Bolivar Gold Medal POS DIC 06

Once again, I appreciate your candor. Of several recent reviews of the new Gold Medals, yours expresses the most caution about the time it will take for these cigars to mature. Five years?

But I have some questions, and some thoughts...

Were these rolled with aged filler? If not, why not? And if so, why do they taste so 'young'? I am recalling my experience of a year ago with a sampler of the Jan - March Bolivars. With the sole exception of the Royal Coronas, I found them to be either bland, or showing a lot of youthful imbalance... not worth smoking, IMO. But here, over a year later, they're really starting to blossom. As you have also noted, the Coronas Extra are simply exploding with flavor.

So, I wonder if these BGM's might mature more rapidly than you estimate, if they have in fact been rolled with aged fillers.

In any event, I'll put 'em away for a long while, until the 'pioneers' trumpets sound Reveille.

Shrink.

Certainly I could be off on my timetable. Again I have smoked only two from the one box.

In regards to blend, yes I don't doubt they are using 2-3 year old filler. There is no astingent bitterness, just a sourness. I remembered another cigar recently which had this charachteristic. The Punch Super Robusto Edicion Limitada.

Now the PSREL was blended as a mid to long term ageing cigar and was completely different to the Ramon Allones Estupendos Edicion Limitada.

It was an intentional blend characteristic.

I suspect the same here. Some thought has gone into the BGM. I really do look forward to the opinion of others.

Come to Papa...

Rob, if these are DIC 06, why are they just now coming out? Did they wait until there was sufficient stockpile to give a share to all authorized dealers? Do all of yours have that box code? Surely some of the other box codes on this initial round must be well into 2007.

Hoping that you folks got the pick of the litter.

Excellent review Rob, and the honest opinions are what I value most! This doesn't bother me in the slightest in that these were always intended to go down for a while. It may alter slightly when I give it an initial try to set the baseline. I am somewhat surprised at the deviation from Wolter's original, but times are different, and of course there is a difference between a custom run and regular production.

I understand Rob smoking one or 2 to get an impression. That being said, I don't understand why anyone would be buying these for immediate consumption and enjoyment. Maybe last year's cigars have people in the frame of mind that young cigars smoke good now. I didn't smoke one 06 cigar except the Reyes that impressed. Admittedly I've only smoked maybe six different 06's.

I will still purchase 2-3 more boxes in hope that they develop accordingly.

Thanks for the review Rob.

Do you know off hand approximately what most of the codes are that you got in? I've seen a lot of May 07's, but yours are the first late 06 code I've seen with these guys.

Just smoke a differant one from a differant box Rob maybe it will be differant but your reviews are pretty close all the time.

As one of my friends smoked a pre release and said it was strong and said it was very good but did not say what you have reviewed.

Maybe he just got lucky with the stick he smoked.

Here are some of the reviews floating around the internet.

1) heavy and complex flavors of another time or era. Earthy and leathery flavors,powerful

2)You can immediately tell it will have a lot to say in a few years. It's still a bit sick and needs some time to mature. The slight ammonia flavors should disappear in a few years. One of the most amazing parts of this cigar right now, is its bouquet. The GM has some amazing aromas; they truly are stunning. The appearance is flawless. The ash is white. Not a strong ash at only one inch before breaking off. There is an immediate earthiness to this cigar but there are herbal, floral, and wood flavors too. There are complex flavors and aromas and they work so well together. It will leave you pondering your experience long afterward. For any cigar connoisseur, this should be an essential cigar in your humidor. This will become a classic Habano with age

3)Last night I finally smoked one and was mildly impressed with the strong, full earthiness of the cigar

Holy cow Batman, 2012?????? Hey Rob do you think I can wait that long? NFW man!;-) I will buy them anyway and hold off as long as I can, wish me luck.:-D

You could be right Jimmy, It might be the box I had but I have opened others and there is the same look, aroma, construction.

Everyone has different tastes. No doubt all of you will at least try one over the coming month so the assessmenst will roll in.

Just call it as I see it :-)

» Holy cow Batman, 2012?????? Hey Rob do you think I can wait that long? NFW

» man!;-) I will buy them anyway and hold off as long as I can, wish me

» luck.:-D

Mel..I give you 3 days:-D When you do smoke one, please review it. I will do the same after a little rest in the humidor.

I plan on resting them for 2 weeks or so , then burning them up in fire. Not a bad price.

It was a bit funny that when these were rumered of being reg production, alot of people who paid $500 for the 04 release were trying to dump their boxes before word got around.

» Wow, what a fantastic looking cigar! Any chance you are going to be selling

» these as singles when you have a decent stock of em?

No doubt we will but they are a LCDH release item so quantities are thin and it may be a while.

» It was a bit funny that when these were rumered of being reg production,

» alot of people who paid $500 for the 04 release were trying to dump their

» boxes before word got around.

Is this the same blend as the Wolters release?

» » Holy cow Batman, 2012?????? Hey Rob do you think I can wait that long?

» NFW

» » man!;-) I will buy them anyway and hold off as long as I can, wish me

» » luck.:-D

»

» Mel..I give you 3 days:-D When you do smoke one, please review it. I will

» do the same after a little rest in the humidor.

I will not wait till 2012 and will do as you said. The Boli GB is famed to be an ultrastrong cigar and may NEVER be ready for some lightweights like Rob.;-)

» » It was a bit funny that when these were rumered of being reg production,

» » alot of people who paid $500 for the 04 release were trying to dump

» their

» » boxes before word got around.

»

» Is this the same blend as the Wolters release?

On the same line of questioning could you tell us when the production of this line began for the LCDH release?

Not the test run but the final public production run.

Thanks for the review! One thing that caught my eye in your and Jimmy's posts is the

word ammonia. I understand you're not saying they reek, but I've always associated

ammonia with improperly processed tobacco. It's been my understanding that proper

fermentation should take care of this kind of off-gassing?