What's Everyone Do For A Living

100% offset. No coals in the smoker box. I use 100% hickory smoke.

I use old family recipes. Dry rubbed meats slow smoked. Never use the sauce as a glaze. The sauces are a bourbon and brown sugar sweet sauce, and I also offer a "fired up" sauce, with a creole flair.

Dave (A.K.A. Homebrew)

Thanks Dave.

I wish I was there.

One more question. I am a novice meat smoker. What do you burn when you need heat but you don't want to over expose the meat to Hickory smoke? I ran into a problem with a 12 hour brisket getting too smoky for some people eating it.

Cheers,

DC

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well, I used to be an alcoholic, now I'm so deep into it that it's only an hobby... then I found myself when I found the CC's and decided to get a life. Now I'm a decorator and boutique conceptor for a couple of well known watch brands (no, not Oris ;-) )

Thanks Dave.

I wish I was there.

One more question. I am a novice meat smoker. What do you burn when you need heat but you don't want to over expose the meat to Hickory smoke? I ran into a problem with a 12 hour brisket getting too smoky for some people eating it.

Cheers,

DC

I use 100% Hickory, adding about a stick of wood per hour to keep the heat up around 200 degrees F.

You can add charcoal, to increase the heat, but that is expensive. You would be better off wrapping your brisket in foil once it has smoked for several hours, and tossing more wood to the fire.

Wrapping the brisket : Lay a sheet of foil out, that is 50% longer than your brisket shiney side down. Lift brisket onto foil. Take another piece of foil, the same size, shiney side up, and wrap from the top down, tucking the top piece of foil under the brisket but over the bottom foil. Close the bottom foil by wrapping towards the top. Then take a third piece of foil shiny side up and wrap from the top again. Take a forth piece of foil, and lift the brisket onto it, and close from the bottom. This should allow you to build heat without adding smoke to the meat. Cook until internal temp, measured at the tip, the thickest part, reaches 175 degrees. Be careful of escaping juices, there could be quite a lot, when removing foil wrapped brisket from the smoker. They will burn the crap out of you. Hope this helps.

Dave (A.K.A. Homebrew)

P.S. If you cook the brisket too long, wrapped in foil, it will fall apart, and be impossible to slice without shreading.

Thanks for the explanation. Now I just need to find a time to smoke one.

BTW, saw the shot of you in another topic. I had to laugh. In another life, I hit lots of shows.

We probably should now turn this topic back over to people who want to tell us what they do for a living.

Cheers,

DC

I am a Senior Manager for Microsoft. Work for the CTO on incubation projects. Am a displaced Tassie living in WA state, USA

I'm an ex C.T.O. who finds himself messing with things IT part time and the rest seems to be spent at Czar. Craigos, any chance of doing another Windows ME?

a couple more offshore pics doing the rounds at the moment

post-38-1227781714.jpg

post-38-1227781761.jpg

Christ all mighty , that's the biggest fishing lure I've seen in a while. Do you cast that or just drag it behind the tinny?

• 1 year later...

Reviving thread since I was going to make one just like it.

I've been a tradesman in the field of Printing since early 2008, and began my Apprenticeship at the start of 2005. I was pretty lucky in that I was running my own machine with an offsider within nine months of my apprenticeship, where some just have to stand around for 3-4 years doing the odd shift now and then once they have enough experience. My old man worked at the same place so he taught me everything I know, and I worked three 12-hour shifts so thusly I have enjoyed four-day weekends for several years now. :lol3:

I love printing mostly for the long weekends, but the pay is quite good too. Unfortunately, many big companies have been shut down in Sydney, so if you're out of work it's very hard to find a fulltime position. Naturally many other companies are very nervous and cautious. I was made Redundant from my last job back in March, and until about a month ago I was lucky to pick up a single shift now and then. I'm still a Casual at the moment, but I've been doing three to four 12-hour shifts each week consistently, so I hope things stay that way.

Here are some pictures of the machines I run, although I just took the photos from Google.

large800x60000sm1024pa.jpg

^ I run a 5-colour version of this; note the amount of printing Units. Shows the front of the machine where the printed paper comes out, known as the Delivery.

01sm10212p1.jpg

^ The rear of the machine, known as the Feeder. This one is a 12-colour beast, not too pleasant to run.

heidelbergspeedmaster10.jpg

^ You pull out a printed sheet here to check colour/fit and make adjustments via the touchscreen computer you can see. Older Heidelberg presses don't have that and actually require some talent. Until recently I had only run this mostly-automatic type of machine about three times in the past.

*Am a retiree and work part-time in a telephone call center doing surveys. :lol3:;)

I'm a building/facilities manager at a telco company KEN absolutely adores! :lol3: I don't work for them however, they are a tenant. The last couple months however, I have also been training to join the MFB and hopefully change careers and become a fire fighter.