:thinking:

I know there are plenty in the cigar world who detest the term NC (Non Cuban) almost as much as the term "New World" cigars. 

I am not sure if I coined it or I have inadvertently appropriated it, but I am getting very comfortable calling them FWC - Free World Cigars.

The FW part might be a touch rickety in some parts :rolleyes:.......but overall it manages to paint a nice visual...and sink the boot ....at the same time. :lol3:

• Like 2

Free World Cigars sounds way too USA or a prominent auditor for my liking.

You've had at least a couple of good ideas over the years but I'm not convinced by this one yet.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Free World Cigar sounds like a good marketing tool especially these days as the Cuban government constantly persecute their own citizens. 

• Like 1

Guess I'm not understanding what's the problem with "NC."

Yes, it uses CC as a reference point (just as @SirVantes pointed out about non-French champagne, but in the end all sparkling made outside of the Champagne region is not called Champagne, right?).  

In my experience, the only ones who use the terms "CC" and "NC" are those who have experience with Cuban cigars.  At the same time, acquaintances who have only ever had NCs have never heard of either term.  

Given who uses the terms, and what it signifies to them, I have no problem with CC and NC.  Why change it if it works? 

Just my 2 cents. 

• Like 1

I've always used NC and CC and I will keep doing so. Don't see the point of using "New World Cigars" and/or "Free World Cigars". Nothing new about the other countries and free world is debatable in some countries outside of Cuba currently producing cigars.

• Like 4

Personally, I don’t have an issue with new world / non Cuban. It aligns with wine and some of the downsides noted above, yes, but I also think it acknowledges the history - and in turn - the role that Cuba has played in the now widespread production of cigars around the world.

A huge number of new world / non-Cuban producers have Cuban heritage or lineage in some form. If they are the new world, then the old world is their parents, their grandparents and so on. I don’t read it as derogatory. 

• Like 3

21 hours ago, El Presidente said:

I know there are plenty in the cigar world who detest the term NC (Non Cuban)

While I'm sure you interact with a lot more people than I do I've never come across anyone who feels this way. 

15 hours ago, Chibearsv said:

I've never understood why non-Cubans are called "new world"

Same here. Never figured that one out. There aren't even any "old world" cigars. Tobacco came back with Columbus!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

Same here. Never figured that one out. There aren't even any "old world" cigars. Tobacco came back with Columbus!

I always assumed the term came from the idea of Cuban Cigar producing families leaving Cuba and seeking refuge in what to them was a "New World". 

1 hour ago, Shawn4212 said:

I always assumed the term came from the idea of Cuban Cigar producing families leaving Cuba and seeking refuge in what to them was a "New World". 

That would leave La Aurora out as they've been Dominican puros since 1912.

On 4/4/2024 at 1:49 PM, NSXCIGAR said:

That would leave La Aurora out as they've been Dominican puros since 1912.

You would be hard pressed to find a DR Puro in their line up. I think there is one. I also don't think the founder of LA Aurora is of Cuban decent. I could be wrong. But either way the point I'm making, is simply, I always thought that was how that term would be used or make sense to some. Personally I don't care if people say FWC, NC, New World etc. It's just a way for CC enthusiasts to differentiate CC vs cigars made elsewhere to me. Nothing more, nothing less. Certainly not something I need to dig into just so I have a reason to be upset over it. Lol

On 4/4/2024 at 11:51 AM, VeguerosMAN said:

How does "alt cigars" sound? An alternative to Cubans.

Why this sudden need to find a new naming for NCs?

9 hours ago, jazzboypro said:

Why this sudden need to find a new naming for NCs?

Just throwing it out there if there is going to be a name change. I personally don't mind NCs. I noticed most of European Cigar influencers use the term New World cigars to be more politically correct imo.

8 hours ago, VeguerosMAN said:

Just throwing it out there if there is going to be a name change. I personally don't mind NCs. I noticed most of European Cigar influencers use the term New World cigars to be more politically correct imo.

Is there suppose to be a name change? Is it required? Influencers...do we need them?