's lesser wines,

but in most cases, the differences are linear and consistent. I don't always get the same feeling with the Havana cigar. Perhaps

I'm reading more into than I should, or my expectations are simply unrealistically too high.

I've mixed feelings about this..........

This is what HSA can do. Imagine all three year aged tobacco used for all cigars. Granted, there's only so much AAA tobacco to

go around. What are HSA / Cubatobacco? Are they as a first growth Bordeaux house, with Cohiba their first cigar, and the other

marques seconds and less? Or do all the marques come under the same umbrella, supposedly of the same quality with varying profiles?

I understand that top wines from a producer use the best grapes, and require varying aging techniques as compared to a house's lesser wines,

but in most cases, the differences are linear and consistent. I don't always get the same feeling with the Havana cigar. Perhaps

I'm reading more into than I should, or my expectations are simply unrealistically too high.

Cuba is not France. Picture Bordeaux in Angola.

Cuban cigars went backwards not in the past 10 years, 20 years or 40 years but from the moment the Industry was nationalized. You lost a passionate individual or group of individuals who walked the floors of the Galleria and the finca and knew what they were trying to produce and proud in doing so. It really cannot happen today. There is simply no incentive.

Since 2000 steps have been made toward linear and consistant trends in cigars. They are only halfway through the process and getting this far has not been easy. They can do exceptional things (Gran Reserva) but they are a long way from "consistency" in their lineup of staple and regular production "Super Premiums" (Maduro 5).

I have said it before that there is no way they can capture consistency until you have well paid rollers.