Deep Dive: Montecristo Number 3

El Presidente

Montecristo Number 3   

105 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Montecristo Number 3 

The Monte 3 is a wallflower. 

People will fall all over themselves to praise a Trinidad Coloniales but as for a Monte 3? In the main they are just not interested. 

It is such a shame as a good Monte 3 takes the best of the Monte 1 and Monte 4 and goes to a new level. A great Monte 3 will go head to head with a great Trinidad Coloniales.  

Montecristo Number 3 

• Do you like Montecristo Number 3 
  • Where does it stand compared to other similar cigars. 
  • Have you noticed a blend/flavour/body change over the years? If so, approximately when?
  • How long does it take you to smoke a Montecristo Number 3 
  • Do the poll!

Montecristo Number 3  :cigar:

CLICK HERE FOR OTHER DEEP DIVES 

Montecristo Number 3 PSP SEP 18.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JohnS said:

In comparison to the Montecristo No.1 and No.4, which have similar blends,

I'm not so sure about this anymore. Since at least 2014 I've found Monte 1s are quite a bit different while the 3 & 4 have remained pretty close to each other. The 1 seems to be "drier" and woodier than the 3 & 4 with a lot more construction and burn issues. I've really moved away from them particularly since the DE is only a few bucks more.

1 hour ago, riderpride said:

Would love a VR in this vitola.

I would too but the Familiar ain't coming back. I'd pay good money for a VR Dalias though.

• Like 1

Corona is a perfect vitola when you don't want to go big.  Big fan of Monte No. 3 and was one of the few boxes I made sure to buy before we get to where are with stock & prices of today.

• Like 4

On 10/6/2022 at 11:33 AM, JohnS said:

There's no doubt that they're more consistent than other Montecristo cigars. The question is...why are these overlooked by the majority of casual and seasoned, experienced cigar enthusiasts? Whether one agrees or not, the reasons would probably include these below...

• In comparison to a Montecristo No.4, it doesn't seem too much of a difference in size but it is more expensive factoring in the size difference. (In other words, the Montecristo No.3 is proportionately more expensive for its size in comparison to the Montecristo No.4.)
  • There's not much difference in smoking time in relative terms to the time it takes to smoke a Montecristo No.4
  • In comparison to the Montecristo No.1 and No.4, which have similar blends, the size of the Montecristo No.3 doesn't effect its strength and body and much as the other two.
  • Amongst the classic Montecristo line cigars, the Montecristo No.2 and No.5 offer a different smoking experience.
  • Consumers don't feel they need to invest in the Montecristo No.3 when there are so many other Montecristo options.

Personally speaking, I would loathe for the Montecristo No.3 to be discontinued or go into hiatus. Frankly, we need more classic Corona-sized cigars.

I think this is spot on. Actually, the Monte 3 is pretty much in line with the Cervantes price wise (considering length and official weight), but it’s the No. 4 that has always been the ‘bargain’ among its peers. So, better (read: cheaper) is the enemy of good?! We all know which consequences come with the volume production of the No. 4 (in fact not so true anymore from my experience). So, absolutely speaking, for price, blend and construction consistency, from a plain rational standpoint, the No. 3 is probably the “best” of the parejos. Still, I also find myself reaching more for the 4 and 5. As to why this is so I have no clearcut answer. Most likely it’s the added commitment in time and money. The No. 4 and 5 are (great) everyday-cigars, and while I wouldn’t say “overlooked”, the No. 3, and even more so the No. 1, are already in the realm “special” cigars for me.

That said, not much beats the enjoyment of a great Coronas.

• Like 4

I used to be able to get with 4 or 5 years on them on a vintage page of a great vendor. Those days are long gone. I love the  vitola, it’s a great one hour smoke, perfect for the short get together after work with the guys. And, infinitely better than the dreck available at the local cigar merchants. I don’t understand why the petit corona over shadows the corona vitola. I’ll take a corona anyday. I have’t had one for a while but there are a few sleeping. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, joeypots said:

I don’t understand why the petit corona over shadows the corona vitola.

I don't understand why 52+ RG has become all the rage either. 

There may be no better illustration of the preference change from Corona to Petit Corona than the Monte 3 and 4. The Monte 3 was the best selling CC until the late 90s when the 4 overtook it. By the early 2000s Coronas and Lonsdales were becoming shelf sitters.

Not sure what happened but it happened between 1997-2002. I remember in the late 90s LCDH shelves were stocked with plenty of them. Punch & Partagas Coronas, Boli Coronas, Lonsdales. Churchills too. 

• Like 2

what's there not to get? the corona is, imho, cuba's best vitola. i'm smoking through my 2018 stash right now and they are glorious. when they're smoking right it's cocoa and spice all the way through. i've got an overpacked one in the dry box right now. i may just burn it this evening. 

• Like 3

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...