Temperature range - which is better?

13 minutes ago, Homer said:

Question to Mr Piggy.

My humidor is cabinet without temp control. Today it was 72F/22celsius and 62% humidity. Does that sound like good enough?

Do your cigars taste good and smoke well? That's all that matters!!

• Like 1

@Shelby07 Its a tough time of year for cigar storage in Colorado. It goes from Bone Dry and Cold, to slightly less bone dry and HOT, seemingly in a week or two. I use both unplugged Newaire wineadors and a coolidor. I usually need to make some adjustments to my cigar oasis units to balance things out as the ambient temperatures rise, but I agree with the others saying Keep It Simple. Drastic swings will do more damage than the two gradual transition periods in fall and spring. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Corylax18 said:

Drastic swings will do more damage than the two gradual transition periods in fall and spring. 

That's the main point.  I fully agree.

Yup.  Colorado is rough.  Put your bulk storage where temps are most stable in the short term (days) and don't worry so much about long term temperature changes (seasonal).  Those week long 105° F (40.5° C) stints we have in July/August are tough for me because I live in a mid-rise condo and it's nearly impossible to keep my home below 80° F (26.6° C) during the middle of the day.  The most interior closet I have is the most stable place here and that's where my WeatherTights live.  Thirteen years living here and I've yet to lose a cigar.  Those mid-summer days are the reason I freeze EVERYTHING.

I recommended a long-span temperature data-logger in another thread.  Handy for this kind of situation.  It's helpful to know what you're actually dealing with inside your containers.  ?

Just to clarify... I believe in keeping it simple. I do keep it simple. The only reason I asked is because I had the 2 choices and was wondering if one was better than the other. I know there are folks here with more knowledge and experience than I have. I use cigar oasis units and have no trouble keeping the humidity within 1 point of its setting. 

And sorry for not converting to centigrade. I’ll keep in mind that this is an international forum.

Here’s a little trick that I use all the time and found quite by accident. Enter “72f to c” in your google search bar and it will do the conversion. It helps for any type of conversion or even time in another location  or I use Siri too, but Siri just seems creepy to me  

Thanks again for all of your replies. 

5 hours ago, Homer said:

Question to Mr Piggy.

My humidor is cabinet without temp control. Today it was 72F/22celsius and 62% humidity. Does that sound like good enough?

This is a guru question. I appreciate the intent of the question, and the peer respect I often get here. As @Corylax18 replies later in the thread, what is your opinion?

You see, if I saw obvious fault 70F and 50rH for example, where I would say that you have likely transgressed the point of potential damage to fines, I would comment in kind.

That being said, your settings are perfect (for me). However, I am reading what you have recorded for your given situation, not accounting for error. If one of your instruments has error, depending on that error, you may have a problem.

This is why you need to learn to read the cigar, and not the prognosticating guru(s). Reading the cigar entails the look, feel, the taste of your stock, so that you can adjust based on what the cigar tells you, not what the guru tells you!

I cannot emphasize this enough. I am an expert on producing specific equipment and controls for that equipment. I make humidors... good ones! I am not an expert smoker. I have no more or less a valid opinion than anyone else you might ask. My advice. Smoke, test, enjoy, become your own expert... Most internet experts motivations are to sell you something, not to have you make the best of what you have!

Cheers! -tP

• Like 2

It still blows my mind that the whole world still cannot use one system. Metric makes perfect sense, why not use it? People are stubborn. But it would eliminate all confusion regarding any measurements. The UK still uses stones for weight right? Still have no idea what that is. Seems barbaric 

We can't even decide what continent we're on...or in or whatever it was we voted for, or didn't.

Thunder & Lightening '75-'15

Speaking of units... somehow being born with our without 'a unit' should be something we can all agree on! The world has just gone out of its collective mind!!!

With that being said, and knowing that C is a lower resolution unit of measure when compared to F, until most consumer instruments start reading 1/100's, you guys are being cheated on the precision side...! Just sayin'...

Carryon... -tP

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'd give the basement a go when you expand to your next coolerdor, and feel free to leave your current stash upstairs and accessible.  Probably the only thing I'd prioritize is going to something with better insulation to slow down your temperature swings.  So if you're keeping a few things in a thinly stocked tupperdore, maybe consider switching that to a cooler.  Although, truth be told, a damn big tupperdore stocked full of boxes will have enough mass that it will be quite slow to swing the 7F that you're seeing upstairs.

Anyway, I'm a fan of stable temps, whatever your choice of specific number.  Most of my cigars are in a 65/65 cellar, in big Tuppers well stocked with 65rH Bovedas, and with a dehumidifier for the room standing by in just in case.  I also have cigars stored at a much higher ambient temp in SE Asia, and they were all a bit off for the first 6 months or so and have since settled down over the years and now smoke fine.  I prefer the stogies from the cellar, but the ones here are good too.  I just think that aging in a calm, cool, collected environment is better for the aging 'chemistry' just my theory, no science to prove it.  Cardboard packs in the heat get stained and discolored quite a bit faster than in the cool storage, so I take that as a sign that I'm losing tasty volatiles to some small degree in the heat.  But if you've got those puppies boxed up in cedar cabs, in tuppers, then those volatiles have fewer places to go.  Anyway, just my rumination on it.

• Like 1