It's official, Spaniards are insane

So I was in in Pollenca on the wonderful island of Majorca last week.  And witnessed the crazy festival of "Pi de Pollenca". Where the pubic (largely young men) try to climb up a 25 metre high peeled, soaped up!!! pine tree.    No safety mats, just a stone cobbled floor, This year the heavens opened with ice cold rain. 

The lad that got to the top, took about an hour in total, through seeming hyperthermia, other people standing on his face, hanging off ropes by his testicles..........just insane.  When he got to the top, he crumbles into floods of tears.   I hope there was at least 10k in the basket, but i'm guessing €50 of beer tokens.     Love these small town festivals,  but would not like to see them go wrong. 

Would rather do the bull run any day

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MD Puffer said:

I'd cry too if I didn't know how the hell I was going to get down...

yep, it was crazy, everyone was screaming at him like he was a monkey, that could just slide down, like it was a firemans pole.   They had failed to notice, that he looked as though he was going to pass out, and has nothing left. 

*I hope he wasn't sweating!!

• Like 2

In Philly, we have an Italian festival every year in South Philly with a similar event, the lard pole.  Same idea, but a metal pole with 100 lb. of pig lard spread over it.  At least this event has pads at the bottom of the pole.  But for the life of me, I cant fathom how someone would look at that and think, "yes, I'll get covered in lard while I'm out away from home and spare cloths and a shower." 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ender1553 said:

We used to smear a watermelon in vaseline and throw it into the swimming pool...

Was in Mallorca not too long ago, shame we missed the festival!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Was it one of these square-shaped Japanese watermelons I've been reading about on this site?  That'd be surreal...

• Like 1