Current information on house rollers in Havana?

RobBooth

I'm finally heading back to Cuba in the next couple of weeks. 
In my last visit, back in 2020, I picked up a few bundles from Alex Gonzales as well as some Monsdales and some Hector Luis farm rolls. 
I had hoped to go back to Pinar Del Rio, for more farm rolls, but that's not a realistic prospect and I know Alex has moved on too. 
Does anyone have any info on the house rollers currently working in Havana?

Cheers
Rob

I think Reynol is still at Club Havana for Monsdales. Cueto is still at the same place but supposedly has minimal stock. Tough times for customs rolls with Yolanda retired and Alex and Reynaldo leaving. No idea if any farmies are available now due to Ian.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Monocle said:

I think Reynol is still at Club Havana for Monsdales. Cueto is still at the same place but supposedly has minimal stock. Tough times for customs rolls with Yolanda retired and Alex and Reynaldo leaving. No idea if any farmies are available now due to Ian.

I got some Cuetos in @ 2018- they need serious rest (5+ years IMHO) as they are very strong and need to mellow/balance out. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, garagedragon said:

I was in Havana back in June, and purchased some rolls from Juanita, at the Hotel Riviera. Alex's replacement at the Comodoro shop, is a very talented woman roller.

I agree I was there in September, very good custom rolls.

• 3 weeks later...

Just back yesterday.  Have to recommend Jose Fernandez as a great contact.  Had Jose for a few days on our last visit in 2020.  Managed to source me some more of the BHK 56 rolls I'd had from the previous trip as well as some Papo CRs  and some premier factory rolls too ;)  BHK and Siglo VI.  I was also in the car when he did a pick up from one of the factories of a fantastic bundle, for a client - banded and ribbon. First time I'd seen these 😀 

Great guy - message me if you want his details.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/30/2022 at 10:40 AM, ha_banos said:

How were things from a tourist perspective Rob? Infrastructure? Food? People?

Pretty sad if I'm honest.  I saw phone-video footage from Pinar Del Rio.  Hector Luis' farm was razed to the ground and most farms were affected badly by hurricane Ian.   Forecast is very bleak for the coming harvest / year.  Planting and growing won't be the issue but infrastructure required for storage and curing has been massively affected.  
Infrastructure - There were signs of investment around the touristy parts of Havana - down towards the port lot of buildings getting a facelift, the port building itself being revamped. 
A few blocks away and it was the same old story- buildings falling down, along the Malecon too etc. 
Food - we were in a well served hotel but it still felt there were fewer things available than back in 2020.   Massive queues around the city for people collecting their rations and looking for basic provisions. 
A few of the LCDHs had fairly good stock, reflecting the price increases this year.  IIRC Cohiba Robusto were $75 each. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

On 10/29/2022 at 8:20 PM, RobBooth said:

Just back yesterday.  Have to recommend Jose Fernandez as a great contact.  Had Jose for a few days on our last visit in 2020.  Managed to source me some more of the BHK 56 rolls I'd had from the previous trip as well as some Papo CRs  and some premier factory rolls too ;)  BHK and Siglo VI.  I was also in the car when he did a pick up from one of the factories of a fantastic bundle, for a client - banded and ribbon. First time I'd seen these 😀 

Hi Rob
What Custom Rolls Cigars do you suggest me in Havana? And where can i find Bhk56 custom rolls?

Thanks

9 hours ago, cagdas said:

Hi Rob
What Custom Rolls Cigars do you suggest me in Havana? And where can i find Bhk56 custom rolls?

Thanks

It's a difficult one to answer as a lot of the sticks (people) I bought back in 2020 were no longer available this trip.  Alex has left Cuba, Hector Luis farm is all but gone, Reynaldo was in Mexico.    I still have a fair few Monsdales from my last trip so didn't return to Club Havana.   I picked up a handful of Miguel's BHK 56 (Miguel rolled for Hector Luis) back in 2020 and these were no 1 on my radar but with the situation in Pinar Del Rio visiting Miguel wasn't possible.   
Contacting Jose, in advance though, he sorted me some of Miguel's BHK 56 as well as other BHK 56, some Papo BHK 54 and some Siglo VI.   Personally I'd recommend getting in touch with Jose and having a conversation with him, it's likely he'll help you find what you're after.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, cagdas said:

Hi Rob

Thanks

Try the cigar shop at the Hotel Comodoro. The roller that replaced Alex, rolls them. Quite good IMO.

