MoeFOH's Movie of the Week... Week #22...

MoeFOH's Movie of the Week 🎥

Each week we're going to spotlight a movie... be it a classic, new release, hidden gem, or outright turd... and open it for discussion: i.e. post up your favourite quotes, clips, memories... or dive deeper and give us a critique on why you think it's great, overrated, or a complete train wreck... And finally score it for us... :looking: 

All contributors go into a monthly prize draw for a 3-cigar sampler! :cigar:

PM me with suggestions if there's a movie you want to nominate for next week's discussion. :thumbsup:

Week #22: The Matrix

Moe says: the original probably sits alone in that "WTF just happened?" moment. A fantastically unique and brilliantly realised piece. A game changer in the same class as Pulp Fiction, in my humble opinion. :D

The Matrix is a 1999 science fiction action film written and directed by the Wachowskis. It is the first installment in The Matrix film series, starring Keanu Reeves, Laurence Fishburne, Carrie-Anne Moss, Hugo Weaving, and Joe Pantoliano. It depicts a dystopian future in which humanity is unknowingly trapped inside a simulated reality, the Matrix, which intelligent machines have created to distract humans while using their bodies as an energy source. When computer programmer Thomas Anderson, under the hacker alias "Neo", uncovers the truth, he joins a rebellion against the machines along with other people who have been freed from the Matrix.

The Matrix opened in theaters in the United States on March 31, 1999 to widespread acclaim from critics, who praised its innovative visual effects, action sequences, cinematography and entertainment value, and was a massive success at the box office, grossing over $460 million on a $63 million budget, becoming the highest-grossing Warner Bros. film of 1999 and the fourth highest-grossing film of that year. At the 72nd Academy Awards, the film won all four categories it was nominated for, Best Visual Effects, Best Film Editing, Best Sound, and Best Sound Editing. The film was also the recipient of numerous other accolades, including Best Sound and Best Special Visual Effects at the 53rd British Academy Film Awards, and the Wachowskis were awarded Best Director and Best Science Fiction Film at the 26th Saturn Awards. The film is considered to be among the greatest science fiction films of all time, and in 2012, the film was selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry by the Library of Congress for being "culturally, historically, and aesthetically significant."

Over to you...

How do you rate it? Favourite scenes?

Best moments?... etc, and so on... post 'em up!!

Give us your score out of 10!

:perfect10:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JohnS said:

I remember quite clearly the minimalist promotion campaign that was aligned with this movie but boy it was a genius move.

Somehow at 17-18 years old this movie slipped by me while in the theaters. It was still early internet, so you weren’t instantly connected to everything all at once from a tiny device in your pocket. Probably distracted with all the debauchery we chased as seniors in high school. It wasnt until my next door neighbor called me and said “dude, get over here, you have got to watch this movie”. I did and let out a loud “what the f*** was that” at the end. In a good way. 

Hard to remember how far ahead the action, fighting, and special effects were. You wouldn’t bat an eye now, but that scene in the lobby… gratuitous violence never looked so awesome. Total banger, the sequels were fine, but this will be a classic for future generations. 

• Like 3

“Fate, it seems, is not without a sense of irony“

This quote by Morpheus sums up nicely what the whole premise of the movie is. Humans buggered up the planet, intelligent machines take over, so the humans try to take away the machines’ solar energy supply by blotting out the sun. In turn, the machines start to use humans as batteries. 

I’ve seen this many times, only started to grasp the entirety around the 3rd or 4th go around. The execution of the concept is, in my opinion, flawless. Every time I’ve watched this, it’s managed to completely captivate me and transport me to that dystopian future. The sequels, meh, not so much.

10/10 for me 

7 hours ago, JohnS said:

For me personally, watching the helicopter action scenes at the end of the film in the central business district of Sydney suspended my sense of been lost in the film because I know those buildings around Martin Place quite well (or even when Neo and Matrix get in the limousine under the famous bridge in the Rocks...also quite famous for Sydneysiders). However, the constant green tinge to the visuals from beginning to end goes a long way for me to appreciating that the Matrix belongs in quite a unique place, both in film history and as a subsequent popular cultural reference.

The Rocks? I thought it was under the railway bridge at Elisabeth and Campbell St in Haymarket?

image.png.de640ae2a1c57a3851126fdeeb752918.png

21 hours ago, Goodfortune said:

“Remember, all I’m offering is the truth. Nothing more.”

good quote. in which case, i can advise that i have tried several times. convoluted, navel gazing with some good effects and scenes but ultimately as interesting as watching a rock grow. the equivalent of jazz on film.