Which Scotch? (30 yr old)

perfectform

I think a pairing of any of the 30 year olds out there would be too much for a Davidoff of that vintage. If I had to, I would smoke the cigar seperately from the drink and then follow up with a 30 year old Laphroaig.

I think a pairing of any of the 30 year olds out there would be too much for a Davidoff of that vintage. If I had to, I would smoke the cigar seperately from the drink and then follow up with a 30 year old Laphroaig.

i agree 100% :2thumbs:

IMHO i would never drink any alcohol with a fine habano such as a vintage davidoff. to me it would take away from the cigar.

i actually don't drink any sort of beer,wine or liquor when smoking any habanos, especially an expensive vintage.

you want to taste all the flavors the cigar has to offer, smells are important as well. it would mask some of these.

to be honest, if i had a 30 year old single malt, i wouldn't want to smoke a cigar either. it would take away from the scotch.

i know many BOTL's do smoke cigars with spirits together. they may agree with not doing it with a vintage cigar as well.

i suggest the same as above. smoke the cigar first and enjoy the scotch afterwards.

i agree 100% ;)

IMHO i would never drink any alcohol with a fine habano such as a vintage davidoff. to me it would take away from the cigar.

i actually don't drink any sort of beer,wine or liquor when smoking any habanos, especially an expensive vintage.

you want to taste all the flavors the cigar has to offer, smells are important as well. it would mask some of these.

to be honest, if i had a 30 year old single malt, i wouldn't want to smoke a cigar either. it would take away from the scotch.

i know many BOTL's do smoke cigars with spirits together. they may agree with not doing it with a vintage cigar as well.

i suggest the same as above. smoke the cigar first and enjoy the scotch afterwards.

That's a very good point...I think I'll do that...Cigar, then Scotch...I keep looking at the Macallan 30 yr, but for that cost I could score two sweet bottles, or even three...

I've been seeking my "grail" whisky for a while now. I'm worried when I find it I will be poor forever.

The Laphroaig Cardieas has been in my sites ever since it was released a couple of months ago. But at $1200 AUD per bottle I'm going to have admire it from a distance.

i have never been a great fan of whisky, the odd mccallan and a few other aged malts, but prefer most other good spirits, especially rum. about a year ago, at cal pep in barcelona and was at the bar (it is a fantastic tapas place, one of the best in spain, no bookings and always a queue - people stand behind you at the bar - that is all there is - unil you finish) chatting to a dutchman who had lived in barcelona for about 30 years and eaten at cal pep 2-3 times a week. they kept his fave whisky and he insisted i try some. could not find a polite way to say no as he was quite insistent. long name i'd not heard of, think it began with a g and then lots of vowels and impossible to pronounce. it was one of the finest whiskies i've ever tried, by a long way. i realise that this doesn't help but i have it written somewhere so will try and find it. a cracker.

i have never been a great fan of whisky, the odd mccallan and a few other aged malts, but prefer most other good spirits, especially rum. about a year ago, at cal pep in barcelona and was at the bar (it is a fantastic tapas place, one of the best in spain, no bookings and always a queue - people stand behind you at the bar - that is all there is - unil you finish) chatting to a dutchman who had lived in barcelona for about 30 years and eaten at cal pep 2-3 times a week. they kept his fave whisky and he insisted i try some. could not find a polite way to say no as he was quite insistent. long name i'd not heard of, think it began with a g and then lots of vowels and impossible to pronounce. it was one of the finest whiskies i've ever tried, by a long way. i realise that this doesn't help but i have it written somewhere so will try and find it. a cracker.

Glenfiddich?

Glenkinchie?

These are the good "G" ones I know :)

long name i'd not heard of, think it began with a g and then lots of vowels and impossible to pronounce. it was one of the finest whiskies i've ever tried, by a long way. i realise that this doesn't help but i have it written somewhere so will try and find it. a cracker.

Any of these ring a bell? (No, I'm not an SIS... Scotch Idiot Savant... it's a Wikipedia list :) )

Glenallachie, Banffshire/Speyside

Glenburgie, Morayshire/Speyside

Glendronach, Aberdeenshire/Speyside, since 14 May 2002 back in business after a seven year lull

Glendullan, Banffshire/Speyside

Glen Elgin, Morayshire/Speyside

Glen Grant, Rothes/Speyside

Glenfarclas, Ballindollach/Speyside, at the foot of Ben Rinnes

Glenfiddich, Dufftown/Speyside

Glen Garioch, Oldmeldrum/Highlands, pronounced Glen-gih-ri

Glengoyne Dumgoyne/Highlands, twelve miles (19 km) from Glasgow, right on the Highland Line

Glen Keith, Keith/Speyside

Glenkinchie, Pencaitland/Lowlands

The Glenlivet, Ballindalloch/Speyside, in the moorlands of Minmore

Glenlossie, Elgin/Speyside

Glenmorangie, Tain/Northern Highlands

Glen Moray, Elgin/Speyside

Glen Ord, Muir of Ord/Northern Highlands, formally Ord and Glenordie

Glenrothes, Rothes/Speyside

Glen Scotia, Campbeltown, Mull of Kintyre

Glen Spey, Speyside

Glentauchers Keith/Speyside

Glenturret north of Crieff/Highlands, on the coast of Turret

Rick

You might consider a Highland Park 30. The HP 18 is probably one of the best whiskeys out there. I have not had the 30, but have read good things about it. I used to like Macallan but now really enjoy HP.

Anyone who has had it that could help him with a more informed opinion?

You might consider a Highland Park 30. The HP 18 is probably one of the best whiskeys out there. I have not had the 30, but have read good things about it. I used to like Macallan but now really enjoy HP.

Anyone who has had it that could help him with a more informed opinion?

I actually just got the HP 30 yr, it's on it's way to me now...and I got a couple of other goodies along with it for what I would've paid for the Mac 30...

• 5 weeks later...

Well, unfortunately the purchase of the HP 30 didn't work out (issues with the vendor). Instead I decided to buy The Macallan 18 yr old vintage 1979. Again there are issues with this vendor as well...though they are shipping issues, not character issues. Hopefully it will find it's way to me eventually...