21 hours ago, RobBooth said:

It's a difficult one to answer as a lot of the sticks (people) I bought back in 2020 were no longer available this trip.  Alex has left Cuba, Hector Luis farm is all but gone, Reynaldo was in Mexico.    I still have a fair few Monsdales from my last trip so didn't return to Club Havana.   I picked up a handful of Miguel's BHK 56 (Miguel rolled for Hector Luis) back in 2020 and these were no 1 on my radar but with the situation in Pinar Del Rio visiting Miguel wasn't possible.   
Contacting Jose, in advance though, he sorted me some of Miguel's BHK 56 as well as other BHK 56, some Papo BHK 54 and some Siglo VI.   Personally I'd recommend getting in touch with Jose and having a conversation with him, it's likely he'll help you find what you're after.  

Yes, if you can pass me his contact, will contact him. Thanks a lot

8 hours ago, garagedragon said:

Try the cigar shop at the Hotel Comodoro. The roller that replaced Alex, rolls them. Quite good IMO.

Thanks a lot. i will check it out today

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/6/2022 at 8:02 PM, Mulligan said:

Does anyone know if and/or when Hector Luis will be able to rebuild, produce and get his people (like Miguel) back working? Does he want to rebuild? Does he have the resources? Thank you.

The information I had, when I was there, was that Hector was keen to rebuild but was struggling to get hold of the basic materials needed to rebuild the barns - nails, wood etc. 
Even with those the manpower needed would be an issue to get everything done in time for the harvest itself.

• 2 months later...
On 2/22/2023 at 10:45 AM, helix said:

That was great info. Has anyone any current information on Custom rolls ? Is the Conde open ? Alphonso still around in Varadero 63 calle ? 

I'm pretty sure Conde is toast. Even Riviera and Melia Cohiba are back open. I think you can probably stick a fork in Conde. They dropped a ton of money into the new Partagas shop so I think they want people going there. Reynaldo was the Conde. He's gone so I guess it's pointless.  

Personally the best customs I've had recently were Juanita's who's usually at Riviera but moves next door to Melia Cohiba from time to time like right now for the Festival. No one goes to the Riviera--it's an abandoned building with a cigar shop in it. Very spooky and weird. Anyway, you can get hers at both shops but they're 200 feet apart anyway so you can find her. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/29/2022 at 1:20 PM, RobBooth said:

Pmd

• 5 weeks later...

good morning, 1st time poster here. My buddy is visiting Varadero and is going to pick me up some cigars. Any information about Alphonso at 63 calle or any other custom rolls at any of the hotel out there. Thank you for any replies.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/26/2023 at 6:36 AM, helix said:

Thanks for the info. Indeed Reynaldo was the destination. He is in Cancun I believe . Never had Juanita's how would they compare to Alex or Reynaldo IYO? . Any one at Comodoro ?

Yep, the best I've had were Reynaldo's. He was simply the best. I would say Juanita's are now the best. She's usually at Riviera but can be next door at Melia Habana from time to time. 

Comodoro has the blonde lady now, mid-30s. I always forget her name. Very nice but a bit shy. I've had quite a few from her and not impressed. I don't think she's getting decent leaf. 

The guy that took over from Jorge Ramos at Club Habana is pretty good also. Seems to get decent leaf. 

Arnaldo at Palco is a nice old guy but man, his cigars are awful. Have been since I first tried them in 2017 right through to last month. Ugh. 

Haven't ever had any from Habana Libre or Nacional. Melia Cohiba opened back up in Jan and Yolanda has been there for 25 years. Didn't get any from her but I will next time. She's pretty well-regarded. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 3 months later...
On 4/12/2023 at 12:22 AM, NSXCIGAR said:

Yep, the best I've had were Reynaldo's. He was simply the best. I would say Juanita's are now the best. She's usually at Riviera but can be next door at Melia Habana from time to time. 

Comodoro has the blonde lady now, mid-30s. I always forget her name. Very nice but a bit shy. I've had quite a few from her and not impressed. I don't think she's getting decent leaf. 

The guy that took over from Jorge Ramos at Club Habana is pretty good also. Seems to get decent leaf. 

Arnaldo at Palco is a nice old guy but man, his cigars are awful. Have been since I first tried them in 2017 right through to last month. Ugh. 

Haven't ever had any from Habana Libre or Nacional. Melia Cohiba opened back up in Jan and Yolanda has been there for 25 years. Didn't get any from her but I will next time. She's pretty well-regarded. 

I believe the name of the new roller at the Comodoro is Yani. I also wasn't that impressed with her cigars, but I agree with with you about her not getting decent leaf. She is an excellent torcedor though in my opinion and she prefers making the big RG cigars. Have you had any from her with extra ligero? @NSXCIGAR