Box count and quality

For those who have had the opportunity to go through numerous boxes of the same marca/Vitola. 

Do you notice a difference in quality of a cigar within box counts (10/25/50/tubos). That is, are cigars packaged in 50 count better quality than the same marca/Vitola in a 25 count? Or are cigars merely selected for a box/tubos based on similar appearance and packaged accordingly?  

This question is meant more for regular production cigars but all input is appreciated. Obviously date of production and factories play a factor. 

Lots of variables. Depends on what boxes the best rollers are working on, the kind of day that roller is having, the crop they are working with, and the qc of management from the factory. I dont think there is a more reliable count than another based on count. Need to rely on inspection, or trust your vendor to do that for you.

I’m a dress box guy love the artistry and practicality. Gimme two 25 count dress boxes with different box codes and you can have your 50 count one code cab.

I do like the smaller SLBs / wood boxes / cabs: 10-12 counters.

Way too many SLBs and cabs have poor construction (I mean the boxes now not the cigars) 

Looking for things to hang one's hat on, regarding anything CC is wishful at best

I've found the quality of product according to box / cab count is a moving target, but the 'chase' is disturbingly exciting !

I also prefer the artistry and shape of dress boxes; thankfully ( at this moment in time ) my preferred suppliers are not overly bound by plain packaging / health warning stickers etc.

Edit: Tubos, on average usually contain quality sticks.

I think there are some folks on this forum who might be able to tell the difference between cigars aged in cabs vs dress boxes.

Unfortunately, I am not one of them.  But I enjoy them all just the same, so that may actually be a good thing!

I used to love opening a cabinet of naked cigars wrapped in a yellow ribbon.  Those cigars seemed to be better. I've got no proof. But they sure seemed special and the presentation made it so.  Now it's just a cedar (laminate cedar) box with 50 cigars in it.  

Who am I kidding.  I still chase 'em and prefer 'em! ;)

I know the majority of people believe 50 count cabs are ideal for aging due to placement and oil transfer etc. So, for aging purposes most prefer slb or cabinets. My question is not so much in terms of aging potential but quality. Basically, are cigars in 50 cabs or tubos made by better rollers or is there a secondary inspection process because they are so coveted. Or am I giving Habanos SA too much credit. 

Cabinet Seleccion - before the revolution, it was a guarantee of the selected quality of cigars for storage in special premium cabinets-humidors. Currently, cigars in SLB have two sides of the coin: they are beautiful on the outside, often terrible on the inside. Besides cigars outside often crushed by the band and curve.

Nature Boxes happens to have a high-quality upper tier, the lower are terrible. But that's not the rule either. NB10 have only the upper tier, it is convenient when you buy an open box.

Tubos cigars are need to be smooth so they can be gently inserted and removed.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Bri Fi said:

are cigars in 50 cabs or tubos made by better rollers 

I don’t think individual rollers work on individual boxes / cabs. I believe the cigars from multiple rollers are sorted into matching shades, which are then packed up into boxes etc. 

I’m still interested in the OP’s question. If I was running a factory, I’d think “The people buying 50 cabs really love my product. They will be the most discerning and demanding. I’ll make sure they get good stuff!”

I might think the reverse about the three packs.

But I have no idea if any of this really applies.

R

I have found that consistency increases the larger the packaging size. Cubans are matched by shade, so in a 50 cab you need 50 wrappers that are relatively uniform, which means they are more likely to come from the center of the bell curve. Petcas and tubos can be whatever. Some of the darkest and lightest wrappers I've seen are from petcas. That said, I once bought a 50 cab of HdM EE with a small factory box code that were the Forrest Gump of cigars. Wrappers looked fine but a swear some of them were folded rather than rolled and I'll be damned if there was any blend to them at all. Funny thing is that they were still good, but good like a bundle custom rolls are.

I guess the bottom line is that there probably are some differences on average, but I think you would have to be buying hundreds of boxes to notice.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, RDB said:

I don’t think individual rollers work on individual boxes / cabs. I believe the cigars from multiple rollers are sorted into matching shades, which are then packed up into boxes etc. 

I’m still interested in the OP’s question. If I was running a factory, I’d think “The people buying 50 cabs really love my product. They will be the most discerning and demanding. I’ll make sure they get good stuff!”

I might think the reverse about the three packs.

But I have no idea if any of this really applies.

R

you're right. rollers make cigars, then cigars go to escaparate room for few days, then to packing room where those are sorting by wrapper color. 

as for me bigger boxes better for long term storage and doesn't matter for short storage.