Poll 1. Strength Level of Cuban Cigars.

On average, how would you describe the current strength levels of the following cigars.   

126 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Following on from a discussion in yesterdays FOH zoom, I am putting together a plot chart on perceived strength levels of a sample of 50 Cuban cigars. 

On average, how would you describe thie strength levels of the cigars in the poll. :cigar: 

5 minutes ago, chasy said:

I couldn’t vote bc I didn’t have an answer to Shorts and RASS. Maybe add n/a as an option?

Done :thumbsup:

I voted based on body as in intensity of flavour and mouth feel rather than strength (nicotine kick).

To be honest I've never really understood what is meant by strength because I'm not sure I've ever had a "nick kick" other than when I very first started smoking and felt sick once.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jerryvonkramer said:

I voted based on body as in intensity of flavour and mouth feel rather than strength (nicotine kick).

To be honest I've never really understood what is meant by strength because I'm not sure I've ever had a "nick kick" other than when I very first started smoking and felt sick once.

Get a box of Partagas Petit Corona Especial. Call me. 🙂

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JoeyBones777 said:

It's all relative. Those who smoke exclusively CC will likely place some of them as full. Coming from smoking mostly NC, I don't place any CC over medium-full. Most fall in the light-medium to medium range for me.

Personally, I set each (CC & NC) into their own strength categories. If speaking about a CC there is one scale and another for NC. 

There are some stupidly strong NC that would make 90% of CCs fall into the light medium category.

For example, I consider Shorts medium to medium full, but compared to most NC they are light medium.

• Like 2

I'd divide CCs by 20/50/20 are under medium, medium and over medium. 5% on each end would be what I'd call light or strong. I've only come across a few CCs in recent memory that I'd call strong. HU Propios were kickers. Party Aliados have some punch also. Maybe a RyJ Cazadores and RASCC can get there. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

I'd divide CCs by 20/50/20 are under medium, medium and over medium. 5% on each end would be what I'd call light or strong. I've only come across a few CCs in recent memory that I'd call strong. HU Propios were kickers. Party Aliados have some punch also. Maybe a RyJ Cazadores and RASCC can get there. 

Propios are pretty strong actually. Forgot about those.

Is there a generally agreed on full strength Habanos to use as a reference? 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BrightonCorgi said:

I don't know if any regular production CC consistently gets up there, at least to me. They almost all top out at around where the RASCC, BBF and Famosos kind of are. Famosos never really gets there but occasionally a RASCC will be pretty punchy. That's why "strongest CC" discussions are pretty difficult. 

• Like 2

Almost went green from a Propios on the LCDH sidewalk in Toronto. That was strong. As for the list, the M#4 is medium full, while I find the others listed as full (at least based on my feelings of full strength). 

6 hours ago, BrightonCorgi said:

Hence the question. 

In my 5 weeks away I was constantly blown away to the reference of cigars such as BBF and RASS as "strong."

Everyone is different. What I was asked is if there was a "matrix" as to how Cuban cigar lovers rate them. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, El Presidente said:

I was constantly blown away to the reference of cigars such as BBF and RASS as "strong."

I would put RASS at medium but ones I've had since 20 might be touching over medium. BBF is a true medium plus right there with Famosos and Mag 46. 

I had to think a bit on the D4. I went with medium although I've had plenty that are just under. I'd go solid medium for D5 and medium plus for D6. 

3 hours ago, Hammer Smokin' said:

M#4 is medium full

I would agree with that. Same for Monte 5. Recent 1, 2 & 3 I would have to put at medium. 

3 hours ago, Hammer Smokin' said:

almost went green from a Propios on the LCDH sidewalk in Toronto. 

Yes, they has some hair on their chest. And the strength maintained at the exact same rate through the whole cigar. But what was remarkable about them was that the flavors pushed through despite the strength. Masterful blending. Reminded me of old BCE and BCG. I wish I had more but the vitola was terrible and the price was just too high. 

Another one that was strong was the RA Perfectos Mexico. To me it was a strong RASCC blend. Outstanding cigar that I still have a couple of. Would love to have that blend in a Romeos vitola instead of a Tacos. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NSXCIGAR said:

Yes, they has some hair on their chest. And the strength maintained at the exact same rate through the whole cigar. But what was remarkable about them was that the flavors pushed through despite the strength. Masterful blending. Reminded me of old BCE and BCG. I wish I had more but the vitola was terrible and the price was just too high.

That's interesting, I've had maybe 5 of those when they came out and they were just like longer HUHC to me, same nice profile and a bit stronger than classic Upmann but I find the Party Shorts stronger 🤔

• Like 1

Comparing to NCs, I would say 90% of CCs fall into light/medium. I don't know how current PD4s are smoking now but pre covid PD4s were a bit above medium. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, El Presidente said:

Hence the question. 

In my 5 weeks away I was constantly blown away to the reference of cigars such as BBF and RASS as "strong."

Everyone is different. What I was asked is if there was a "matrix" as to how Cuban cigar lovers rate them. 

That is why we should level set the scale, like vocalists harmonizing before going on stage. 

Like asking someone "what is a lot of money?"  The answer can vary dramatically.

• Like 1

Strongest CC I’ve ever smoked was a young Montecristo Dante (the EL from 2016). Knocked me for six (was also terrible) and never had the same experience from a CC - either before or since. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, VeguerosMAN said:

Comparing to NCs, I would say 90% of CCs fall into light/medium. I don't know how current PD4s are smoking now but pre covid PD4s were a bit above medium. 

I'd put it at around 80% for lightest to medium. Still have a good number of medium-plus like BBF, Mag 46, Famosos, many Partagas, El Principe, RASCC, Monte 4 & 5, Rio Seco etc. so 90% might be a bit on the high side but I agree the vast majority of CCs are medium or below. 

15 hours ago, BrightonCorgi said:

The Upmann Noellas are on the strong side.

I've had some that creep into medium plus but I'd put them at a solid medium and pretty close to the Connie 1's strength. 

Recently some friends and I did a dedicated "compare and contrast" for two small-format CCs at the same time -- the RASCC and the Bolivar Petit Corona both from 2016 (and granted that many in the FoH forum are less than enamored by the last 10 years of BPC's).  The RASCC was roundly applauded as more nuanced and consistently delicious (though wonderfully changing) cigar -->  ...but I must say that the last third of the BPC had me finishing that one first. It was earthy and full (medium-full by NC standards) such that it demanded attention.  

For the first two thirds, I would classify both as mild to medium -- which is surprising for Bolivar (IMO) especially -- though the BPC stepped up to full-on medium-med-full by the last bit.  

I also agree that most CC's fit into the mild to medium or medium-medium plus categories, while many NC's seem to revel in the shock value of absurd (to my taste) strength. (To me, a sign of excessive strength in a CC -- which can happen -- is a sign of a need for that cigar to age to allow full development.)   

While I rarely want an "elegant" cigar (a word I often associate with "weak-tea style" cigars), I do enjoy the subtleties that truly well-aged CC's bring as compared to most of their young and older NC brethren -- excepting those of the highest orders such as certain Fuentes, Davidoffs, and, when truly well aged and crafted, Tatuajes. (Other than Nudies and the new FoH Bond Roberts line, I cannot think of a "fresh" NC that I could possibly enjoy anywhere close to the same amount as a wonderful CC.)  

Again, all just one person's opinions. What matters most is what you enjoy.  

Hope this is helpful. -c

• Like 1