Just noticed a box of Bolivar Churchills were listed on BR. Pretty sure it’s the first time they have shown up there. 

I’m a huge Bolivar fan and have smoked most of the line going back before all the discontinuations happened. I’d give anything for some more Lonsdales. But I have never had the pleasure of trying the Churchill. 

Those that have the luck to try one, how were they? How did they compare to the CG?

Bolivar Churchills were never very well respected and were extremely poor sellers. The BCG was always considered the superior cigar and much stronger. Similar to the RyJ Prince of Wales that was always considered milder and inferior to the standard Churchills. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I should probably caveat that a 90s Boli Churchill is still probably better than anything made today. I'm simply comparing it to its contemporaries. BCG was an absolutely tremendous cigar with few equals. Boli Churchills and Inmensas were probably the weakest cigars in what was a truly fantastic lineup. 

• Like 2

Last few Bolivar Chruchills I smoked were in tubo. What about Partagas & Punch Churchills (Monarch's) or Upmann Monarchs? Could be a separate thread on by gone Churchills that are quite missed.

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, BrightonCorgi said:

Last few Bolivar Chruchills I smoked were in tubo. What about Partagas & Punch Churchills (Monarch's) or Upmann Monarchs? Could be a separate thread on by gone Churchills that are quite missed.

Yes. Or I always loved that a particular marca would have two or three or more of the same vitola. And you could really zero in on the particular blend you preferred. Punch grand coronas being a great example. 

We need more churchills in the CC world. Such an iconic size and history. It baffles me that so many were discontinued. Were they shelf sitters? I see double coronas sell out.

Boli Churchills were only ever available in tubes. Punch Churchills and Monarcas were always about the same quality to me and were pretty good. My first CC was a 94 Punch Churchills. 

3 hours ago, Ford2112 said:

We need more churchills in the CC world. Such an iconic size and history. It baffles me that so many were discontinued. Were they shelf sitters? I see double coronas sell out.

Almost all were very poor sellers towards the end of their lives as were Lonsdales and Coronas and yes, double coronas as well. DCs sell now because they've whittled them down and production has been scaled way back. I recall SLR DC, SC El Morro and VR Don Alejandro not selling a lick in the late 2000s. Same with Churchills. LGC Tainos, BCG and QdO Imperiales people wouldn't touch with a 10-foot pole. 

The good news for Churchills is that they seem to be very open to them in special production. We've had quite a few recently--PL 47, QdO Imperiales, ERDM Tainos. 

• Thanks 1

Upmann Monarchs are the most cherished by me. Such a value and solid smoke. Straightforward and honest tobacco profile. If Habanos could be bring back one cigar just for me.

8 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

The good news for Churchills is that they seem to be very open to them in special production. We've had quite a few recently--PL 47, QdO Imperiales, ERDM Tainos.

QdO Clemenceau too, there's been lots of them on BR.