Behike - Our take on the King of Cuban Cigars

16 hours ago, Li Bai said:

Have you ever seen Behike 58s ?

The escaparate in El Laguito was full of Behike 58s in November last year. We smoked one in the tasting room. Very strong cigar. We were told they are for release in 2025. The Cohiba Atabey could be out before that.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Ryan said:

The escaparate in El Laguito was full of Behike 58s in November last year. We smoked one in the tasting room. Very strong cigar. We were told they are for release in 2025. The Cohiba Atabey could be out before that.

They are really strong when fresh, not so much with age. Which was absolutely shocking to me. Fresh it’s a monster of cigar, and I'm not talking about the size. I think they started rolling these in 2019, but I heard they scraped the program, on this site I believe. Thought it was said the blend was too strong. They were strong as hell fresh on the flavor and nicotine scale, but delicious. I have some 2019 and 2020 if I remember correctly. I have a few current ones on the way right now. Might be smoking one tomorrow, we shall see. 

On 2/11/2024 at 1:36 PM, NSXCIGAR said:

After having had quite a bit of recent BHK in the last 2 years I'd agree with the opinion of a friend of mine: BHK is designed to taste "expensive" and not necessarily to be a great cigar.

I know that sounds like a contradiction of sorts but the best analogy I can come up with is that it's like a very high-age bottle of liquor. Smooth, refined and subtle but no real character. Not a light cigar by any means but they honestly taste to me like they use mostly volado and maybe a half leaf of seco. All of incredibly high quality--the "expensive" taste. But there's just so much you can do in terms of richness and flavor with even the finest volado. 

I recall BHK from 5+ years ago and I found them to be much richer and flavorful. Much more Cohiba-like. So maybe the approach has changed. All I ever remember people saying from 2010-2017 is how truly great BHK were. 

I actually find the same thing with the Trini 50th I've had. Honestly I'd probably take a really good Topes over a Trini 50th, same as I'd probably take a great Siglo VI or Lanceros over a BHK. 

I agree with you on some of this regarding BHK56, but it depends on which years, and the differences between crops. The more I think of what your friend said, I can see why he might say that  

BHK 52 is the best of them all to my palate. So incredibly rich, strong and so flavorful. A true flavor bomb. I still think the BHK56 is a great cigar, and I agree, there is only so much they can do, but what they have done is create a perfect blend of richness and strength, and some real depth. Is it mind blowing? It definitely can be. Some aren’t, but still an excellent cigar.  Also I think someone that usually smokes smaller RG cigars and is used to more intense flavor from smaller RG, then that might impact how they react to a 56 RG cigar like BHK56 and feel a little let down. It be a little “boring” for them. Hope that makes sense. Lot of factors in play on a cigar like this because the cost is a big deal. 

I have some lighter tasting  blended ones, but the wrapper is a major player on this. BHK56 is a more refined cigar than BHK52, but I’ve had some that have blown my mind with flavor and strength and the balance between the two. I truly believe wrapper makes a huge difference with these. Some from 2021 I had come to mind. Truly some of the best cigars I’ve ever had. 

When the BHK line came out I bought every size and multiple boxes of each. Smoked about 10 boxes of BHK52 by 2011. I personally don’t think they changed the blend on BHK56 at all, just different tobacco from different harvests over the years. It’s possible they tweaked the BHK56 blend, it’s hard to say exactly from memory. I smoked a 2010 last summer and it was amazing, blend seemed the same, but hard to determine if they changed the blend due to age. I guess I could say the 2010 had a “heavier, thicker ” taste to it. But that could just be the aging. I’m positive nothing has been done to change the BHK52 though. I still remembering smoking those for the first time back in 2010, and when I light a 2023 they taste just the same. That strong blast of graham cracker, deep rich tobacco, the strength.

If I was someone that had never smoked any of the Behike line I would go for a well packed BHK52. If you can can inspect a box and buy a single, look for very well packed cigars. Then look for that rich, oily darker/reddish hue for the wrappers. At least that’s what I find to be the best, prefer them way more than lighter wrappers. 

They aren’t the end all of cigars. I would take a Cohiba Novedosos, or Ambar over BHK56 for whatever that’s worth. 

8 hours ago, Li Bai said:

That's what i assume too... Look at this one too

These are drool worthy.  I managed to grab some of Palma Reale banded stuff here and there.  Very cool.

• Like 2

On 2/10/2024 at 9:36 PM, NSXCIGAR said:

After having had quite a bit of recent BHK in the last 2 years I'd agree with the opinion of a friend of mine: BHK is designed to taste "expensive" and not necessarily to be a great cigar.

I know that sounds like a contradiction of sorts but the best analogy I can come up with is that it's like a very high-age bottle of liquor. Smooth, refined and subtle but no real character. Not a light cigar by any means but they honestly taste to me like they use mostly volado and maybe a half leaf of seco. All of incredibly high quality--the "expensive" taste. But there's just so much you can do in terms of richness and flavor with even the finest volado. 

I recall BHK from 5+ years ago and I found them to be much richer and flavorful. Much more Cohiba-like. So maybe the approach has changed. All I ever remember people saying from 2010-2017 is how truly great BHK were. 

I actually find the same thing with the Trini 50th I've had. Honestly I'd probably take a really good Topes over a Trini 50th, same as I'd probably take a great Siglo VI or Lanceros over a BHK. 

I 100%agree with you.  The Behike can be overpowering smooth and creamy but lacks complexity and development.  It smokes a little bit in the open side too.  But a pretty cigar to look at.  

