Eagle Rare experts

Nevrknow

Same contents just some label changeroos I believe. For the age I don’t really care for it, kinda same space as Blantons that people go all Gaga for when it’s hard to find but it’s plain Jane bourbon. 

• Like 2

Yes, just label changes over time. The 10yr will still be listed, but on the back of the bottle. Even older labels used to say Single Barrel, but that had to be removed since BT doesn’t clear the bottling lines in between barrel bottling. They still bottle 1 barrel at a time. 

@DuxNutz, I agree if you are paying $50+ for the bottle. If at is actually sold for MSRP of under $35 that that’s quite a deal for 10yr bourbon, even if it is only 90 proof.

• Like 1

Like EL and RE cigars. Different label but still plain Jane cigars. 👍🏻

7 hours ago, Jackdani7401 said:

Yes, just label changes over time. The 10yr will still be listed, but on the back of the bottle. Even older labels used to say Single Barrel, but that had to be removed since BT doesn’t clear the bottling lines in between barrel bottling. They still bottle 1 barrel at a time. 

@DuxNutz, I agree if you are paying $50+ for the bottle. If at is actually sold for MSRP of under $35 that that’s quite a deal for 10yr bourbon, even if it is only 90 proof.

I got it for $45. Guess I overpaid. 🤷🏼‍♂️

The initial assumption a few years back was that they went from single barrel 101 to batched 90 proof and then moving the age statement to the back meant that they were low on stock and were going to drop the 10 year claim altogether, but sneakily since it was already off of the front label. Fortunately they never did get rid of the 10 year, but unfortunately we didn't get the 101 and/or single barrel back.

At least it's still a good pour.

Cheers

• Like 1

For awhile there, many bourbons were dropping the age statement because their demand was so high that they couldn’t keep up. Jim Beam bourbons were having to blend different ages to taste, trying to get Knob Creek and Booker’s to taste the same without aging as long. Same thing with Elijah Craig, and I think they have really suffered the most, taste-wise. I think now that Buffalo Trace bourbons are *starting to* keep up, maybe they put that age statement back in place. I used to buy Eagle Rare for $28. Amazing to see how high it is priced now, when I do see it.

I was at a local shop recently when a Buffalo Trace rep was there, and he said that they are playing catch up. About four years ago, they started producing more Buffalo Trace, Weller, and Eagle Rare. Said that in three or four years, we should see more stock readily available, and the prices will also normalize. I certainly hope so. It’s been my favorite distillery for a long dang time.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Eagle Rare has a long-ish history since its beginnings in the late 70’s of changing distilleries, ages, and proofs.  For my money, the Lawrenceburg produced 101pf ones were the cream of the crop.

The modern iteration is certainly good mid-shelf bourbon, but not worth the price of admission over $40.