Let\'s talk Rum...

fuente2000

Got a bottle of Matusalem today. The 15 yr. Solera. Have had it at a bar before, but never really spent any time with it. I find it a little hot. No where near the smooth, richness of anything like Zacapa. Still a good beverage though. An enjoyable sipper.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That's what's great about Cruzan , the price. The Cruzan Single Barrel Reserve just got rated the highest rating out of all aged rums, including havana club: The top 10 were: (out of 1000 point sys

In the UK, it is easy to find Havana Club and the 7 year is easy to find and inexpensive at under £20 - available at most supermarkets. Whereas Ron Zacapa 23 Solera is £53 at Tesco! Sounds like it is

Well I am an Appleton estates kinda guy, never really tried many off the map runs . Usually captn Morgans and Bacardi . I like appletons dark151 nice sipping rum. I actually just picked up two bottles of HC 7 year old and a bottle of white, both very nice.

Surprised non of the Aussies didn't mention any Bundaberg rum, all of my buddies that have gone down under love and rave about this rum.

Not sure how much the tax is, but that price was my final cost.

Sounds like it isn't far off the $44 in Virginia. Also, not sure if a couple extra bucks was thrown on there - he ordered in two bottles especially for me, had to do a special order/shipment for it, took him a while to be able to track some down with a supplier of his, I guess.

I really just wanted to double check that the 750mL bottle isn't normally like $21 or something like that.

It's not secret that Zacapa 23 is my favorite rum...Hell I'd pay $50 a bottle if I had to...no sweat.

It's not secret that Zacapa 23 is my favorite rum...Hell I'd pay $50 a bottle if I had to...no sweat.

LOL. No doubt.

I'm not much of a "sipper" of rums, or anything for that matter. I like my rum & Coke. Hey, I can (relatively) drink back shots of tequila and/or black sambuca (two of my favourites), like water. But even though I love rum more, I just NEED to have it with a splash of Coke, at least 50/50.

That said....man, this stuff?!!?! More than palateable to me just straight on the rocks. Do I still like it better with a splash of Coke? Sure. But I'm also enjoying it plain with ice - I'm really getting the burnt caramel and vanilla/orange essences to it. Wonderful, tasty, smooth and candy-like stuff.

Well worth the price I paid.

Sounds great Canuck. Keep enjoying it on the rocks or with Coke, either is good...but I have a feeling that if you try sipping it for awhile, you'll probably end up sipping it more often in time. This stuff just grows on you after awhile. I used to only shoot tequila, but now I find that I much prefer sipping a reposado or anejo.

Sounds great Canuck. Keep enjoying it on the rocks or with Coke, either is good...but I have a feeling that if you try sipping it for awhile, you'll probably end up sipping it more often in time. This stuff just grows on you after awhile. I used to only shoot tequila, but now I find that I much prefer sipping a reposado or anejo.

Agreed. Thanks Chen. I agree fully on the reposado and anejo sipping - I'm loving the new Patron tequilas too.

LOL. Probably almost as ghastly as actually liking the Captain Morgan Tattoo rum! :o:P

I'm quite partial to the occaisonal Captain Morgan and coke! Definitely persist with your sipping rums though - far better with cigars than single malts IMO.

• 2 months later...

If any of you see any of the 10 yr Plantation Jamaica rum, get it. It's amazing. Pierre Ferrand oversees the line, and it is aged in ex cognac barrels instead of ex bourbon. Cost between $30 - $40 in the states. I love the stuff.

Picked up a bottle of Ron Zacappa 23-Year tonight after reading through the thread. What a fantastic drink. I really enjoyed the sweetness of the rum, no need for ice in my opinion. As a scotch drinker, this is a very nice change of pace. I'll definitely be trying some of the other rums suggested here.

Picked up a bottle of Ron Zacappa 23-Year tonight after reading through the thread. What a fantastic drink. I really enjoyed the sweetness of the rum, no need for ice in my opinion. As a scotch drinker, this is a very nice change of pace. I'll definitely be trying some of the other rums suggested here.

now try the XO!

for a top value top rum, try the mt *** extra old. i reckon this is the best value rum going around at the moment.

I have a pretty decent stock of sipping rums; here they are, in my vague descending order of preference:

(all to be enjoyed much the same as a fine whisky i.e. mixed with nothing except perhaps a little water...)

