Escaping the Westernised menu, Chinese restaurants.....what's your order?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So a few recent favourites of mine have been,  Dan Dan noodles Mapo Tofu Morning Glory greens in garlic sauce Bean curd sheet beef and ginger dumplings

For all the ill's of the internet, I love the fact, that for how ever random and mentally ill the thought.    there will be an image or a product to go with it

I'm Chinese and I love sweet and sour pork 😂

15 hours ago, Slayer said:

Broccoli has worked it's way in to many Asian dishes, but yes, it is considered a "Western" vegetable if you will. 

The China Town style restaurants in my locale serve Chinese Broccoli which looks similar to Broccoli Rabe, but larger.  They also serve many other vegetables that are not as common to mainstream American cooking.

My favorite lately has been Uyghur food! I live in a part of Southern California with a sprawling and massive Chinatown.  And lately Uyghur dishes like korma chop (spicy hand torn noodle) and  Samsa (essentially a samosa) have stolen my heart.

otherwise i could eat Sichuan food all day. I’m fully addicted to the numbing sichuan peppercorn.   Mapo Tofu, Dan Dan noodles, beef roll, Cumin Lamb, Couples Sliced Beef (kinda a tripe salad in Sichuan chili oil with peanuts), and boiled fish with Ratan pepper are typically my go to.  

• Like 4

On 2/25/2023 at 8:05 AM, Slayer said:

Broccoli has worked it's way in to many Asian dishes, but yes, it is considered a "Western" vegetable if you will. 

No, it is a western vegetable, it was first cultivated by the Romans. It was introduced into China around the 1900s.

We use gai lan and other asian leafy greens like bok choy, choy sum, wombok etc..

Gai Lan (Chinese Broccoli) - A Culinary Guide

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, dominattorney said:

Soup dumplings for the win. What an incredible delicacy. 

We have so many Shanghainese restaurants in Sydney, we are completely spoiled for choice when it comes to xiao long bao. The suburb I lived in as a kid (Ashfield) is now littered with restaurants serving northern Chinese cuisine. Competition is fierce, and the quality beats Din Tai Fung. Not to mention the other northern Chinese dishes like, biang biang noodles, liang pi noodles, sheng jian bao, ci fan... the list goes on.

On 9/14/2021 at 11:05 AM, Fuzz said:

Oh, no, no, no! Broccoli doesn't belong in Chinese dishes!! 

Fuzz, what about cashews?

In the 50 + years i have been going to chinese restaurants with my mum, she has always ordered chicken cashew brocolli insisting it is real Chinese. I argue that it is about as authentic Chinese as Prawn Crackers.

A picture of Delia's Oriental Chicken Stir-fry with Broccoli and Cashew Nuts recipe

Say the word and I am going to tell her she is full of it. :D

4 hours ago, El Presidente said:

In the 50 + years i have been going to chinese restaurants with my mum, she has always ordered chicken cashew brocolli insisting it is real Chinese. I argue that it is about as authentic Chinese as Prawn Crackers.

Well cashews are a big step up from those chook nuts you eat . 😎🌴😃

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, El Presidente said:

Well, cashews do originate from Brazil, but they have been in China for hundreds of years. Peanuts and cashews were introduced into China somewhere around the 1600-1700s by Portuguese traders. There are a lot of traditional chinese dishes that used cashews and peanuts.... but chicken cashew broccoli is not one of them! Pretty sure it is a Chinese American invention.

Mind you, my mother does make a chicken cashew stir fry with carrots and celery. That is a Cantonese style dish she grew up with in HK.

• Thanks 1