Czar Cognac night review and pics

El Presidente

» Quite a night there Prez, thanks for sharing with us .

Wow, looks like a great pairing of great drinks and great cigars. I'm sure the 98 Lusitania was outstanding.

The picture of Ken taking notes is classis.

» If Ken is attempting to grow a van dyck, he may want to take a look at

» the photo of Filip.......

Ken turned up late Tuesday afternoon withhis car full of cardboard boxes.....at least 50-60.

He has sold his apartment but has no-where to move into once settlement occurs next week. We were having a laugh whether the cardboard boxes were to be "Temporary" accomodation as he was certainly dressing the part as the homeless bagman :lol:

Amazing, simply amazing!

Rob, thanks for bringing the experience to us in such a great narrative style. Great read, great photos.

Does anyone else think Ken looks a bit like The Undertaker in his latter, retirement years? :lookaround:

Wilkey

» » Ken turned up late Tuesday afternoon with his car full of cardboard

» » boxes.....at least 50-60.

» »

» He either has a really big car, or was using really small boxes.

Ross...they were Flat packed.

He text me last night asking fro some more boxes of which we have plenty. I think he is building an ensuite :rotfl:

• 1 year later...

Our research and development division never stops :lol:

We put on a little shindig last night to welcome Patrick Peyrelongue, a direct descendant from James Delamain the founder of Delamain Cognac in 1759.

Delamaine Cognac is regarded as one of the finest Cognac houses in the world releasing only 40,000 bottles annualy. They are purists as there are no caramel additives for colour nor sugar syrup for additional sweetness. Ageing is their additive of choice and last night we were taken through released Cognacs of 20, 40, 50 and 60 years.

Left to right you will see 70% proof 12 month barrel age ....not for sale just to sample the aroma of fresh barreled Cognac/ XO Pale and Dry/ Vesper/ Extra de Grande Champagne/ Tres Venerable/ /Reserve de la Famille.

image2586.jpg

Delamaine Grande Champagne

image2584.jpg

For the night I partnered the Cognacs with 1998 Partagas Lusitanias which were equisite. I will let Ken post a full review over the weekend.

image2585.jpg

Ken and I with Patrick of Delamaine. Patrick flew in from France for a whistlestop tour of Australia and took great delight in meeting FOH members as well as thoroughly enjoying his Partagas Lusi which he thought was an astounding match for his Cognacs.

image2587.jpg

Ken in full wine reviewer mode.

image2588.jpg

Is there any wonder this man is single......nice combover ;-)

image2589.jpg

Some better quality members. PJ in the first photo and Filip and Des "Crusty the clown" Park in the second.

image2591.jpg

image2592.jpg

We all found it to be a fascinating evening. The bouqet of the 70 proof 12 month barrelled Cognac was simply amazing. Stick your nose in the glass and it was all alcohol and minerals. Place your nose 5 inches from the glass and it was all butterscotch.

Each Cognac was completely different. Almonds, peaches, grapefruit...a kaleidescope of flavours awaited those who took the time to warm each glass in their hands for 15-20 minutes. While you waited, we had a platter of canapes prepared by leading Australian Chef, David Pugh, who matched each canape to the Cognac being served. We do it well :lol:

I fell in love with the least expensive of the Delamaine offerings (XO Pale and Dry $110 AUD/$90 USD) the bouquet of which was akin to walking into a flower shop. Smooth, sultry, exquisite. Each offering with additional age became rounder, fuller until the final Cognac, Reserv de la Famille which is a non blended, single barrel, 60 year old Cognac and the finest Cognac I have tasted. At $520 AUD $440 USD it comes as no surprise.

Another great night was had by all :ok:

image2593.jpg

• 1 year later...

hey guys was wondering if anyone can give me info on a bottle of delamain cognac i just purchased it's a vintage 1973 bottle, a 33 year old cognac bottled in 2006 and is from a single barrel and not a blend, was wondering if anyone has tasted it??? im also curious about delamain cognac itself and how it shapes up against the bigger names hennessy and remy martin, particularly in the X.O ranges as ive tried both hennessy and remy and both were outstanding

thanks