VP candidate Sarah Palin

I don't know how it will play out either. Similar doubts were cast on Spiro Agnew and Dan Quayle but Nixon and the first Bush both got elected anyway.

During the primary season the candidates try to appease the left of the Democratic party (those who tend to show up and vote during primary season) and the right wing conservatives within the Republican party (for the same reason). Then, during the General Election, both candidates usually move more towards the center to get the persuadable Independents that usually are more moderate and can swing the election. But McCain's selection of Palin seems to appease the right wing of his party and alienate the Independents, which is a group he was leading. If he falls behind now with Independents as a result of this choice, it's hard to see him winning.

What is interesting is that the election is actually 51 individual elections as candidates need 270 Electoral College votes to win. Palin hurts him in some states and helps in others. But in those which he might be helped, he was already favored. Several swing states may go to Obama now as a result of the two VP selections.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love to discuss politics over a cigar or any other medium, so I think it's great that people of great distinction can come together on a cigar forum to do so. And now for my .02 on the topic...

Based on my knowledge of the principle candidates, if I was hiring a CEO of a multi-national corporation, my order of choice would be as follows:

1. Biden

2. McCain

3. Palin

Because of his gross lack of experience and lack of success in producing results (read "change") in any of his former capacities, Obama would not get in the door for an interview.

If that same corporation was prone to waging war (something I abhor, but is a reality nonetheless), the order would shift to:

1. McCain

2. Biden

3. Palin

Once again, Obama's naive views of foreign policy and lack of experience would not get him in the door.

Now...if I was looking for a public relations position to put a fresh, dynamic and positive face on my ailing company while the rest of us worked behind the scenes doing the actual work:

1. Obama

2. Palin

3. McCain

4. Biden

Finally, in terms of with whom I'd rather sit down and enjoy a fine cigar:

1. Any of you

2. Jessica Simpson

3. Sarah Palin

Obama has quit smoking, Biden would probably put it down 1/3 of the way into it, and McCain would put it in his pocket to "save it for later."

Palin says 17-year-old daughter is pregnant By LIZ SIDOTI, Associated Press Writer

35 minutes ago

John McCain's running mate Sarah Palin said Monday that her 17-year-old unmarried daughter is five months pregnant, an announcement campaign aides said was aimed at rebutting Internet rumors that Palin's youngest son, born in April, was actually her daughter's.

A statement released by the campaign said that Bristol Palin will keep her baby and marry the child's father. Bristol Palin's baby is due in late December.

"Our beautiful daughter Bristol came to us with news that as parents we knew would make her grow up faster than we had ever planned. We're proud of Bristol's decision to have her baby and even prouder to become grandparents," Sarah and Todd Palin said in the brief statement.

The disclosure of the pregnancy came on the opening day of the Republican National Convention, scaled back because of Hurricane Gustav, and three days after McCain named Palin as his running mate. Other news was likely to overshadow the disclosure.

"Bristol and the young man she will marry are going to realize very quickly the difficulties of raising a child, which is why they will have the love and support of our entire family," they added. The father was identified in the statement as Levi, but the campaign said it was not disclosing his last name or age.

Sarah Palin's fifth child, a son named Trig, was born in April with Down syndrome. Internet bloggers have been suggesting that the child was actually born to Bristol Palin but that her mother, the 44-year-old Alaska governor, claimed to be the mother.

Palin spokesman Bill McAllister emphatically denied those rumors, and McCain adviser Mark Salter said the campaign announced the daughter's pregnancy to rebut them.

"Senator McCain's view is this is a private family matter. As parents, (the Palins) love their daughter unconditionally and are going to support their daughter," said McCain spokesman Steve Schmidt.

"Life happens," he said.

"An American family," added Salter.

The advisers said Palin told them about the pregnancy during lengthy discussions about her background. At several points during the discussions, McCain's team warned Palin that the scrutiny into her private life would be intense and that there was nothing she could do to prepare for it.

Prominent religious conservatives, many of whom have been lukewarm toward McCain's candidacy, predicted that Palin's daughter's pregnancy would not diminish conservative Christian enthusiasm over the vice presidential hopeful.

"I think it's a very private matter," said Roberta Combs, president of the Christian Coalition of America. "It's a matter that should stay in the family and they have to work through it together. My prayers go out to them."

Added Combs: "We're excited about the governor and think she's going to do well."

Mathew Staver, dean of Liberty University School of Law, said: "We're all sinners."

