Men's watch - best value for a $1,500 USD budget

I'm looking to get myself a watch, nothing too expensive or crazy but something nice that I can wear daily and have forever. Open to pretty much all styles. No more than $1,500 USD but I've seen a lot of nice looking pieces in the $500-$700 range too. Just don't know what I'm looking at LOL or what I should be looking for.

Any of our esteemed members here have any suggestions on a quality timepiece I should look at? Or maybe some things I should be looking for in a watch?

I have always loved the look of Movado, but I'm not sure of their standing or quality in the world of watches. I want to make a good decision if I'm spending a decent amount of money.

Thank you all.

Would you consider a used watch? Do you want something sporty or dressy? Are you fine with a quartz or need it be automatic/mechanical? Are there certain functions you want or need (date, day, chronograph, 2nd time zone, rotating bezel, etc...)?

Ball makes a great watch for the money with plenty of stuff under $1500...

Ball Watches Under $1500 on Chrono24

• Like 4

1 hour ago, BrightonCorgi said:

Would you consider a used watch? Do you want something sporty or dressy? Are you fine with a quartz or need it be automatic/mechanical? Are there certain functions you want or need (date, day, chronograph, 2nd time zone, rotating bezel, etc...)?

Ball makes a great watch for the money with plenty of stuff under $1500...

Ball Watches Under $1500 on Chrono24

Thanks for that link!  I'm going to check them out.

Definitely looking for something dressy/business style. Perfectly fine with quartz, absolutely. Day and date is really all I would need as 'must haves'. From some of the reading I've done it sounds like Citizen is a quality maker too.

14 minutes ago, Silverstix said:

From some of the reading I've done it sounds like Citizen is a quality maker too.

I would not consider any Citizen watch something as an investment. Quality for the money perhaps, but I think you could do a lot better especially considering used. Look for very good to like new condition. I don't think box and papers are that important at your price point.

• Like 1

A bit over the USD1500 budget, Sinn 104 St Sa I B

104_St_Sa_I_B.jpg.ab94a437fe9fbbecc01f105fed749950.jpg

Seiko Prospex 1959 Alpinist Re-Interpretation SBDC147

Seiko-1959-Alpinist-SPB243-scaled.jpg.ef1cdd60c709c83abba21d83b39b0bcc.jpg

Seiko Presage Automatic Day/Date Power Reserve SARW021

sarw021-d_1024x_2a6151e8-c3e4-4fd6-80a3-3b4c8846a5fd.webp.27af2d06f87a6e330475120b057cb2ba.webp

• Like 4

A must imho is mechanical-automatic movement. I would buy second hand from Chrono24, depending on the budget and the deal, Baume & Mercier, Omega, or a vintage Doxa.

I like Movado, clean classy, but their quartz watches are nicer. Tissot are great entry level watches also.

• Like 1

I think there are some great options for 1500 dollars or less. I’m a sucker for automatic movements and the Tissot PRX powermatic 80 is 7-800 dollars and has 80 hours of power reserve(shocker). For something a little more expensive I like the Tudor prince date. I have an older model which was from 1995 but it still has an eta movement that simply needs a tuneup. The PRX has the added benefit of having other strap options from Tissot as well as other 3rd party non licensed ones.

• Like 1

My advice, given I once went on the same endeavor with a budget of $500, would be to go deep on vintage options. You’ll really figure out what you want and will get educated along the way. Once you figure out what you’re looking for, it becomes a really fun hunting exercise (similar to Mon - Thurs for those of us on 24:24…). Nothing wrong with buying something new, but you’ll find really cool options and better value with the vintage route.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, JermzCC said:

I think there are some great options for 1500 dollars or less. I’m a sucker for automatic movements and the Tissot PRX powermatic 80 is 7-800 dollars and has 80 hours of power reserve(shocker). For something a little more expensive I like the Tudor prince date. I have an older model which was from 1995 but it still has an eta movement that simply needs a tuneup. The PRX has the added benefit of having other strap options from Tissot as well as other 3rd party non licensed ones.

I have a Tudor Prince Oyster Date from the mid 90s. Was my grand uncle's watch.

IMG-20180220-WA0021.jpg.02b4bda282e59f32ee04a6c1d5082399.jpg

• Like 1

Now you've opened a Pandoras box for me personally. I see you mentioned daily driver.

I'll ask you 3 things:

1. Do you travel often? Would you like a GMT function?

2. Whats your wrist size? Do you prefer bulky or lighter watches?

3. Do you prefer Quartz, automatics or mechanicals? 

4. Is brand also really important to you or is it just a piece to tell the time?

At 1500 USD price point a Seiko and Citizen will go further than any Swiss watch brand IMO. For example, look at this beauty... the Citizen Tsuyosa - 399 USD - in fact I am gonna buy one myself! :P

image.png.ac6d8a048bf4c92e8c07ff40d51012b7.png

Or this Citizen Royal Oak - 899 - WOW ! these are stellar daily driver - more value for money in any watch for me personally .

image.png

• Like 2

I have a couple nice Breitlings I bought between 2000-2006 for about $1500+/-. They were bought at bargain basement prices in Boston. They are nice and probably have some collectible value. Not sure if pandemic ruined those pricing possibilities or how hard it is to still find bargains in the wrist-watch world.

IMHO there is a 1) lot of fun looking and 2) a lot of value in the pre owned/vintage market. 
Like cigars, it helps to really know your product and if you can buy the seller (or in watches factor in some repair expense and be happy when you don’t have it). I have an ever growing collection of watches. Mostly omega but also Ball, Bulova and now quite a few Seiko. With rare exception they are vintage and great for everyday use. My wife got me a 15 year old omega chron 8 years ago. I have worn it for nearly Every day and only recently brought it in for a service because I figured it was time. There are a lot of unloved watches out there with a ton of life left. 

I have a collection around movements used in space (and watches that appeal to me). Omega, Bulova and Seiko automatics. My father wore an omega constellation day date as his every day. I have that watch, and also found a similar one that my son now wears. I wore his watch all last week - it kept perfect time after years and years of use (and periodic maintenance). Watches are a deep hole. It can get expensive if you go Rolex/AP/Patek route. Can also be a ton of fun with other less expensive brands. Don’t watch the repair videos unless you want an even deeper hole. 😂

FWiW when I was a kid I bought a Lanco wind chronograph. The salesman apparently did me a solid and the watch has a Valjoux 7733 movement. I’m hunting down a Balance, complete on that movement to fix it myself - a great movement but with labor costs where they are labor will cost as much as the watch is worth to repair. I mention this to be sure you check in service history and that all functions of a used watch are functional. Also mention in that going too inexpensive on a vintage can leave you with a paperweight that most would only want for parts, even with a highly regarded and well produced movement that is straightforward to repair. A service can run 3-500 depending on complications before parts. 

There are a few really good watch forums out there, some w a marketplace. Easy enough to dip your toe into vintage if you want. 

• Like 4

I’ve been a Hamilton fan since way back. Not sure if you can get an automatic in that price range anymore but if not look for used. 

Second PRX. Instant classic

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk