ERDM Kon Tiki?

Just saw pictures of this RE for the Andes.  Looks like a 109 like the new-ish LGC Orgullosos. I at least find this release to be interesting because most of the 109 REs have been very good. Anyone had any or have any more info on these?

• 1 month later...
anyone smoke these recently? I picked up a box. not much info of many reviews on them out there on the internet. 

Smoked one - it was rather good. Reports from other split participants were also positive.
22344fba1ffc58961d8242865c7e1aa7.jpg
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Lucass111 said:

Damn that looks nice! Only 1 million dollars?

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

Close ;) Around $2100. I believe MSRP is in the $1500 range but very hard to get without flying to Lima or thereabouts...

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Notsocleaver said:
That's some really funny packaging there. 3 rows of 13 then one row of 11? Something about that just bugs me for some reason.

It’s certainly unique. Never seen this before. Usually 50 cabs have a bundle tied with a ribbon. It doesn’t really bug me and I actually prefer the lid with a clasp versus a slide lid which sometimes is pretty hard to slide in and out.

19 hours ago, Bram Smoker said:
What countries are included on this regional? I was bumping around trying to get an answer.

Previous RE from that region were BPE (Bolivar, Peru, Ecuador) but I would guess you can get them in Chile and Argentina as well.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Great looking cigars. Time to see who at the office is heading to Bolivia, Peru, or Ecuador, maybe Chile and Argentina, in the next few months! If I get a lead on any I'll be sure to check back in because my pockets aren't deep enough for the full cab.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Corylax18 said:

Is the box code stamped on the lid? Very odd packaging indeed. I thought they had 50 Cabs for cigars of this size figured out a long time ago. The 109 is a great Vitola though. 

It's on the bottom. I think they just wanted to be different and special - or they ran out of the yellow ribbon ;)

• Like 1

On 7/31/2019 at 4:59 AM, Corylax18 said:

Is the box code stamped on the lid? Very odd packaging indeed. I thought they had 50 Cabs for cigars of this size figured out a long time ago. The 109 is a great Vitola though. 

Even if they didn't want it to be an SLB (i.e. no ribboned halfwheel), you should think they could have easily gone the 5 x 10 route, like in the 50-sbn Trini of old.

Indeed strange, very strange packaging. Looking to me like it came by mistake - as if someone couldn't handle the math - ("...hmm, now 50 divided by 13,... or by 12... :thinking: ?!? neither getting me even results....:unsure:.") And so eventually they had to throw in that king-size place holder... But special it is, indeed.

• Like 1

On 7/31/2019 at 4:02 PM, Lotusguy said:

It's on the bottom. I think they just wanted to be different and special - or they ran out of the yellow ribbon ;)

It's actually more interesting then that! This type of packaging was rare but existed until the 70s, and I believe it was called Kon Tiki, hence the name of the cigar. So in this case it wasn't down to the usual "Cuban workaround", but actually done with on purpose, and I for one am glad they did it. BTW, PM incoming. :rolleyes:

• Like 2

Just now, SenorPerfecto said:

Under $35 for a 109 from a 50 cab doesn't sound outrageous...

+7% insurance but still the lowest price I've seen

• Like 1

On 8/2/2019 at 12:39 PM, TheMonk said:

It's actually more interesting then that! This type of packaging was rare but existed until the 70s, and I believe it was called Kon Tiki, hence the name of the cigar. So in this case it wasn't down to the usual "Cuban workaround", but actually done with on purpose, and I for one am glad they did it. BTW, PM incoming. :rolleyes:

That's interesting info. Any source of reference for it? That then eventually seems to give sense to the year reference '1973'. Why 1973, when Heyerdahl's expedition took place in 1947? So perhaps a one-off special commission back then to commemorate the 25th anniversary (well, as always a year late... :lol:)