Is Montecristo A still produced?

As title says: What's the deal with Montecristo A? Are they still being produced?

When I was in Cuba 5+ years ago there were plenty to go around so I bought a single to try (being such a risky investment for a cigar that size). Go forward to last summer I couldn't find any when I was back there and it's bothered me ever since. The only one I smoked was an A+(:P) spring/early summer smoke and I've wanted to add a fiver to my collection ever since. I've seen them pop up once on 24:24 but I was too late, other than that every vendor seems to be out of stock...

I think they have been on 24:24 at least half a dozen times in the last two years, but they do seem to sell out pretty quick when they come up.  They are still producing them, but clearly not that many.  I'd just keep an eye out for them.

13 minutes ago, MrGlass said:

I think they have been on 24:24 at least half a dozen times in the last two years, but they do seem to sell out pretty quick when they come up.  They are still producing them, but clearly not that many.  I'd just keep an eye out for them.

Maybe I'm just confused, everywhere I go there's plenty of at least 10 other Montecristo vitolas I've never heard about nor have I an interest in trying... but this classic cigar I'm on the lookout for is eluding me.

Yes, they are still produced. 

However, due to the size and the required time (at least 2-3hrs in one sitting) to smoke these, not many are sold. Therefore, production has been reduced. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JayTheTurk said:

As title says: What's the deal with Montecristo A? Are they still being produced?

When I was in Cuba 5+ years ago there were plenty to go around so I bought a single to try (being such a risky investment for a cigar that size). Go forward to last summer I couldn't find any when I was back there and it's bothered me ever since. The only one I smoked was an A+(:P) spring/early summer smoke and I've wanted to add a fiver to my collection ever since. I've seen them pop up once on 24:24 but I was too late, other than that every vendor seems to be out of stock...

On my list and none to be found. Plenty of Culebra everywhere. Speaking of which @El Presidente has the Culebra PSP graced 24:24 before and can we expect 5’s of Monte A anytime soon?

2 hours ago, jay8354 said:

Yes, they are still produced. 

However, due to the size and the required time (at least 2-3hrs in one sitting) to smoke these, not many are sold. Therefore, production has been reduced. 

Are you sure of this?

They are basically sold out worldwide.

Based upon the finite availability of quantity Cuban wrapper leaf, I would have put it down to a production vs. revenue decision.

The wrapper of a Monte A (which sells for say USD $20) would take a half portion of a very large wrapper quality leaf.

That same portion could be used to make 3 Petit Edmundos which sell for around USD $11 each.

2 hours ago, Andy04 said:

Are you sure of this?

They are basically sold out worldwide.

Based upon the finite availability of quantity Cuban wrapper leaf, I would have put it down to a production vs. revenue decision.

The wrapper of a Monte A (which sells for say USD $20) would take a half portion of a very large wrapper quality leaf.

That same portion could be used to make 3 Petit Edmundos which sell for around USD $11 each.

It's more likely that the Montecristo A is in a current production hiatus. As we know, Habanos S.A. has streamlined their regular production catalogue drastically in the last 15 to 20 years, yet no Cohiba or Montecristo regular production cigar has been discontinued this century.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, JohnS said:

It's more likely that the Montecristo A is in a current production hiatus. As we know, Habanos S.A. has streamlined their regular production catalogue drastically in the last 15 to 20 years, yet no Cohiba or Montecristo regular production cigar has been discontinued this century.

Are you sure ?

• Haha 1

I use to have a few 25 count boxes of A's, but realized that I will never get to them all so I sold them off.  Have a partial box and two boxes of coffins.  FWIW, I have had better luck with the coffins than 25 count in terms of draw.  Does not make sense why, but it is what it is...

44 minutes ago, madandana said:

November 2018 I saw a gentleman pick up several boxes of the coffins from LCDH Hotel National.

JUL 18 is my newest box of coffin's.  They look great.  I am glad they are making less and keeping the quality where it needs to be for such a vitola.

When was the last Sancho Sancho?

Picked up a couple of boxes a while back, one from 17, one from 18. I still have yet to smoke one. Yet to find the right time to pull one out. Plus I'm kind of a hoarder. Like to get a few years on them.