A La Carte Review: SCdlH La Punta

3 minutes ago, 99call said:

Interesting pick.  I've only had this kind of Cardomom hit with EDRM before. 

The only other time I’ve had it was with a Hoyo Grand Epicure. But only one of them, the rest so far have yet to rekindle that feat.

I am hoping the rest of my Puntas do not become my very own madeleine, and I get lost searching for something that once was! 

6 hours ago, thedame007 said:

The only other time I’ve had it was with a Hoyo Grand Epicure. But only one of them, the rest so far have yet to rekindle that feat.

I am hoping the rest of my Puntas do not become my very own madeleine, and I get lost searching for something that once was! 

Great review :)

My first La Punta was from the new to cubans sampler, unknown box code. It was amazing. I now have a box of TOS MAR 17 just like yours, and they’ve been a bit of a ride. A few studs, a few duds, but none have quite recaptured that magic yet. I plan to keep trying!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, thedame007 said:

8 hours ago, thedame007 said:

But I guess the true measure of its finish is in its ability to linger long into my memory

Did you read it in French or in translation? I gather there are two translations, one more literal than the other. I really need to get around to reading it. Alas “Le singe est sur la branche” is about my level. ?

1 hour ago, slowsmoke said:

Great review :)

My first La Punta was from the new to cubans sampler, unknown box code. It was amazing. I now have a box of TOS MAR 17 just like yours, and they’ve been a bit of a ride. A few studs, a few duds, but none have quite recaptured that magic yet. I plan to keep trying!

I feel this is all part of the fun of smoking Cubans - even from the same box you’re going to get multiple smoking experiences. Which can be both frustrating, and also a lot of fun! 

May I wish you all the best for your continual quest, sir! ?

1 hour ago, ayepatz said:

Did you read it in French or in translation? I gather there are two translations, one more literal than the other. I really need to get around to reading it. Alas “Le singe est sur la branche” is about my level. ?

It’s safe to say with my C in French GCSE that I did not read Proust in French ?

Last year I also got round to reading “if proust was a neuroscientist” - which is a very interesting book, and in particular I really loved the notion on ‘confabulation’, and how memory rewrites and constructs their own ‘reality’, so we can find ourselves chasing the memory of something that never was.

The whole thing links to my geekly love for post-modernism/structuralism theory and ideas! 

17 minutes ago, cfc1016 said:

Wait... were you smoking tobacco... or was this a different kinda journey? ?

Well to say I've just come from your review where you were knee deep in psychedelic chills, I think only one of us has visited their ancestors on a 'spirit walk'! :D 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, thedame007 said:

Well to say I've just come from your review where you were knee deep in psychedelic chills, I think only one of us has visited their ancestors on the a 'spirit walk'! :D 

It would seem I've walked that road enough that I now find myself perpetually straddling it. I, uhhh... made the most of my 20s.

My father (the writer) and his father-in-law (the law professor) were sitting around once commiserating about the ailments and aches that seem to inevitably accompany aging. I was maybe 8 years old. I'm listening to what sounded like terrible premonitions of what was to come later in my life (turned out to be true). Once there was a break in the conversation, I got my dad's attention. "Father, I wish to embrace youth while it lasts." His father-in-law's eyes bug out as he turns to my father and says "Chris... that is YOUR son".

I certainly followed through on that wish.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, cfc1016 said:

It would seem I've walked that road enough that I now find myself perpetually straddling it. I, uhhh... made the most of my 20s.

My father (the writer) and his father-in-law (the law professor) were sitting around once commiserating about the ailments and aches that seem to inevitably accompany aging. I was maybe 8 years old. I'm listening to what sounded like terrible premonitions of what was to come later in my life (turned out to be true). Once there was a break in the conversation, I got my dad's attention. "Father, I wish to embrace youth while it lasts." His father-in-law's eyes bug out as he turns to my father and says "Chris... that is YOUR son".

I certainly followed through on that wish.

I do not know if this was a dreamscape parable where the 'creative' and 'analytical' hemispheres of the brain are in moot, or if this actually happened - which is fantastic! :D

But you are quite correct, life is for the living, and we must each figure out how it is we want to live it! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, thedame007 said:

I do not know if this was a dreamscape parable where the 'creative' and 'analytical' hemispheres of the brain are in moot, or if this actually happened - which is fantastic! :D

But you are quite correct, life is for the living, and we must each figure out how it is we want to live it! 

Though I will admit to quite a few experiences of ego death, and anthropomorphism of spirits and such, the previous anecdote was entirely real ?

• Thanks 1