"We all make mistakes. Certainly, the ideal is not to get pregnant out of wedlock. But she made the right decision after her mistake," he said.

Staver also criticized anyone who would seek to make it a negative campaign issue: "It's absolutely shameful to put her child in the spotlight. She's not running for office. When someone can't face issues, they try to tear down a family."

A 72 year old who has battled cancer twice has picked a 44 year old Gov. of a state (only two years in office) with 600,000 residents to be VP and this is a great choice? Give me a freakin' break lol! The manager of the local Wal-Mart Supercenter has more "executive" experience than she does :lol2: I don't know what is going to more hilarious in the coming weeks: McCain trying to use the experience argument against Obama now or McCain saying he has the judgment to be President when his next in line is someone who I wouldn't trust running a lemonade stand.

The idea of simply putting a woman on the ticket b/c all women will now vote for McCain is about as dumb as "Mission Accomplished" was for Bush. About the only things I know of this woman's policies are that she is pro-life and a staunch conservative and Hillary Clinton is the exact opposite. Either Romney or Pawlenty would have been a smart choice, but then again this is the party of Bush....

With the news that her underage, unmarried daughter is pregnant, how will they speak of family values now? Why isn't the right wing questioning why she wasn't teaching abstinence or birth control? If Palin was a Democrat, Rush Limbaugh would be calling her someone who has failed as a mother and can't run her own family let alone the country.

It's the same right wing that their most vocal opponents on *** rights issues get caught in airport restrooms and hitting on male congrsssional pages.

Not that the left side of the aisle is perfect. But did McCain even vet this woman?

» When Sarah Palin finds out that the father of Bristol's baby is

» black, she's gonna change her position on abortion.

But if the father turns out to be Sarah's husband, the ticket might carry West Virginia.

McCain is going for the Jerry Springer vote.

pregnant ? What does this have to do with the White House?

Lets stick to the real issues please...******* goes on all the time at all ages you cant stop the fever once it gets going..LOL

» With the news that her underage, unmarried daughter is pregnant, how will

» they speak of family values now? Why isn't the right wing questioning why

» she wasn't teaching abstinence or birth control?

Obama's mother had him when she was 18.

Parents can teach abstinence till the cows come home, but we all know that the kid may or may not listen. We were all that age once and thought we were invincible. Her daughter getting pregnant has nothing to do with Palin's views. Everyone thinks for themselves and her daughter was only thinking about one thing before she got pregnant ;-)

» With the news that her underage, unmarried daughter is pregnant, how will

» they speak of family values now? Why isn't the right wing questioning why

» she wasn't teaching abstinence or birth control? If Palin was a Democrat,

» Rush Limbaugh would be calling her someone who has failed as a mother and

» can't run her own family let alone the country.

»

» It's the same right wing that their most vocal opponents on *** rights

» issues get caught in airport restrooms and hitting on male congrsssional

» pages.

»

» Not that the left side of the aisle is perfect. But did McCain even vet

» this woman?

From a Dem perspective....I would just shut up. If she is as braindead as is being proposed she will shoot herself.

However, attacking her for being the mother of a pregnant daughter? How many mothers out there would sympathize knowing how hard it is to control teenagers. How many know people in the same boat, how many are in the same boat or have been. How many would now feel (female voters) that the Dems are no different to the Republicans and just like to sink the boot?

From what I can see she is being attacked viciously and I wonder if that was the Republican plan all along? Let them beat up the sole female on the ticket and it will resonate enough with the white swinging female voter in the suburbs to get them across the line.

Dangerous game being played here by the Dems with a real chance of backfiring.

Just my 2 cents.

» » With the news that her underage, unmarried daughter is pregnant, how

» will

» » they speak of family values now? Why isn't the right wing questioning

» why

» » she wasn't teaching abstinence or birth control? If Palin was a

» Democrat,

» » Rush Limbaugh would be calling her someone who has failed as a mother

» and

» » can't run her own family let alone the country.

» »

» » It's the same right wing that their most vocal opponents on *** rights

» » issues get caught in airport restrooms and hitting on male

» congrsssional

» » pages.

» »

» » Not that the left side of the aisle is perfect. But did McCain even

» vet

» » this woman?

»

»

» From a Dem perspective....I would just shut up. If she is as braindead as

» is being proposed she will shoot herself.

