Need member input. Habanos Marketing Proposal

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess we can all fully understand that HSA want to use the Montecristo name, which has high brand awareness, to launch a newcomer product. After all, there are much higher chances of sales off a well-known brand as opposed to off a lesser known brand.

But consider this: how would the launching of a Montecristo Sport line affect the sales of the regular Montecristo line? Would people like you or me still buy No2s or Petit Edmundos? Or do we not want to be associated with the bunch of clueless people who will start smoking the new, mild, hyped cigars and stop buying the regular line? Chances are HSA will argue that "a few people on the internet" are not representative of their customers. Who are HSA's main customers? Intertabak, 5th ave, Altadis Spain and PCC? Guess where they sell their cigars! :-D

Also, in addition to being customers, we're "opinion leaders". If 50 on here say the Monte Sport are a bad idea, tomorrow it will be 500 on every cigar forum in the universe. And that's where people go to find out what people think about the new cigars.

Another, much more important point is the blend. It has, in the past, been generally assumed and recommended that newbies should smoke "mild" cigars. Go to any tobacconist and tell them you'd like to try a cigar but have never smoked one before and they'll recommend a Dominican, a Canary Islands, Honduran, or a Hoyo or some other "mild" blend. Chances are they would recommend a miuld Montecristo if one were brought into existence. People would try them. Once.

The approach of recommending "mild" cigars to newbies, while well-intentioned, is intrinsically flawed. You cannot expect a non smoker to appreciate the subtle aromas of a Hoyo, as this requires training and experience. A newbie must be kicked in the butt by a RASCC or a Partagas 898V. They must find out right away how much flavor Habanos can pack. This will raise their interest. Case in point: my brother in law, smokes half a pack of cigarettes a day and enjoys a pipe once in a while. When he came over a few months ago, I gave him a Hoyo or some other mild cigar I had but didnt want to smoke. He smoked it and said nothing. When he came back a few weeks later, I wanted to kick his butt and gave him a RASCC. He takes a puff and looks at me, surprised, and says "Wow, that's good". He asked several times what they're called and if I can get him some.

This is also the reason, IMO, that Habanos sales are not increasing like they should: the blends have become weaker. People dont want weak blends. I dont know anybody, have never talked to anybody and never seen anybody post who wants a mild cigar. IMO assuming people want weaker blends is incorrect. Who says "I would smoke cigars but they're too strong"? Nobody! Who says habanos have become weak, I wish they were like they used to be? Everybody! See the problem!?

Thank you for the comments to date.

Habanos s.a has a Spanish side (Altadis /Imperial) and a Cuban side (Tabacuba).

This proposal was pushed by the Spanish side not the Cuban side who were very negative to the concept.

As I understand the response from those who attended the annual marketing meeting was also negative.

I will have more information in a few weeks but I wouldn't be concerned just yet. Floating ideas is part of the conference which is not a bad thing. The thought processes behind how they came up with the concept is what troubles me most.

If the Habanos buying community is a bell curve the FOH members (and other boards) would be considered the top 5% of Habanos traditionalists. This concept is not targetted to us. The concept is targetted at those new to Habanos. In the back of my mind I wonder how much the post embargo environment is playing on the minds of HSA and whether this is a sign of things to come ie specifc brand extensions targetted at the US buyer. This is my opinion only and I have not heard it said.

Again, I will have more information in about three weeks. Don't lose sleep over it ;-)

now THAT is a horrible idea. and coming from me, one who likes mild cigars alot, the whole idea and packaging are just terrible. as claudius said, new comers to cuban cigars need LOTS of flavor.

how many times has anyone seen a newbie start with fonsecas and QDO's? all of this reminds me of the marketing **** you see from NC companies in a desperate attempt to get new customers.

bruce

The concept is akin to light(lite) beers ,wines,and liquors. It creates a yuppified culture that dilutes a brand. It may be successful in creating cash flow,but to what purpose here?

I like to experiment with different brands and blends;I do not need a "sport" motif.

From my point of view I reckon its a bad idea... as you said, it cheapens the brand.