12 minutes ago, HoyoDC said:

I 100%agree with you.  The Behike can be overpowering smooth and creamy but lacks complexity and development.  It smokes a little bit in the open side too.  But a pretty cigar to look at.  

That’s why I mentioned the sticks need to be well packed. Like with a pretty dang firm draw to start. That’s how these should be. Any looseness on the draw and I feel you can’t get the proper taste from it. 

You shouldn’t have to have a BHK inspected, they should all be good to go without inspection by your vendor, but that’s how it is. One of the reasons I sold most of my Sig VI Gran Reservas back in the day was this exact problem. None of these cigars should have a looser roll. 

1 hour ago, Sandman said:

That’s why I mentioned the sticks need to be well packed. Like with a pretty dang firm draw to start. That’s how these should be. Any looseness on the draw and I feel you can’t get the proper taste from it. 

You shouldn’t have to have a BHK inspected, they should all be good to go without inspection by your vendor, but that’s how it is. One of the reasons I sold most of my Sig VI Gran Reservas back in the day was this exact problem. None of these cigars should have a looser roll. 

So even the Siglo VI GR, which was Called the holly grail of cigars, had such issues!!!

4 hours ago, Sandman said:

They are really strong when fresh, not so much with age. Which was absolutely shocking to me. Fresh it’s a monster of cigar, and I'm not talking about the size. I think they started rolling these in 2019, but I heard they scraped the program, on this site I believe. Thought it was said the blend was too strong. They were strong as hell fresh on the flavor and nicotine scale, but delicious. I have some 2019 and 2020 if I remember correctly. I have a few current ones on the way right now. Might be smoking one tomorrow, we shall see. 

Yes, on all counts.  As shown above, they were rolling these in 2019.  At the time they said for a special humidor only.

And all cigars smoked right off the rolling table at EL have been strong and absolute outstanding from a flavor point of view.  Even cigars from the factory smoked just a few months later have lost much of that oomph.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HoyoDC said:

So even the Siglo VI GR, which was Called the holly grail of cigars, had such issues!!!

Yep they did. Was very upsetting to me. I bought 5 boxes, and smoked and inspected quite a few. The ratio of cigars with a looser roll was way too high, and so I sold much of what I had. 

Btw, I paid $1500 a box from a LCDH in Germany when they were first released. 

2 hours ago, SigmundChurchill said:

Yes, on all counts.  As shown above, they were rolling these in 2019.  At the time they said for a special humidor only.

And all cigars smoked right off the rolling table at EL have been strong and absolute outstanding from a flavor point of view.  Even cigars from the factory smoked just a few months later have lost much of that oomph.

That’s what I experienced also. Happened pretty quickly. I was able to get more sometime early 2020, and the same thing. Huge flavors, then settled and almost became a different cigar. They are still good, some very good, but knowing that information I will be wary to purchase in quantity again. I should have freshies tomorrow, so I’ll see how they are and report back. 

• Like 1

On 2/13/2024 at 6:36 AM, Namisgr11 said:

Having only been smoking cigars for the past 3 and a half years now, I don't believe my palate is sophisticated enough to fully appreciate the very best and refined cigars.  With that in mind, and given the price of the Behikes, I'm unwilling to buy one even for a landmark special occasion.  There are already so many wonderful cigars to choose from for celebrating a landmark at well under a hundred dollars each that it would just be needless extravagance for me.

Cool to see someone else from Delaware. I told myself the only place I would buy a box is from FOH so I patiently waited and was able to pull the trigger a few months back. Now I'm debating on having one per year on my b'day to see how they evolve over time or wait until my oldest son gets married and have them as celebration cigars. I wasn't in the game early enough to get them when they were affordable having only been into Cubans for the past two years. At this point if I'm in the position to splurge, I'd rather put the money into 50 cabs (fingers crossed for Hoyo DC's) than another box of Behikes.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Sandman said:

regarding BHK56, but it depends on which years, and the differences between crops. The more I think of what your friend said, I can see why he might say that  

BHK 52 is the best of them all to my palate.

Absolutely, as I said I don't have much experience with pre-22 BHK. The one 56 I had from 2019 was quite different from recent examples I've had. Much richer, more Cohiba-like. I've heard the closer one gets to 2010 the better they are with the OR being the best. 

Of recent production I'd also agree the 52 is the one I prefer. Quite a bit woodier, almost like a good Hoyo blend. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Lt4-396 said:

@Sandman how were they? 

They are excellent. The first one I smoked was a little wet, but after a few days settling down I smoked another and it was great. The third one was the best, absolutely loved it, couldn’t stop puffing in it. They have the blend better balanced, not as overpowering as the ones from 2019. Very elegant, and after the first inch there was an ever growing build of flavor and strength until the last inch. I smoked one today also, and also fantastic. Next one I’ll write a review and add it to this thread. I’m sure I’ll have one more soon, and then I’ll put them to bed for a while. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Sandman said:

They are excellent. The first one I smoked was a little wet, but after a few days settling down I smoked another and it was great. The third one was the best, absolutely loved it, couldn’t stop puffing in it. They have the blend better balanced, not as overpowering as the ones from 2019. Very elegant, and after the first inch there was an ever growing build of flavor and strength until the last inch. I smoked one today also, and also fantastic. Next one I’ll write a review and add it to this thread. I’m sure I’ll have one more soon, and then I’ll put them to bed for a while. 

Wow..this looks fascinating.

3 hours ago, Sandman said:

Bullet punch to slow it down?