Fakes?

Dougthesnail

Bought a box of Siglo VI at Taj Mahal Duty Free in Ocho Rios, Jamaica. 

Suspect because the label on Habanos S.A does not show up as authentic and the box code is OCT 08–I know they did not use the hologram band at this time.

The bands look really good though.  Hologram, consistent lettering all cigars are consistent construction, triple cap, etc.

20211219_092204.jpg

20211219_092216.jpg

20211219_092156.jpg

20211219_092142.jpg

Edited by Dougthesnail

17 minutes ago, nKostyan said:

Always surprised by guys who upload low-quality photos and ask for help....

1 minute ago, Dougthesnail said:

Any dead giveaway?

That shot of the feet could have been in 240P resolution and it still would have made me cringe. Cut one open, I would love to see whats actually in these things. those look like very thick stems. No good cigars (cuban or not) contain stems like that. 

Siglo VI's sitting on the shelf for 13 years is another glaring red flag, the new bands (also very fake) in an 08 box are the final nail in the coffin. Its a real bummer to see fakes being sold in Duty free, but it doesn't surprise me in Jamaica. I hope the rest of the trip was better! 

• Like 3

The immediate clue for me is the way the gold taino head isn’t centered on its white background. This is always perfectly centered on an authentic band, and it’s usually the first giveaway.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
22 hours ago, Dougthesnail said:

Bumping this old thread. I checked the serial number previously showing not registered and today and it popped up as Official Habanos S.A.

Interesting. You said it popped up as something else initially? I dont see that you posted photos of the box, but I was assuming it may have been real, then restuffed with Fake cigars. That type of thing happens pretty regularly.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Corylax18 said:

Interesting. You said it popped up as something else initially? I dont see that you posted photos of the box, but I was assuming it may have been real, then restuffed with Fake cigars. That type of thing happens pretty regularly.  

It initially popped up as "Not official Habanos S.A." I returned the cigars, but I was checking photos on my phone today and decided to check the code again, and sure enough it came up as SIGLO VI.

5 hours ago, Dougthesnail said:

It initially popped up as "Not official Habanos S.A." I returned the cigars, but I was checking photos on my phone today and decided to check the code again, and sure enough it came up as SIGLO VI.

That's very common for Habanos web site. Looks like when there's any issues with the app, the response is "Not official Habanos S.A.".