December Cuba Trip Report (1st Time)

Excellent and indeed, very thorough report. Well done. Glad you had a good trip. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, HDGSN said:

The first night on the way to Conde, we passed the LCDH Mercaderes right as it was closing.  The guy closing shop asked if I wanted to buy cigars.  I told him yes thinking he would let me take a quick peek.  Nope.  He decided to try to sell me fakes!  Considering it has a storefront in the cruise ship area and Reynaldo's is tucked in a courtyard, I figure this store sees the most casual cigar tourists, but I would not have guessed a Habanos S.A. employee would try to pawn me fakes right when locking his store!!

- The only DC cabs were Punch DCs.  I saw 13 - 8 at Libre, 2 at Melia Cohiba, 1 at Riviera, and 2 at Melia Habana.  All had the same 2017 code, but I can't remember the factory code.

- The stores were ghost towns on Sunday.  I was the only person shopping at every store except for a Dutch guy wanting Siglo VI at Conde and a group of Chinese looking for Cohiba at Comodoro.

Not surprised about the fakes...

I am, however, surprised about the Punch DCs. They were mentioned back when everyone went in November, and I figured they would be gone by now. WOW!

So Sunday is the day to go huh? I thought everything would be closed on Sunday. I will have to keep note of that for sure.

Ahhh yes, the Chinese. They are obsessed with Cohiba, and the main reason why barely any Cohiba exists in Cuba lol

Thanks for the update! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Derboesekoenig said:

Not surprised about the fakes...

I am, however, surprised about the Punch DCs. They were mentioned back when everyone went in November, and I figured they would be gone by now. WOW!

So Sunday is the day to go huh? I thought everything would be closed on Sunday. I will have to keep note of that for sure.

Ahhh yes, the Chinese. They are obsessed with Cohiba, and the main reason why barely any Cohiba exists in Cuba lol

Thanks for the update! 

Sunday is the day for someone that does not care to meet Yolanda, Alex or really any of the other rollers. Reynaldo was the only one in shop, but he was just hanging out and running the register - not rolling. I tried to get him to do a demonstration roll for my wife to see, and he wasn’t having it.  I think most of the shops are open 9-6 on Sundays.  Libre was open till 7.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, stogieluver said:

Great report.  Love the detail.

@Ryan as a Moderator, it would be helpful, imo, if this was in the Cuba Travel forum. 

I was going to double post it but got lazy and figured more eyeballs would see it here. Should probably be moved for posterity as threads don’t slip down the pages so much over there.

What a great write up of a lovely trip-insanely jealous!

I hope to go maybe next year, mainly to try the customs. Never had one. Which was your favourite? Which regular production cigars do they most resemble? Thanks 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BJRPorter said:

Well done on the post.

Sounds like Sir Winstons were what you wanted most? What was your Rum purchase of the trip?

Food sounds like it was a mixed bag?

Yes, Sir Winstons and Fundies were top of my list and budget. The cost difference down there is so significant on those two.

For rum I got Santiago 12, HC7, HC Anejo Reserva (x2) and Mulata. Haven’t tried the Santiago yet, but the Mulata may be the best of the others.

Food is good but pricy in the restaurants. We had trouble finding simple places with cheap sandwiches, beans and rice in Old Havana. There were some small places in Vedado, but all the sandwiches would sell out quick. 

• Like 1