Minot senator wants to legalize smoking cigars in "cigar bars"

To our North Dakota members...keep us in the loop as to how this pans out. :thumbsup:

Minot senator wants to legalize smoking cigars in "cigar bars"

By DAVE THOMPSON  42 MINUTES AGO

2009-0521-ND-StateCapitol_1.jpg

A bill in the North Dakota Legislature would allow cigar smoking in "cigar bars."

Sen. Oley Larsen (R-Minot) said he introduced the bill on behalf of a constituent.

His bill would only permit cigars, and the bar has to generate 10 percent or more of its gross annual income from the sale of cigars.

"I've been to VIP bars where they smoke cigars," Larsen said. "It's a whole different type of atmosphere."

Larsen said this would be a niche bill.

"Smoking cigars is legal," Larsen said. "There's not a huge amount of people who rush to do it."

The measure defines “cigar” as a roll of tobacco, with a wrapper or cover consisting only of tobacco, and is sold without a filter.

Larsen said it would not be open to cigarette smoking.

I had to pop in and see if it was the only Minot I have known, the one of my home state of North Dakota.  Never in a million years growing up did I think I would be reading a post that went up in Australia about Minot North Dakota on a Cuban Cigar forum.  Just for the record, should anyone care a tiny bit, Minot is pronounced like "My not."

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Drguano said:

Aficionados searching for the cigar lounge in Minot on a typical day...

Snow.thumb.jpg.c2755494dc157dbe407c53fa4c29cf72.jpg

2 minutes ago, El Presidente said:

Poor bastards.  They deserve a cigar bar :o:spotlight:

This makes me want a  post a pic of my pops working outside there in ND a couple winters ago. He is as bad off as those guys look in the pic. 

Michigan passed that same law about 15 yrs ago with the smoking ban.  Any cigar bar had to generate 10% of the revenue from cigar sales. 

My favorite cigar bar, the Sequoia Lounge in Flint Michigan, also served food from the attached steakhouse.  Well, they couldn't maintain the 10% rule, so they lost their cigar license.  What was once a stellar cigar bar with food, spirits and live music is no more.  I stop by there just to have a beer and remember the packed house on Thursdays and Saturdays my wife and I use to enjoy with some great live bands.  Met some lifelong friends there.  Such a shame they had to lose their cigar license....sigh.

15 hours ago, Derboesekoenig said:

I was born in North Dakota...they better get their cigar bar...there's nothing else to do there. I would never wish ND on anyone. Might as well live in Siberia

that is a reference I usually make :D.  Small world, rarely do I run into another native ND. 

If this is successful, I’d love to hear more about it. Alaska recently passed extremely strict anti-smoking laws for all public spaces. Would be nice if we could have a [public] lounge here in Anchorage. Maybe I need to start lobbying my representatives. ? 

59 minutes ago, cfc1016 said:

If this is successful, I’d love to hear more about it. Alaska recently passed extremely strict anti-smoking laws for all public spaces. Would be nice if we could have a [public] lounge here in Anchorage. Maybe I need to start lobbying my representatives. ? 

One thought I had, is opening a "private club" for members.  I wonder if something like that would be doable?

5 minutes ago, HopeUgood said:

One thought I had, is opening a "private club" for members.  I wonder if something like that would be doable?

That's the available option here in Anchorage. It's bloody expensive though, so I just moved to a place where I could smoke in my living room, and bought good air filters. Would be nice to meet new faces over a cigar though.

21 minutes ago, cfc1016 said:

That's the available option here in Anchorage. It's bloody expensive though, so I just moved to a place where I could smoke in my living room, and bought good air filters. Would be nice to meet new faces over a cigar though.

Indoor smoking lounge in your house ?, I like that option!   I hear ya though, shame the club is a expensive, maybe you  could get a group going  or something up there. 

• Like 1

Good for Minot. They deserve it because there ain't $hit else to do there. We have a consulting office is Bismarck for one of the large oil companies. I've spent a bunch of time in Minot because that was they only place around to stay before the oil fields to the west became "developed". I hope it passes for those good people. 

6 hours ago, HopeUgood said:

that is a reference I usually make :D.  Small world, rarely do I run into another native ND. 

Same here. Looks like you moved to what, the polar opposite of ND? I don't blame you.

My parents both grew up in Minnesota, and their parents as well. Cannot stand that accent.

11 hours ago, Derboesekoenig said:

Same here. Looks like you moved to what, the polar opposite of ND? I don't blame you.

My parents both grew up in Minnesota, and their parents as well. Cannot stand that accent.

Pretty much feels like the polar opposite of ND, especially SF.  

oooooaah ta accents naught tat bad ?.....ooofta 

• Like 1