»

» However, attacking her for being the mother of a pregnant daughter? How

» many mothers out there would sympathize knowing how hard it is to control

» teenagers. How many know people in the same boat, how many are in the same

» boat or have been. How many would now feel (female voters) that the Dems

» are no different to the Republicans and just like to sink the boot?

»

» From what I can see she is being attacked viciously and I wonder if that

» was the Republican plan all along? Let them beat up the sole female on the

» ticket and it will resonate enough with the white swinging female voter in

» the suburbs to get them across the line.

»

» Dangerous game being played here by the Dems with a real chance of

» backfiring.

»

» Just my 2 cents.

You make a very good and interesting point Rob. I think anytime you play politics with something personal and/or family matters, you are asking for trouble.

I don't think anyone on here is bashing her for having a pregnant daughter....that would be just stupid. I think the point that is trying to be made is the hypocrisy of the right in dealing with social issues. There is not a single, sane, lucid person who could claim that if Palin was a democrat that she would not be blasted by idiots like Limbaugh and Hanity.

She was touted for having great family values and high integrity and now those issues seem to be open to discussion based upon her advocating abstinence only sex education and being investigated for improper use of authority in Alaska in firing a public official.

Mike this is not a Pro or Anti Dem line on my part. The local FOH boys now well of my interest in politics and the fact that I deal and have voted for both sides of our version of Dems ad Reps.

I just see a massive misstep being made here by the Dems. If you make a good looking white female in her 40's doing her best the target, unless she turns out to be Lesbian coke head there is going to be a backlash.

1. Daughters pregnancy .....big deal. Happens in the best and worst of family's. Yesterday it was accused that her youngest child wasn't hers at all? How many votes did that one cost the Dems? How many female voters were appalled?

2. Has anyone heard of the Clinton Whitewater controversy? Makes the Alaska investigation look very pale by comparison.

3. Family Values? Again...Bill Clinton? Your kidding ?

Palin may be the dumbest brunette on the planet but let her fall on her sword. The Dems currently run the risk of making her Joan of Arc.

just caught the panel - mixed left and right - on one of our sunday news/politics tv shows (had taped it and just had it playing in the background). the question of palin was raised and brought almost universal support with some interesting comments (remember that this was sunday morning so the american saturday evening so very early). these from the members of the panel, not me.

- mccain has picked her not to help him run the country but to win an election, which i think is a good point (i well remember years of law school where one studied to pass exams, not to actually learn law - which probably explains why i now avoid law like the plague).

- he has picked someone that american voters would like to vote for and feel comfortable voting for - there'd be a lot of people out there that could comment on that better than i.

- the experience issue, if the dems play up her lack of experience too much, it will highlight the fact that obama has none. gov of alaska, after all it is a state, is well ahead of obama's experience. i suspect that whether true or not, the more the argument focuses on that, the more it puts obama's experience, good or bad, in the light.

but from my time in the states, my impression was very much that the VP was a side issue and no election has been won or lost by the VPs.

I totally agree with everything you have said Rob. I hope and don't think the dems will make an issue out of it and to be honest, they don't have to. This story will be run to death by the media and will be kept alive as long as there is interest in it. The issues it raises will have to be dealt with very delicately by both sides.

I absolutely HATE Jon Stewart when he's dissing my candidate, and absolutely love him when its the other guy. As a lifelong conservative Republican who has never voted Democrat, I am so pro-Obama I give my friends aneurisms, so they say.

And I can't understand why the Palin pick - unless McCain was turned down by Jindal and Sabellius, or they were too independent minded (my theory). I expect McCain has no thought of having a VP that will have any input, or with whom he will have a working relationship.

Black power baby, vote Barack!

What i like about McCain is he is so differant from Bush and he is so down to earth he reminds me alot like Regan he has the same values.

And his VP pick is over qualified for the VP job and was a smart move by McCain.

Obama does not have a chance from the start (his terrorist friend Bill Aries , his RACIST Pastor and his phoney south side wife):-D and by picking Biden as VP he lost alot of votes by not picking Hillary as VP (19 million votes!!! she had) man he is one dumb mother F'er it will bite him in the butt down the line.

Bad choice over and over again this man is a clown ..:-D

Oh one more Biden said Obama is not fit to run the country at all at this time early this year.Yet Obama picks him for VP and Biden accepts LOL another bad choice !!!!

Hillary Clinton was the only one who could have won it for the Dems.

8 great $$$ making years with Bill and they pick Obama !!!

Just to let you know i am a Dem but voting for McCain and proud of it!!!:-D