Trompe l'oeil Silver cigar boxes of Russia and Germany

1 minute ago, ayepatz said:

Are they matchboxes? Very cool.

The Russian and Dunhill boxes are bigger and for cigars (sometimes with cedar lining), whereas the smaller German ones are vesta, or match boxes to you and I. With gouged striking lines on the side

The bellied Henry Clay one is currently on Ebay for closing in on £500. But me no likey, if it was the 'Sol' one I'd be struggling not to jump in, as its unbelievable work

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, nKostyan said:

Looks like an old school replica. If we believe the inscription, this box for cigarettes without a filter, as example:

Many thanks for the information, I love having our resident Russian expert on hand :2thumbs:

That is really impressive. I have not seen anything like this. When were these made?

My Russian is a little rough, but it says 100 sticks something something....1 ruble?

And I recognize "tavarish"-something. Or the German equivalent would be comrade. Interesting

This is a pre-revolutionary box, when the ruble was provided with gold. For example the adult cow fed on meat at the market cost 3 rubles. The rules of the Russian language also changed after the revolution.

On 1/1/2019 at 8:11 AM, Piligrim said:

the sign in Russian at this picture means Imported tobacco in old Russian

Very interesting, as I don't think I've ever seen any old style (i.e. white trim, flor fina stamp) boxes with Russian import labels on them

• 4 years later...
On 6/18/2023 at 2:39 PM, dangolf18 said:
Nice. I have a nice H Upmann Russian one from my grandmother. Engraved on the inside and from 1901.

The inscription reads: “In memory of the day of the benefit of the director A.N.Herman from the choir. Penza city”

• Thanks 1

• 6 months later...