The Bad Years & Dubai Airport

So I was in the La Casa del Habanos in Abu Dhabi and saw some pretty old boxes dating back to the early 2000s and prior, even a Cab of Punch Punch (although it looked a few shy of 50).  So what years should I be avoiding?  

Also, is the savings & selection (any chance of seeing a box of Punch DCs there?) at duty free in Dubai Airport worth it?  Box prices in Abu Dhabi are a little higher then was El Pres offers and I am kind of apprehensive on shelling out that kind of money.  

10 minutes ago, Kitchen said:

So what years should I be avoiding?  

Generally 1999-2001 are the bad years with in my opinion 2001 being worst, but opinions vary. I'd say go for it though as I've had pretty good luck.

There were some other less than stellar years since but those 3 years are really thought of as being something else. Again I've had good cigars from those years so it's not an absolute.

Only thing is someone on another thread mentioned putting newer cigars in older boxes for partial boxes.

• Like 3

I smoked my fair share of 99-01 and my opinion is that 99 has been the worst. I could see myself gamble on 00-01 if I can inspect the box and squeeze on some sticks to check the construction. Otherwise I would avoid. I would never buy a 99 unless it’s something that I’ve been really looking for, but then I know it’s a gamble.

• Like 2

Abu Dhabi airport has a lousy selection of Habanos.  Dubai has pretty good one.  I would go for Middle Eastern regional's.  They'l let you inspect boxes as well at the Dubai Duty Free.

20 hours ago, Nico said:

I smokes my fair share of 99-01 and my opinion is that 99 has been the worst. I could see myself gamble on 00-01 if I can inspect the box and squeeze on some sticks to check the construction. Otherwise I would avoid. I would never buy a 99 unless it’s something that I’ve been really looking for, but then I know it’s a gamble.

There were plenty of well rolled cigars from that era, but they've already been smoked or stored IMO.  I would be hesitant in going for any remainders of that era.  If you can inspect the boxes and thing they look well rolled; go for them!

• Like 2

I flew out of Dubai airport twice in the last several weeks  ( nov 14 and dec 12 ) and on dec I saw limited new stock but marked improvement over my trip in nov 14. Some of what they had was Cohiba Medio siglo, Trinidad vigia, a lot from monte line, Ramon allones no2 edition Limitada, rass, etc. 

But honestly they didn’t have a lot  of stock so it could all be gone by now 

3 hours ago, Cigarsmoker81 said:

I flew out of Dubai airport twice in the last several weeks  ( nov 14 and dec 12 ) and on dec I saw limited new stock but marked improvement over my trip in nov 14. Some of what they had was Cohiba Medio siglo, Trinidad vigia, a lot from monte line, Ramon allones no2 edition Limitada, rass, etc. 

But honestly they didn’t have a lot  of stock so it could all be gone by now 

Friend of mine travelled back through Dubai week or so ago, he couldn’t pick anything up from my list. Very slim pickings.

• Sad 1