Tight Cigars improve over time once punched/cut?

I first started smoking cigars about 5 years ago and over time I've occasionally come across cigars way too tight to smoke, I got into the habit of stashing these in an old cigar box at the bottom of one of my tupperdores thinking at some point I'd probably cut them up and put them in a pipe.

Anyway fast forward to today and I was doing a reorganisation of my tupperdores and came across said box of misfits, on a whim I tried the draw on them....

Some were perfect, some were still a little tight but definitely smokable, I think I've got six in that box and *all* of them are now smokable...

I just went out and smoked a Bolivar PC which I can recall from years ago was unsmokably tight, today it was perfect! It smoked down to the nub beautifully.

I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed this?

• Like 1

I'd highly recommend you buy a "Perfect Draw" tool. They sell them on Amazon. Hands down the best cigar accessory I've ever owned. This tool turns  your tightest cigar into an easy smooth draw with a few twists. It will make all your cigars smokable right away. 

Cigars are stored in 65rh tupperdores with boveda's, hygrometer says rh is ok, bear in mind these are all cigars that came from boxes, not singles, so the rest of the cigars in said boxes smoked fine, these were the exceptions that didn't, but they've all come good after being left for a couple years with their caps open...

I would suggest this would matter more with a torpedo shaped head than a standard cap, but that's a blind guess.  Could enable the tip of the cigar to loosen up a bit.  FOHrensics anyone?

2 hours ago, dageshi said:

but they've all come good after being left for a couple years with their caps open...

My personal thought, with no scientific basis, is that it would be more about the time than the caps being clipped. The feet of most cigars are open - I don't know how much additional "flow through" there would be in a closed environment.

I have had that happen to me as well. Might be that they dry out a little, but honestly, I think some of it comes down to the mood I was in when I clipped the cigar.  Some days I'm just willing to be more patient with a sub par draw, or days nothing short of perfect will do.

I've been collecting tent pegs for over 20 years. Have a few boxes of them.

Typically when I clip a cigar and find the draw too snug for my liking (or non-existent) I toss it in the singles drawers. Many of these cigars open up within a few days, weeks or years.

Some never have.

While the PerfecDraw can help with many cigars, there are some that neither time, temperature or a poke will ever be smokeable intact. 2000 SLR DC I'm looking at you ?

10 hours ago, fitzy said:

I've noticed dry boxing cigars like that usually makes them smokable. So I'll cut a cigar check the draw and if it's too tight it goes into the dry box. 

Yep x2