Por larranaga Robusto Video Review

El Presidente

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Myself and a friend smoked the PL Robusto today after watching the review and I have to agree. The first third was simply divine - best described as good old aussie christmas cake, but by the time you got to the 2nd third it became strong, very tobacco'y tasting. When that christmas cake flavor extends further into the cigar its going to be heavenly.

Rob, you really did deserve that Award. Not many men could deliver the line about a cigar being "melancholy" with a straight face.

For those who are interested in body language... take a look at Rob's leg movements from minute 8:20 on. Let me know your interpretation.

Nice job on this one! They video reviews are getting tighter and easier to watch and listen to. If you don't mind, here are a couple of suggestions that might help further:

- Add a detailed video close-up of the cigar at the beginning so the viewer can see the wrapper color, construction, etc. as you describe it

- Move the proceedings to an indoor setting. The traffic in the background is distracting and too often drowns out the audio

As for this particular cigar, I've had the same experience with the ones I've smoked from the box I have. Great rich flavor at the beginning that seems to lose itself in the second half, becoming more heavy, smoky, and, yes, dark. That's very much what this cigar has been like for me. I sure hope that over time the richness takes over. If the cigar could keep up that rich flavor profile from start to finish it'd be truly great.

This was a great video review. I agree these are getting better and I definitely look forward to them. The hard work in front of and behind the scenes is much appreciated. I'll also like to add a few suggestions:

1. Once again, lets get a close up of the cigar for a better idea of wrapper shade, oils, etc...

2. Moving forward I would like to see blind and vertical reviews of the same cigar from different years if possible to chart progression.

3. Fly me out to Brisbane for a guest appearance. I can cook too.

Keep up the good work and keep em coming.

This was a great video review. I agree these are getting better and I definitely look forward to them. The hard work in front of and behind the scenes is much appreciated. I'll also like to add a few suggestions:

1. Once again, lets get a close up of the cigar for a better idea of wrapper shade, oils, etc...

2. Moving forward I would like to see blind and vertical reviews of the same cigar from different years if possible to chart progression.

3. Fly me out to Brisbane for a guest appearance. I can cook too.

Keep up the good work and keep em coming.

If you are giving out tickets for the Czar Cigar Bar, I can take off from any Bay Area Airport. I prefer non-stop. First class is essential. I will be ready to review your smokes!

i think we are safe. if we call it a war, if it is anything like the two biggies, it'll take you blokes so long to get here, we'll have shuffled off from old age (though you do seem to be getting into the swing of things in recent years).

we'll assume the cigars are peace offerings - neotiations will be held on my balcony tomorrow arvo. we'd love you to make it but if you can't, okay to send the fireables on ahead.

Mmmm- perhaps late but serious nonetheless.

We [Americans] will blow the **** out of your balcony - with superior firepower and fireables. Then we will let you know how the negotiations will go. Do you not yet understand how we work? Democracy requires strict (god-based) precepts. Since god has chosen us, you will understand (eventually) why we are right. For now, just bend over. And as you said, we are equals. We are brothers! Love you man! Now, put your hands above your head. And don't move! We will blow the **** out of you, but remember, we are just here to help....

Mmmm- perhaps late but serious nonetheless.

We [Americans] will blow the **** out of your balcony - with superior firepower and fireables. Then we will let you know how the negotiations will go. Do you not yet understand how we work? Democracy requires strict (god-based) precepts. Since god has chosen us, you will understand (eventually) why we are right. For now, just bend over. And as you said, we are equals. We are brothers! Love you man! Now, put your hands above your head. And don't move! We will blow the **** out of you, but remember, we are just here to help....

it is almost word perfect for what i keep telling rob.

Oh Bunny drinks...

To me the beauty of the PL profile is the synthesis of the sweet spice/fruit elements with the darker, earthier backbone of the cigar, with the caramel bridging the two with proper age as I feel caramel is a combination of the two disparate elements, just as browned butter and sugar are disparate.

I do think darker is an apt description (darker like dark coffee, chocolate, mushrooms.)

And Ken---I am beginning to suspect that you do not enjoy earthiness as a characteristic. Is that true? You mention it frequently when disparaging a cigar.

I would not like a cigar to taste completely of Christmas cake. It needs a balancing base, to me. Well maybe not to Ken. Maybe Ken just wants cake.

• 1 month later...

Here is my review of this cigar!

I smoked this cigar, A PL Robusto Asia Pacific Release, on Super Bowl Sunday. This cigar was well made with the beautiful gold embossed band and the second "Exclusivo Asia Pacifico" regional release band. The cigar had a nice natural wrapper with small veins. The cap was well placed and there were no signs of any costruction issues present. The wrapper had a nice oily sheen.

Pre light hints of spice, light hay, leather and oak were present. After cutting with my Palio cutter, pre-light tastes of sweet spice, light espresso and an earthiness were present. Typically, Por Larranagas have a nice carmel flavor, which comes through in the flavor, but does not over power these cigars. The pre light draw was perfect with just the right amount of restriction.

After toasting this cigar with my Dupont Xtend lighter, this cigar lit very easily. A good amount of light grey smoke emitted from this cigar. The flavors of light dry hay, leather, white pepper, oak and the carmel sweetness were present. The draw was perfect and there were no burn or construction issues.

PLRob.jpg

The second third of this cigar continued with the sweetness and spice blend, which was very enjoyable. I paired this cigar with a Don Zacapa Rum, which blended well, allowing the flavors to be savored. The earthiness, leather and the hay flavors combined to make an enjoyable blend, which lasted from start to finsih.

The last third remained excellent. A creaminess remained throughtout the time I smoked this cigar. No draw or burn issues were present and the flavors remained. A slight amount of nicotine started to develop at the last inch, but I was still able to nub this one.

Overall, my cigar was good. I know this cigar will be better with some age, but I enjoyed this one now. The blend was a complex, medium flavored cigar that was well made. The finish was enjoyable. On a scale of 1 to 10, I would rate this one at 8.9. I know age will make this one incredible, so buy a few and let them sit for at least 3 to 5 years. Make sure to enjoy one now though.

Thanks and hope this review helps.

Oh Bunny drinks...

To me the beauty of the PL profile is the synthesis of the sweet spice/fruit elements with the darker, earthier backbone of the cigar, with the caramel bridging the two with proper age as I feel caramel is a combination of the two disparate elements, just as browned butter and sugar are disparate.

I do think darker is an apt description (darker like dark coffee, chocolate, mushrooms.)

And Ken---I am beginning to suspect that you do not enjoy earthiness as a characteristic. Is that true? You mention it frequently when disparaging a cigar.

I would not like a cigar to taste completely of Christmas cake. It needs a balancing base, to me. Well maybe not to Ken. Maybe Ken just wants cake.

a little earthiness can be fine. can ad some complexity, but as soon as it becomes a dominating feature, i find it a strong negative. i can always go out into the garden and grab a gobful of dirt if that is all i want. but just a touch is fine.