- Ron Zacapa XO Grand Special Reserve

- El Dorado 21 Year old

- Ron Zacapa Centenario Sistema Solera 23

- Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva

- Gosling's Family Reserve

- Mount *** Extra Old

- Santa Teresa 1796

- Pampero Aniversario

- Flor de Cana 18 Year old Centenario Gold

- Ron Matusalem Grand Reserva Solera 15

I think this represents a good starting selection for decent rum!

Paul

As a newb Rummy how do you get past the "burn"? Iv'e tried Pyrat XO which to me tasted like orange syrup and the I went to the Zaccapa 23YO which was light yrs better IMO but I still got that burn, with ice and without. Is it an acquired taste? I did like some reg Knob Creek with 1 cube, after it melted I swear I could taste maple syrup. Anyway is there a way around the burn or is that based on alcohol content and is it just something one gets used too?

My favorite sipping rum by far is the Ron Millonario 15 from Peru. Fairly hard to find but well worth it. KL Wines can special order it. Easy to recognize as the bottle is fully encased in straw.

As a newb Rummy how do you get past the "burn"? Iv'e tried Pyrat XO which to me tasted like orange syrup and the I went to the Zaccapa 23YO which was light yrs better IMO but I still got that burn, with ice and without. Is it an acquired taste? I did like some reg Knob Creek with 1 cube, after it melted I swear I could taste maple syrup. Anyway is there a way around the burn or is that based on alcohol content and is it just something one gets used too?

like single malt.... add a bit of water (not ice in my opinion); start with a teaspoon or so, and then add more to taste til you find your preference.

I have a pretty decent stock of sipping rums; here they are, in my vague descending order of preference:

(all to be enjoyed much the same as a fine whisky i.e. mixed with nothing except perhaps a little water...)

- Ron Zacapa XO Grand Special Reserve

- El Dorado 21 Year old

- Ron Zacapa Centenario Sistema Solera 23

- Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva

- Gosling's Family Reserve

- Mount *** Extra Old

- Santa Teresa 1796

- Pampero Aniversario

- Flor de Cana 18 Year old Centenario Gold

- Ron Matusalem Grand Reserva Solera 15

I think this represents a good starting selection for decent rum!

Paul

Paul,

You have excellent taste in Rum. I'm a huge fan of the Zacapa's and Pampero!

for a top value top rum, try the mt *** extra old. i reckon this is the best value rum going around at the moment.

Did a search on mount *** extra old .. ooops Now know where Ken gets his fashionable clothing ideas from. Allthough I may have entered mount extra old *** in error... :(

Paul,

You have excellent taste in Rum. I'm a huge fan of the Zacapa's and Pampero!

Thank you!

I'm a huge whisky/whiskey, cognac, rum "aficionado"! though I wouldn't say expert.....

I have bottles of what I consider to be the very best examples (without going to ridiculous prices which, by the way, are generally for the RAREST/OLDEST and NOT necessarily the best)

I haven't yet tried the Vigia Gran Reserva 18 year old

but that would be the next on my rum list I think.

anyone need info on premium Bourbons and (mostly) Islay whiskies, feel free to tap me; as I said, I'm not an expert, but I have a certain perspective!

• 2 weeks later...

Finished my bottle of Zacapa XO awhile back and wanted to replace it with something else. Something that's been mentioned here. Went with the Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva. It's very sweet to my taste. Sweeter, I think, than the RZ. Loaded with vanilla and caramel aroma and flavor -- tasted pretty much the way it smelled. Smooth. Very little heat. I've had just one glass and I like it but right now would probably not buy another bottle. For me, both the RZ XO and the 23 edge out the Diplomatico by just a fraction.

Finished my bottle of Zacapa XO awhile back and wanted to replace it with something else. Something that's been mentioned here. Went with the Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva. It's very sweet to my taste. Sweeter, I think, than the RZ. Loaded with vanilla and caramel aroma and flavor -- tasted pretty much the way it smelled. Smooth. Very little heat. I've had just one glass and I like it but right now would probably not buy another bottle. For me, both the RZ XO and the 23 edge out the Diplomatico by just a fraction.

The Diplomoatico RE is indeed sweeter than Zacapa XO. Legendaio Elixir is the sweetest, with a honied flavor.

My parents went to Cuba last week and they bought me while there a bottle of Havana Club Anejo 7 Anos. The bottle look beautiful, rich color!

Unfortunately, my local SAQ (Société des alcools du Québec) doesn't carry Ron Zacapa.