Deep Dive: Ramon Allones Superiores

El Presidente

Ramon Allones Superiores  

76 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Ramon Allones Superiores 

It was my cigar of last week. Always good but these were another level and back to back experiences to boot. 

Let's talk Ramon Allones Superiores 

• Do you like  Ramon Allones Superiores?
  • Where does it stand in the ranks of thers in the same/similar vitola?
  • Have you noticed a blend/flavour/body change over the years? If so, approximately when?
  • How long does it take you to smoke a Ramon Allones Superiores?
  • Do the poll!

Ramon Allones Superiores! :cigar:

I’m definitely the outlier so far. I love me some RASS and RASCC, but didn’t see that in the Superiores at all. None of that floral/raisiny/stewed fruit I love. Didn’t have the strength or body either. Bought a box off BR late 2020, MOR (or MUR) OCT-12 and still have 3 left. I’m hoping some more time might improve them, but being 8-9 yrs old when I smoked perhaps they are past their prime.

I LOVE the RA Superiores. I fell in love with RA early in my cigar journey and wished for a release in a Corona Gorda from the time I started smoking them. For me the fruit profile in the Superiores is a bit more cherry/berry instead of stewed fruit, but I still get the coffee and cocoa notes I pick up in RASS and RASCC. 

Smoking time on these is usually 60-90 minutes depending on the situation. 

I think for the size this ranks with the Mag 46 and Cohiba Siglo IV as my three favorite Corona Gordas. 

• Like 1

One of my first memorable CCs was a RAS years ago, still love them. Great size, rich smoke. They have always had a well balanced profile for me with cocao, coffee, and a raisin like fruit note. Smoking time around 90mns. Also, great young and even better aged.

Big fan of RASS and in regular rotation for ever, RASCC occasionally, Gigantes some times. The Superiores for me has been hit or miss with many more misses than hits

• Like 1

I 100% get these. That said, I think they really need age first before you can really "get them." I think a lot of us are used to RASS and RASCC being so good out of the box that it's hard to fathom that the Superiores might need a little time. That's not to say they aren't good young, I just think they are one of those "this is a different cigar with the level it it" types of cigars. 

10 minutes ago, jakebarnes said:

I 100% get these. That said, I think they really need age first before you can really "get them." I think a lot of us are used to RASS and RASCC being so good out of the box that it's hard to fathom that the Superiores might need a little time. That's not to say they aren't good young, I just think they are one of those "this is a different cigar with the level it it" types of cigars. 

What's been a good rule of thumb on aging them in your experience?

Are they anything like the Club Allones?

I don't really like RASS and especially don't like RASCC. 

So it is not surprising I do like RAS. 

A much nicer, refined cigar. Don't need a full stomach before lighting one up. 

A very enjoyable cigar. 

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, cnov said:

What's been a good rule of thumb on aging them in your experience?

Are they anything like the Club Allones?

It's a limited experience, but I have really liked them with 3 years right now. 3 into a box and VERY happy with where the most recent one was (3 years, 2 mo). It felt like the flavors amplified, especially in the leather/fruit with a touch of creaminess becoming part of it. It's making me think I should see where they go at 5--I recall reading a decent amount about how good they can be around 5 which is what I was shooting for with the other 2 boxes. 

I found the leather flavour started to dissipate as they aged, with more fruit / creamy flavours coming out. 

but the RAS isn't nearly as leather / earth / fungal tasting as the RASS and/or RASCC

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, jakebarnes said:

It's a limited experience, but I have really liked them with 3 years right now. 3 into a box and VERY happy with where the most recent one was (3 years, 2 mo). It felt like the flavors amplified, especially in the leather/fruit with a touch of creaminess becoming part of it. It's making me think I should see where they go at 5--I recall reading a decent amount about how good they can be around 5 which is what I was shooting for with the other 2 boxes. 

I have 4 boxes of MSU JUL 19. Have not had one in 2 yrs. Very muted flavors. Approaching 3 yrs now so will fire one up this weekend

• Like 1

My favorite cigar. I enjoyed one almost every evening until they disappeared. On my first trip to Cuba I bought 10 boxes for less than $60 a box.  I though having 6-8 boxes on hand was enough…nope. 

• Like 1

On 6/7/2022 at 3:31 PM, jakebarnes said:

Just fired up my MSU JUL 19s. Been storing in old SS2 Cab. Much better than last one 2 yrs ago but for my palate could use another yr of development. Flavors a tad muted

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

This one seems to be a love or hate cigar. I've had many that were lousy. Had many that were quite good. Never had one that was great. The best ones I had were early examples around 13-14. 

Consistency year to year seems to be a bit of an issue with these. 

For me not a cigar I buy or is in my rotation.

• 1 year later...

I like this cigar but I've smoked too few of them to make it a regular smoke (no LCDH in France and it's illegal to buy online).

On 7/6/2022 at 1:22 PM, NSXCIGAR said:

Consistency year to year seems to be a bit of an issue with these. 

In the box I had, the weights went from 9g to 14g so I guess inconsistency might be an issue (as said before).

But the cigars have all been pretty decent imho.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Li Bai said:

I like this cigar but i've smoked too few of them to make it a regular smoke (no LCDH in France and it's illegal to buy online).

In the box i had, the weights went from 9g to 14g so i guess inconsistency might be an issue (as said before).

But the cigars have all been pretty decent imho.

I haven't tried any recent production but world price has really jumped up on these. A $23 Corona Gorda is a tough one to swallow and this one in particular. Personally I don't think it's any better than Punch Punch or JL S1. To me at least through 2020 production they've never really matched the quality of the original run in 2013-14 which was quite good. 

• Thanks 2

37 minutes ago, NSXCIGAR said:

Personally I don't think it's any better than Punch Punch or JL S1.

Totally agree !

And I enjoy both enough to not feel the itch for those Superiores 🤗