Should I Get The Avallo?

joshhooper7

Alright guys, I’ve started some conversation with Matt about getting a new humidor. Going for the DDD+ but only 19 inches deep instead of 2 feet, holding the refrigeration and active humidification and going to run about 20 320g Bovedas in it. 

Does anyone’s here have an Avallo? I’d love to see some pictures and hear thoughts on how they compare to Aristocrats. 

Cheers!

Josh

10 hours ago, Markspring1978 said:

I ripped off your humidor at about 95% when I ordered mine. A few differences in the glass but pretty similar. 

I am now at 12 weeks of waiting on an original estimate of 8-9 weeks. I am not upset and can wait for it to be properly finished. I am running out of room in my old wineador and 150qt coolidor. I will probably have to make some arrangements soon if It doesn't get finished quickly. I would guess the realistic wait time now for a unit is 4 months. 

1 hour ago, bsubtown said:

I ripped off your humidor at about 95% when I ordered mine. A few differences in the glass but pretty similar. 

I am now at 12 weeks of waiting on an original estimate of 8-9 weeks. I am not upset and can wait for it to be properly finished. I am running out of room in my old wineador and 150qt coolidor. I will probably have to make some arrangements soon if It doesn't get finished quickly. I would guess the realistic wait time now for a unit is 4 months. 

I agree, whatever time frame you are quoted, I would double it. I also ran into the storage issue. Went down to Staples and bought a couple of the 65 quart sealable Tupperware containers, they held me over until mine showed up. 

• 2 weeks later...

I’m considering ordering from Avallo as well. Took shipment of a Mini-Tall from Aristocrat a while ago, but I’ve run out of space (I know... I should have listened and gone bigger). My main concern, though, is odors. Unfortunately, my Aristocrat has had some issues with odors. I was hoping it’d have a neutral odor, or smell mildly of Spanish cedar, but since taking delivery, it’s had a less than pleasing smell (sort of like walking through a home depot - makes sense given the new materials used to build the thing, but would you want your cigars smelling like that?). So much so that I won’t put singles in the singles drawer (they tend to take on the smell and not smoke great - boxes do a decent job of blocking the smell, so I’m not worried about those). Tried airing it out (for weeks with a fan inside), but whenever it’s humidified up, the smell returns. Don’t get it, but anyway. . . Has anyone else had similar issues (an I just being insane?), and how is Avallo in that regard?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, McBeardface said:

I’m considering ordering from Avallo as well. Took shipment of a Mini-Tall from Aristocrat a while ago, but I’ve run out of space (I know... I should have listened and gone bigger). My main concern, though, is odors. Unfortunately, my Aristocrat has had some issues with odors. I was hoping it’d have a neutral odor, or smell mildly of Spanish cedar, but since taking delivery, it’s had a less than pleasing smell (sort of like walking through a home depot - makes sense given the new materials used to build the thing, but would you want your cigars smelling like that?). So much so that I won’t put singles in the singles drawer (they tend to take on the smell and not smoke great - boxes do a decent job of blocking the smell, so I’m not worried about those). Tried airing it out (for weeks with a fan inside), but whenever it’s humidified up, the smell returns. Don’t get it, but anyway. . . Has anyone else had similar issues (an I just being insane?), and how is Avallo in that regard?

That's surprising to me, my Aristocrat  M+ had no issue at all with any odors. Have loved it from day 1.

• Like 1

That's surprising to me, my Aristocrat  M+ had no issue at all with any odors. Have loved it from day 1.

I was surprised also! Cabinet is definitely one of the last Bob produced (rumors of retirement started up shortly after taking delivery). Quality is clearly top notch, and Bob did everything he could to help me out (he went above and beyond his duty), so I’m at a bit of a loss and wondering if it’s all in my head (although, I really don’t think it is). Would love to get a second sniff-test opinion from another Aristocrat owner, but it’s difficult to transmit an odor via the interwebz!

2 hours ago, McBeardface said:

I was surprised also! Cabinet is definitely one of the last Bob produced (rumors of retirement started up shortly after taking delivery). Quality is clearly top notch, and Bob did everything he could to help me out (he went above and beyond his duty), so I’m at a bit of a loss and wondering if it’s all in my head (although, I really don’t think it is). Would love to get a second sniff-test opinion from another Aristocrat owner, but it’s difficult to transmit an odor via the interwebz!

Do your the cause of his retirement! Just kidding! Wet lumber smell?

Do your the cause of his retirement! Just kidding! Wet lumber smell?

Don’t think for a second that hadn’t crossed my mind the moment I found out he was retiring. “I pushed him into it, and I deserve to be tarred and feathered” was what flashed in my mind. But, in all seriousness, Bob was great and he seemed perfectly happy to help me out.

To be completely honest, I wouldn’t be able to identify wet lumber smell if I was hit in the balls with a sopping 2x4 (I am only a humble desk jockey), but that would make sense given that the smell shows up when the door is closed and the cabinet has been humidified. When I opened up the door and aired it out, it would go back to smelling like Spanish cedar. I don’t know what the solution is with this cabinet, but the fact remains that I need to start think about ordering something larger (I promise I wasn’t trying to hijack this thread).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, McBeardface said:

I’ve had an Avallo for about 6 months, no smell issues. In fact, the smell that greets me when I open it is one of life’s simple pleasures. 

1 hour ago, Markspring1978 said:

I’ve had an Avallo for about 6 months, no smell issues. In fact, the smell that greets me when I open it is one of life’s simple pleasures. 

I agree with you.  I have an Aristocrat that is fairly full and the smell when I open it is just amazing.

My Savoy Executive desktop is like that! I fee like my cabinet needs to be also.

• 1 month later...
On 6/2/2019 at 4:39 PM, tstoner said:

I have 2 Avallo units one for over 10 years. Excellent construction and functionality. I know Matt is very busy right now so be prepared to wait. Top notch guy !

Post some pics !

On 6/2/2019 at 8:05 AM, Markspring1978 said:

Pics Por Favor!

1 minute ago, Buck14 said:

Pics Por Favor!

The Avallo is at the office. I’m headed in for a little paperwork later this morning. I’ll take a few when I’m in. The only bad thing about this unit...it is packed to the gills. I need to get another on order. 

Just now, Markspring1978 said:

The Avallo is at the office. I’m headed in for a little paperwork later this morning. I’ll take a few when I’m in. The only bad thing about this unit...it is packed to the gills. I need to get another on order. 

You have my address, you know how to clear some space out!