From Habanos's standpoint it may be exactly what they are after - appealing to Joe Average who doesn't want the snootiness and cost associated with regular releases.

Kind of like a Crown Lager for the 'enthusiasts' and a VB for the main crowd.

MHO I hate it. I also wouldn't buy them. Rob why not suggest reintroducing some of the older cigars that have been discontinued and have not been available for years.

I myself I'm a sucker for the old school approach. I focus more on what I have missed, then what is new.

But pres, I AM new to cuban cigars and you would have to pay me to waste my time with a weaker monte. Am I the exception to the rule that cant get enough of the big, bold flavors of great party, or RA? I have to agree with Claudius here and say that even the newbies will appreciate big flavor. I think the problem is many newbies confuse flavor with body.

hey rob, if they want to create more "cash flow" how about they lower their insane ******* prices on RE's and the like? i would seek out more of those and limited releases as well as buy more regular production if the prices weren't so ******* high. don't you think the average person who never smokes cigars might be interested in trying one if they weren't so expensive?

hell, look at lew rothman's whole approach to selling cigars. he has a much lower profit margin, but he moves so many cigars that it MORE than makes up for it.

bruce

That's sad... They already have marcas with blends that fill that niche. So I take it habanos figures, "hey, we can sell more of these if we give them the Montecristo name." Habanos has cut some great cigars out of production over the years and now they want to introduce this? Do they honestly think they are going to make an extra buck by going this route? Here is a better idea... Deliver the 2008 tubos and other goodies they promised but are delinquent upon. This is sad and gimeky and I believe only hurts their long term reputation for a risky fast buck.

» I guess we can all fully understand that HSA want to use the Montecristo

» name, which has high brand awareness, to launch a newcomer product. After

» all, there are much higher chances of sales off a well-known brand as

» opposed to off a lesser known brand.

»

» But consider this: how would the launching of a Montecristo Sport line

» affect the sales of the regular Montecristo line? Would people like you

» or me still buy No2s or Petit Edmundos? Or do we not want to be

» associated with the bunch of clueless people who will start smoking the

» new, mild, hyped cigars and stop buying the regular line? Chances are HSA

» will argue that "a few people on the internet" are not representative of

» their customers. Who are HSA's main customers? Intertabak, 5th ave,

» Altadis Spain and PCC? Guess where they sell their cigars! :-D

» Also, in addition to being customers, we're "opinion leaders". If 50 on

» here say the Monte Sport are a bad idea, tomorrow it will be 500 on every

» cigar forum in the universe. And that's where people go to find out what

» people think about the new cigars.

»

» Another, much more important point is the blend. It has, in the past,

» been generally assumed and recommended that newbies should smoke "mild"

» cigars. Go to any tobacconist and tell them you'd like to try a cigar but

» have never smoked one before and they'll recommend a Dominican, a Canary

» Islands, Honduran, or a Hoyo or some other "mild" blend. Chances are they

» would recommend a miuld Montecristo if one were brought into existence.

» People would try them. Once.

» The approach of recommending "mild" cigars to newbies, while

» well-intentioned, is intrinsically flawed. You cannot expect a non smoker

» to appreciate the subtle aromas of a Hoyo, as this requires training and

» experience. A newbie must be kicked in the butt by a RASCC or a Partagas

» 898V. They must find out right away how much flavor Habanos can pack.

» This will raise their interest. Case in point: my brother in law, smokes

» half a pack of cigarettes a day and enjoys a pipe once in a while. When

» he came over a few months ago, I gave him a Hoyo or some other mild cigar

» I had but didnt want to smoke. He smoked it and said nothing. When he

» came back a few weeks later, I wanted to kick his butt and gave him a

» RASCC. He takes a puff and looks at me, surprised, and says "Wow, that's

» good". He asked several times what they're called and if I can get him

» some.

» This is also the reason, IMO, that Habanos sales are not increasing like

» they should: the blends have become weaker. People dont want weak blends.

» I dont know anybody, have never talked to anybody and never seen anybody

» post who wants a mild cigar. IMO assuming people want weaker blends is

» incorrect. Who says "I would smoke cigars but they're too strong"?

