H. Upmann Half Corona boxes vs tins

burgosdacosta

Hi. I was wondering, as I don't have a formed opinion on the subject yet, if you guys think it is better to get 5 tins of 5 or a full 25 box. The thing is, the tins are Mar/20 and the box is Feb/21 and I would like to smoke a couple in less than a year time. Maybe I'll just go ahead and get a box and two tins. 😅

• JohnS changed the title to H. Upmann Half Corona boxes vs tins
3 hours ago, burgosdacosta said:

One would not consider 2 years real aging right?

Correct--I think the consensus around here is that real aging starts in the five year range.    I do have a box of these hidden away to age.

• Like 2

" One would not consider 2 years real aging right? "

of course it's real, and 2 years can make a noticeable improvement.

• Like 4

• 7 months later...

Aging is something I’ve altered quite a bit since first starting out. I used to just throw boxes in the deep storage and pull em out after 5 years but I’ve now changed tactics considerably. If the cigar is enjoyable now, I smoke it now. I once thought ‘ that wow this is great, I wonder what it will be like in 5 years’. I don’t do that any longer because it is a huge risk. It doesn’t always get better and sometimes they get worse. A good cigar in hand is worth two in storage to me now. I’ve had superb cigars with less than a year on them, and when I find them like this, I smoke them, don’t wait. So really only cigars that don’t taste great right now go into my storage anymore. It’s just me and probably not conventional, but having done the serious aging routine, and been let down as much as I’ve been impressed, I’ve changed my routine with storage. Don’t know if this helps someone starting out but would say, trust your pallet, if it smokes good now- smoke em.

• Like 2

Some Cuban cigars are ready to smoke very young. The PSD#4 comes to mind. Others need time, I think, and I sample boxes until I think the cigars are good to go and I burn through them.The price difference between a box and 5 tins would matter to me and a box and two tins sounds ideal. I've always thought Upmans benefit from time more than, for example, Hoyos but who knows these days, It's really a matter of taste.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...