Australian Pelican Enrichment

nice timing. great birds.

often see pelicans on the beach down here if i get to an early morning walk. one will let you come slowly up to about six foot away, though normally only if he is hanging around a fisherman hoping for a snack. most take off if you get withing 30 feet. 

yesterday morning, one was happily standing on the beach watching the world. normally any bird on the beach is fairly aware of what is going on but this one must have been day-dreaming. no idea if pelicans daydream but it completely missed me walking along the beach. i got about 7-8 foot from it when it saw me. the poor thing jumped out of its skin. got such a shock. never seeen a bird get such a surprise. by this stage i was passed it so it did not take off but i'll be interested next time i see one. 

• Like 2

Just now, Ken Gargett said:

what do you actually think happens in nature?

and you've never eaten chicken, squab, quail, pigeon, duck, turkey, emu, goose...?

I have actually eaten Pelican. Salted peilcan. Fishy favour which is to be expected. 

Not a big fan of pelicans. A few years back I was walking on a pier in Florida with the wife and we saw a pelican with a plastic bag stuck on his head. My wife felt bad and, being the animal loving person she is, decided to try to help the pelican take it off. Once the bag was off the pelican pecked her leg as a thank you. Evil animals I tell you!

11 hours ago, El Presidente said:

I have actually eaten Pelican. Salted peilcan. Fishy favour which is to be expected. 

Did it taste of pigeon too?