Sticky electrical connections on Active Humidification wiring

BTWheezy

I did some humidification system maintenance on my humidor today (an active system that I bought from Bob Staebel). I noticed that the fans weren’t kicking on at all, so time to investigate. Going through all the possibilities, I came across this: a gooey, black substance on the electrical connections. My only guess is that it’s a vapor of sorts from the cigars, which interacts with the electrical current of the wiring? After snipping off the gooey connectors and replacing with new ones, it seems to have been the issue.

Has anyone else come across this before?  I’m only 5 years into cigars, so I’m hoping you grizzled veterans can shed some light. I also have an email into Bob for his perspective. If you have had this experience, how did you deal with it? Is there a permanent fix? Or just part of the process every few years?

Thanks in advance!

- Wheezy

1256111A-D216-4854-A656-B7BE5E54A3A3.jpeg

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

Don't know the voltage but a quick Google search and it might be wiring overheating and that goop is melted insulation

https://www.electriciansforums.net/threads/black-sticky-liquid.54349/

Another possibility is cable jointing compound/pitch:

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5126993/electricity-meter-leaking-black-fluid

• Like 4

Well, I am the expert for all things gooey...

Never seen, but just to offer a guess. Like you say, it looks like some form of condensate. Certainly not molten plastic, that appears intact. I could imagine either a (mild) temperature effect due to a higher contact resistance of the connector. Or an effect of electrical fields causing some inductivity which may locally attract some vaporised and somehow charged particles / aerosols, some sort of fogging. But no idea what it is or could be. How does it smell? Is it water soluble?Humi is fully cedar lined?

Apart from that you should stop smoking inside your humidor. 😅

And, yes, do get in touch with Ray @PigFish

• Haha 3

• BTWheezy changed the title to Sticky electrical connections on Active Humidification wiring
20 minutes ago, Fugu said:

.... why I asked 

😄😜

Doesn’t smell per se, isn’t water-soluble, yes fully lined with Spanish cedar. 😊👍🏼

• Thanks 1

@BTWheezy, I’d like to throw in my 2 cents.

My first impression of the contaminated wiring is the cabling looks like audio cable from the 80’s/90’s. The insulation of this cable type is not designed to carry high voltage or high current. The insulation would break down and “outgas” leaving a sticky film on the cable and connectors. Seen this many times in the past on electronic/electrical equipment/machinery.  Eventually the insulation material breaks down to the point of becoming “brittle” and would crack when it was bent or moved. Not knowing what voltage is in these wires I could definitely be wrong.

If it’s resin from the cedar then you just have to clean as required. If it’s the wiring, then I strongly suggest you replace all wiring as this “outgassing” will permeate your prized possessions.

[Note: if Spanish cedar is properly dried before using it will not produce resin like this. (as all wood for furniture should be and can take several years)]

Edit: It could also be caused by the high humidity that accelerates the outgassing.

• Thanks 1