You know it's on ESPN somewhere...

A sports post by @Colt45, closely followed by seeing the below cartoon on FB, this morning, prompted me to ask the question, what is and isn't (or rather, should and shouldn't) be considered a legit sport? What's the broadest stretching of the term you've seen?--particularly ones that have secured tv coverage. 

Paper-rock-scissors.jpg

• Haha 1

I recall watching the Olympics some years ago and the wife and I caught a power walking race. A bunch of people waddling like penguins. It was the most ridiculous thing I ever saw... 

Oh and car racing isnt a sport. Not even super cars. Especially not nascar.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, MD Puffer said:

Video games (ie “e-sports”) are not sports. 

I think it is, it’s a competition using hand eye coordination.

Pretty much any game can be considered a sport because of mental or physical skill required to compete.

Now, competitive eating on the other hand, is a little tough to swallow but by my definition, it is a sport.

and if input is a sport, so is output...

http://southpark.cc.com/clips/1cgdy1/crap-verification

• Like 1

The definition of "sports" is an activity that requires physical exertion, dexterity and skill, in which an individual or team compete against another/others, according to a set of rules. 

Now the question is, can other non-physical activities be considered sports? Disregarding full contact tiddlywinks (we all know that is a true sport), does one consider chess, bridge or Go as a sport? According to a lot of people, mind games are considered sports. We consider less physical games, eg target shooting, fishing, and animal assisted games (equestrian, fly ball) as sports. Are card games considered sports? They require strategy and skill.

What about racing? Are all racing games considered sports? Is there a difference between Moto GP, F1, supercars, drone racing, or drag racing?

Competitive eating has been mentioned. That requires physical exertion, dexterity and skill. Sounds like it meets all the requirements to be defined as a sport. But is stuffing your gob really a sport? What about Rock, Paper, Scissors?

Frankly, no matter how dumb it is, any activity with a defined set of rules can be considered a "sport" if people are willing to participate, and somebody is willing to watch it. Wait a minute....  :lookaround: :surprised: :hole:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Diabolicalpherpher said:

I think it is, it’s a competition using hand eye coordination.

Pretty much any game can be considered a sport because of mental or physical skill required to compete.

Now, competitive eating on the other hand, is a little tough to swallow but by my definition, it is a sport.

and if input is a sport, so is output...

http://southpark.cc.com/clips/1cgdy1/crap-verification

Since you opened Pandora's box....

latest?cb=20100303001204

ATHLETES?

And Webster's defines sports as:

sport

noun

Definition of sport (Entry 2 of 3)

a: a source of diversion : RECREATION
b: sexual play
?(1): physical activity engaged in for pleasure
(2): a particular activity (such as an athletic game) so engaged in

Admission.  I never knew sport was synonymous with sex. 

Video gamers can play nicely and be "good sports", but in my mind sports are at least somewhat athletic.  Physically demanding to some degree.  If video games are a sport because someone has developed good muscle memory in their thumbs and fingers then here are some other sports:

1.  Typing

2.  Drawing/painting/art stuff in general

3.  Playing musical instruments (excluding the skin flute- see definition above)

4.  Cutting hair

5.  Beating eggs and other cooking related stuff

6.  Cutting/lighting cigars (obvious one, right?)

7.  Using the mouse to surf the internet (or shop on Amazon)

8.  Playing cards/poker

9.  Day-to-day driving (not racing)

10. Using remote control/couch surfing

ETA:  Now that I look at the first definition I realize video games might fit the technical definition.  I suspect I missed it because anytime I see the word "sex" or any iteration thereof my focus is immediately drawn to it.  Still, my own personal definition excludes video games.  

• Like 1

Just dawned on me...

Competitive cigar smoking.

7467c78954470032f3ea7e25252bc89019062ff4287a41d134a4998f6b22db7e.jpg

Isn't that what the Daily Smokes thread"s about?

Sent from 47171 Lempo 

5 hours ago, MD Puffer said:

Just dawned on me...

Competitive cigar smoking.

Image result for mind blown kramer

Yep, saw that at the Partagas festival last year. Longest ash in 15min. Turned my stomach watching people do that to themselves.

LFTW the original FOH cigar feeding frenzy felt like a contact sport and it was a fun one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“There are only three sports, bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering and all the rest are merely games”.

-Ernest Hemingway

i would exchange mountaineering for fighting (boxing, muay thai, etc.), and agree that the rest are just games.

-dobbs