» Nobody! Who says habanos have become weak, I wish they were like they

» used to be? Everybody! See the problem!?

As a newbie with a limited palate, I believe Claudius is spot on. I am just starting to pick up on the wonderful but effervescent flavors of the lighter profiles, and this has taken considerable work on my part. To further help me along, I asked Rob months back for advice on tasting wheels and terms like in the wine and coffee world. I even found a scan of a rating sheet used by habanos at a tasting conference to kind of guide me.

What got me hooked in the beginning were the bold CC's that left you saying, "Damn!" I believe that habanos have a flavor profile distinct from NC's, and if they make a shift towards cigars that resemble NC's, they will attract the one time buyer at most. Honestly, people just coming into the cigar world are not going to pay a premium for a CC that mimics an NC at half the cost.

Prez, tell them to forget that BS marketing ****. What the true Cuban cigar smoker want's is a great smoking experience...high quality, great blending and consisitancy. You don't go and rebrand a 70y/o classic cigar brand to capture some unknown niche market.

I have to agree on this one....not that it sounds American....but the Sport name sound like sh*(&^%$t.

I don't like this idea, nor do I think they should do this.....keep it classic...old school.....they you should look back into the history for ideas....

I would love to see some old box press cigars by Monte...something classic....

:-( :-( :-( :-( :-(

I have to put this out there...........on the American knock off comments: Some of the best presentation for Cigars are made in the US. As per the Cigars that is a different story in itself. I have seen Cigars in the last year coming up to greater levels.....

These day's I have pick up some US cigars, which are smoking like dreams..........

At present Cuban cigars are top on my list, but I have seen some US cigars joining that list.......................;-)

I'm with everyone else on this subject. Personally, I think cigar smoking for the true aficionado is not about trends, but about proven substance. The Don Candidos and Don Alfredos posted a few days ago got a lot of kind words because not only are they great cigars, they also have the history to go with it. Habanos SA should let the CAO Visions and Nubs appeal to the fad-seekers, while sticking to traditional CCs themselves. The surge of ELs and REs is as far as they should venture, IMHO.

» Thank you for the comments to date.

»

» Habanos s.a has a Spanish side (Altadis /Imperial) and a Cuban side

» (Tabacuba).

»

» This proposal was pushed by the Spanish side not the Cuban side who were

» very negative to the concept.

»

» As I understand the response from those who attended the annual marketing

» meeting was also negative.

»

» I will have more information in a few weeks but I wouldn't be concerned

» just yet. Floating ideas is part of the conference which is not a bad

» thing. The thought processes behind how they came up with the concept is

» what troubles me most.

»

» If the Habanos buying community is a bell curve the FOH members (and other

» boards) would be considered the top 5% of Habanos traditionalists. This

» concept is not targetted to us. The concept is targetted at those new to

» Habanos. In the back of my mind I wonder how much the post embargo

» environment is playing on the minds of HSA and whether this is a sign of

» things to come ie specifc brand extensions targetted at the US buyer.

» This is my opinion only and I have not heard it said.

»

» Again, I will have more information in about three weeks. Don't lose sleep

» over it ;-)

This was my first reaction as well. It sounds as if they are taking their marketing advice from Jonathon Drew and his "success" with the Acid brands here in the States. While the Acids are sellers, they are largely snubbed by those who enjoy the traditional cigar. I would not buy them but if the embargo is lifted, I can see them being successful in the same light that Acids are.

Claudius has a good point about newbies and weak cigars but alot of guys(gays) my be scared of "strong" cigars and need the training wheels of the "mild" ones

We are the 5%? So let it be that way. Let HSA **** their best clients; the ones that buy regular, love tradition, spend the most, know the most, post the most so they can sell a few weak sticks to guys that are passers by.:-(

Its pretty simple. HSA wants to sell more,prices need to be lowered. with the whole worlds economy in the **** can, alot of smokers cant afford to keep smokeing.

Especially here in the states. For a few years I was buying ateast 3 boxes a week. Now I placed 1st order in over a year. Money is a priority, and there is not much around these days